• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Incredible product. However I can only hope and pray the electronics can detach from these and be shipped for repairs.

That time may come that you need service and the thought of shipping these for repair is the stuff of nightmares.

Just shipping a pair of LS50 wireless the UPS gorillas managed to turn a pair of double boxed ones into a dented and damaged mess. I even had extra cardboard to cover the drivers and they managed to dent the drivers. It’s incredible how much damage they can cause.

I also forgot to get declared value on them. Which would have cost $80. But then again they have a tendency to deny claims. They approved mine because they knew they only were on the hook for shipping cost.

Detachable electronics is a must for me to consider them. There is no way I could imagine shipping something of that shape, size or heft.

Also I don’t know if the new app is serviceable. You would need to keep a phone of this generation around to ensure long term compatibility and never update it.

Better if they just put a web server in it instead.

A holy grail level product just let down by practical concerns.

Edit: I do want to be fair and point out that all my interactions with KEF service were top level. They did everything in their power to help me. Including first of all accepting the repair outside of the warranty period. Then when the UPS fiasco happened immediately sent me a prepaid label to send it back to them.

Without getting into details they have basically made me whole. They really do stand behind the product and the brand. They will not leave a customer hanging or deny responsible. In my case they went far beyond what they were contractually required to.

Last edited:
6288224C-8DBA-4956-BDAB-CCDA2E926C8C.jpeg
the new work station. I know these aren’t meant for nearfield…

Krillin

It's not just an active speaker, it includes the streaming/content you need. I.e. it's not meant to be used with a big chunky AVP
Just noticed why this is not meant to be used with a big chunky AVP. These are only sold in pairs and the speaker connections are not identical. One of the two speakers is basically the controller. A matching LCR will be a challenge with the LS60.

I really think KEF is onto something here. Hopefully they release an AVP friendly version of this, I'm impressed with what an active version can achieve. Also, totally dig the force-canceling woofers and slim inert cabinet.

LS-60-bakside-scaled.jpg

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I really think KEF is onto something here. Hopefully they release an AVP friendly version of this, I'm impressed with what an active version can achieve. Also, totally dig the force-canceling woofers and slim inert cabinet.
What they should develop is a multichannel-capable master speaker as an alternative to the stereo one. Then one can attach as many networked slaves as one needs.

Krillin

Because I didn't know that one could attach so many. So how would three channel work out of an AVR/AVP for a matching LCR? I only see RCA L/R in on this when the processor only has balanced out and HDMI video out. So balanced to RCA could work but what about the center channel?

If these are shipped in pairs it seems like the procedure is to beg a store to spit apart a set? Which means $14,000 before any sales or depreciation with time if they are unwilling.

mx180-back.jpg

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What they should develop is a multichannel-capable master speaker as an alternative to the stereo one. Then one can attach as many networked slaves as one needs.
I would be a little surprised if they can't firmware update this to work with the wireless connections at least. If I was doing the software for this thing, I would have planned that from the start...

The wired option would obviously require a hardware hub with more inputs on the master speaker so that requires a new speaker. But they could make such a speaker and sell it singly to be used as a center with existing pairs, with a firmware update that allows the old master to become a slave to the new multichannel master.

They could also just make a multichannel hub box and sell the LS60 slaves as singles.

nothingman

I think it’s most likely you all are doing some wishful thinking and that KEF has no multichannel plans at all for the LS60 or the immediate future of their wireless/active lineup. Multichannel means a range of different and constantly evolving formats and multichannel to some means 5.1, others 7.1, and others whatever crazy 11.4.4-or-GTFO setups are possible with Atmos. Plus in an active system you are talking about people having to run AC mains to at least a half a dozen different places in their room which they should really only do with a professional electrician, unlike speaker cable which any old installer or DIYer can manage.

Maybe, just maybe, when they say it’s a simple 2-channel system they really mean it.

this is me

Does anyone know if the LS60 can be hooked up as the Front L/R of my home theater system. Essentially, I would like to preout the L/R channel in my NAD M17 to the LS60 and have the rest going to my M17 to power the rest of the speaker channels.
I would use the AUX L/R input in the LS60. Would this work.

