• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I got offered 15% off and I didn’t even really say I was ready to make a purchase. Didn’t go for it as I’m considering the Genelec 8351b and haven’t had the opportunity to hear them yet.
I like both sets. From what I have seen, the LS60 are the LS50 wireless II extra hot version.

However, compared to the Genelec Ones, there are two reasons why I'd go Genelec: room correction and capacity to upgrade to multichannel.

TSB

Heard them today. Great. Extremely neutral without harshness, distortion or undue emphasis in any part of the response. They don't play super loud. If I find 6k on the street tomorrow I might buy them. Makes you listen to the music.

AudioGod66

No way I would pay the Australian price - especially after the Kef LS 50 wireless 1 backstab Zero Kef support !Did Kef offer a cheap upgrade to LS50 wireless 2?

Last edited:

sifi36

I like both sets. From what I have seen, the LS60 are the LS50 wireless II extra hot version.

However, compared to the Genelec Ones, there are two reasons why I'd go Genelec: room correction and capacity to upgrade to multichannel.

I’m looking to set up a 2 channel system for a 15sqm living room. It’ll be used for a mixture of music and TV; I’ve no desire for a multichannel system in this space, I don’t want 7+ speakers cluttering up my main lounge and I’m sadly not in a position to have a dedicated space now or in the near future.

If the KEF’s had room correction or at least PEQ for manual correction I’d probably have bought them by now, as I prefer the way they look (though unlike some, I’m not averse to the aesthetics of The Ones, especially in the raw aluminium finish). I could get the LS60 and a KF92 for a true full-range, near SOTA system (if equalisation was possible), for less than a pair of 8351b. Plus there’s the simplicity of a no box solution and being able to use the TV remote for volume for example.

Come on KEF, add Dirac and push me over the edge already…

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I’m looking to set up a 2 channel system for a 15sqm living room. It’ll be used for a mixture of music and TV; I’ve no desire for a multichannel system in this space, I don’t want 7+ speakers cluttering up my main lounge and I’m sadly not in a position to have a dedicated space now or in the near future.

If the KEF’s had room correction or at least PEQ for manual correction I’d probably have bought them by now, as I prefer the way they look (though unlike some, I’m not averse to the aesthetics of The Ones, especially in the raw aluminium finish). I could get the LS60 and a KF92 for a true full-range, near SOTA system (if equalisation was possible), for less than a pair of 8351b. Plus there’s the simplicity of a no box solution and being able to use the TV remote for volume for example.

Exactly my concerns. Multichannel options for me is a must, but so is EQ.

I agree on the "no box" part, or at least the "less boxes" (or smaller) as you'd still need to plug the sources.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly my concerns. Multichannel options for me is a must, but so is EQ.

I agree on the "no box" part, or at least the "less boxes" (or smaller) as you'd still need to plug the sources.
And dynamic loudness, RME-style, while at it.

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
…I could get the LS60 and a KF92 for a true full-range, near SOTA system (if equalisation was possible), for less than a pair of 8351b. …
I just ordered a pair of 8361A’s for the same price LS60’s go for here (Canada)…

Tangband

Major Contributor

Roomcorrection is not as important as you think if you can place the speakers in an optimal spot in the listeningroom, -If you have a good room. ie its not a dealbreaker . At best it can be the icing on the cake. Extensive roomcorrection ( to much ) also always makes the sound slightly worse in some points ( bass impact, dynamics )

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor

Easy. Get an AVR (one box), run it in preamp mode only, hook up LS60 (boxes two and three) and use Audyssey or Dirac to dial in the sound incl the KF92 (four boxes) and use the TV remote to crank it up. (Who cares about the superfluous power amps in the AVR). ;-)

stren

Forum Donor
Easy. Get an AVR (one box), run it in preamp mode only, hook up LS60 (boxes two and three) and use Audyssey or Dirac to dial in the sound incl the KF92 (four boxes) and use the TV remote to crank it up. (Who cares about the superfluous power amps in the AVR). ;-)

If y'all haven't realized that such slim speaker tech would be useful as a centre speaker that is also a home theatre hub.... then... yeah. LS60C launch within 1-2 years I would say ;)

sifi36

In that scenario, if I use the built in streamer I lose the sub don’t I?

Tangband

Major Contributor
In that scenario, if I use the built in streamer I lose the sub don’t I?
You can always buy a Linn majik DS second hand - good sound and a built in kick-ass room correction called space optimization. This system sounds better than Dirak in my opinion. AVR:s continues to be toys.

The best sound is probably to use the Kef ls60:s inbuilt streamer - the sound from this goes probably direct in digital form into the active dsp crossover and you save an A/D and D/A conversion.
This advantage is probably bigger than using roomcorrection programes with an inferior source signal .

Last edited:

Harryharryharry

Has anyone worked out how to add room correction into the system whilst retaining it's integrity? Needing an avr doesn't sound like a good solution to me.

Would a digital minidsp flex into the toslink do the job? That would cover music but not TV.

At this point though you're buying a dsp and streamer to add to an 'all in one' solution. Such a shame they didn't add Dirac.

How feasible do you think it is to add some kind of peq or room correction as an update?

sifi36

I just ordered a pair of 8361A’s for the same price LS60’s go for here (Canada)…

Congratulations on the purchase, will they be for stereo or multichannel? UK prices for the KEFs are less than the 8351b and even less once dealer discount is allowed for. 8361a would be almost twice as much after dealer discount here. I guess with KEF’s home market being the UK we get pretty favourable pricing relative to the rest of the world.

sifi36

Roomcorrection is not as important as you think if you can place the speakers in an optimal spot in the listeningroom, -If you have a good room. ie its not a dealbreaker . At best it can be the icing on the cake. Extensive roomcorrection ( to much ) also always makes the sound slightly worse in some points ( bass impact, dynamics )

It’s not a great room, unfortunately. 4.2mx3.5m with a hefty chimney breast on one of the long walls (speakers will be positioned either side). Large bay window to the right and engineered timber floor. I have got 3m ceilings so that’s something I suppose!

TSB

Has anyone worked out how to add room correction into the system whilst retaining it's integrity? Needing an avr doesn't sound like a good solution to me.

Would a digital minidsp flex into the toslink do the job? That would cover music but not TV.

At this point though you're buying a dsp and streamer to add to an 'all in one' solution. Such a shame they didn't add Dirac.

How feasible do you think it is to add some kind of peq or room correction as an update?
Very feasible. :)

Reactions: AOR

MCH

Major Contributor
Why wouldn't it cover tv? Because of the latency? I don't have a flex + ls60 but i use a 2x4hd that takes toslink from tv and there is almost no latency.

Harryharryharry

Why wouldn't it cover tv? Because of the latency? I don't have a flex + ls60 but i use a 2x4hd that takes toslink from tv and there is almost no latency.
Oh yeah you could plug the TV into the flex too

So the best way to get room correction is add a flex + streamer like Wiim mini. Seems a bit ridiculous for a £6k all in one system though!

Top Bottom