KMO

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anyone know if the LS60 can be hooked up as the Front L/R of my home theater system. Essentially, I would like to preout the L/R channel in my NAD M17 to the LS60 and have the rest going to my M17 to power the rest of the speaker channels.
Yes, they would work fine. You can set the aux inputs as a wake up source so they come on automatically.

They'd have a bit of extra latency compared to any passive speakers, but that would be dealt with by the auto-calibration giving them longer-than-real-life distances.

The manual recommend volume 71 as the magic number for "unity gain" if you're controlling volume/level trims upstream in the receiver - there's no way to lock this though.

Danaxus

You can connect the LS60's to the RCA Audio Pre-outs of your NAD. Alternatively, I think you could use the coaxial out (which would probably be slightly better), but I'm not sure.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Or even a solution such as a switch to pass the digital signal once decoded.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps a centre channel that acts as an uber-primary/processor could do it? KEF wouldn’t need to stock multiple SKUs for 5 or 7 bed channels or packages that do and don’t include height channels, so it would be lower risk from a stockholding perspective. The proliferation of eARC and the speakers having their own DSP and amplification negates the need for a processor. In fact, it’s less likely to turn obsolete, as it’ll be fine until eARC is supplanted (which I can’t see anytime soon). Whereas it’s usually display advances that make receivers and processors outdated every few years.

They carry on selling LSX, LS50WII and LS60 as pairs and those people that want multi channel can pick whatever combination suits, pair it with the centre and you’ve got an amazing active home cinema that becomes an excellent two channel system when needed. I guess the duplicated inputs and streamers are unnecessary and would add to the cost of the setup. On the other hand, it allows people to grow the system over time, which has its own benefits.
They should take a look at what SONOS is doing...
I bet this is not easy to replicate or everybody would be on that, but Kef seems to have the engineering chops to pull such. We'll see...

Peace

KMO

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Alternatively, I think you could use the coaxial out (which would probably be slightly better), but I'm not sure.
I doubt it - the manual's not clear what goes out of those digital outs, but I doubt it's a post-Audyssey, post-bass-managment, post-volume signal for L/R.

nefilim

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They should take a look at what SONOS is doing...
I bet this is not easy to replicate or everybody would be on that, but Kef seems to have the engineering chops to pull such. We'll see...
All of this should just be a few firmware updates away. Basically all the needed technology is already in the damn speakers.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Coming from you, Kal, this suggestion is shocking!

:D
:)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
All of this should just be a few firmware updates away. Basically all the needed technology is already in the damn speakers.
Perhaps there is a processor limit. I do not know for sure, but from a user's perspective, it seems very doable.
I think it’s most likely you all are doing some wishful thinking and that KEF has no multichannel plans at all for the LS60 or the immediate future of their wireless/active lineup. Multichannel means a range of different and constantly evolving formats and multichannel to some means 5.1, others 7.1, and others whatever crazy 11.4.4-or-GTFO setups are possible with Atmos. Plus in an active system you are talking about people having to run AC mains to at least a half a dozen different places in their room which they should really only do with a professional electrician, unlike speaker cable which any old installer or DIYer can manage.

Maybe, just maybe, when they say it’s a simple 2-channel system they really mean it.
Atmos has been with us for a decade, DTS X since 2015.

The evolutionary part is software and that can be updated without changing the material setup. Height speakers are quité consolidated.

I agree on the part of plugs for powered speakers as being extra inconvenient, but the evolution argument is not that clear.

delta76

Major Contributor
Wow, the pref. score :eek: . my jaw dropped. Looks like this will be my dream speaker if I am to upgrade. Is there a reason NOT to buy these ?

Ciobi69

Wow, the pref. score :eek: . my jaw dropped. Looks like this will be my dream speaker if I am to upgrade. Is there a reason NOT to buy these ?
A no buy for me it's the integrated amp ,wish it was passive

Top Bottom