• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Ohhhh, don't tell me that...
Sorry. They are woofers. Only if the coax was really full range would they be subs (and tiny ones at that).

Petrini

Our hosts here aren’t keen on us breaking Kef’s embargo. Sorry.
You don’t have to post them, just tell me how to find them .
I’ve already ordered a pair of Blue ones, but are having second thoughts about the colour.

HeadDoc12

Forum Donor
My setup with the LS50WII and 2 KC62s is rated at 1,380 watts per channel. I hope these are at least 1,200. Also, class D for the tweeter would be nice...

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry. They are woofers. Only if the coax was really full range would they be subs (and tiny ones at that).
It does solve the biggest real problem of the LS50 though which is that 5" with a hole in the middle is a midrange that is struggling very hard to play the part of a woofer even with a sub, let alone without.

With a crossover around 400-500hz and 4x 5" woofers they should be a pretty decent, if not exceptionally powerful, 3-way. Bit better than the R7 but not as powerful as the R11. There should also be a little improved low frequency directivity from the woofer arrangement but not as much as the Blades.

Some people would probably be happy with that without subs. Certainly not me, lol.

AwesomeSauce2015

You don’t have to post them, just tell me how to find them .
I’ve already ordered a pair of Blue ones, but are having second thoughts about the colour.
There definitely aren't any photos on this forum page: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/kef-ls60-towers-incoming.1143615/page-2
(If you don't scroll down, sarcasm doesn't often translate to text, but italics help)

My guess as to drivers is the coax unit from the r-series, maybe with the meta stuff, maybe not. -- Though it could be the blade unit.
(Leaked photos show too small of a surround to be anything from the prior LS-series)
Then 4x "Force Cancelling" mid-woofers of some sort. Ported most likely, knowing the blades.
The woofers will probably be 5". Something smaller than the blade 2, but once again it could just be the blade 2 drivers.

If they do end up being blade 2 drivers, they'll only be offered in an active configuration, as to not cannibalize the blade 2 sales. If they are R-series + meta drivers, then it may be offered without amps, but that would probably undercut the blade 2 too much. Of course, option 3 is they do blade drivers, but without the meta stuff. That would allow for product segmentation and a competitive price.

As for the price (pair),
LS50W2 - $2800, KC62 - $1500
Blade 2 - $28000, R7 - $4500
Somewhere more than LS50W2 + KC62; way less than Blade 2, but probably higher than R7 (due to amps)
$6000 sounds about right, especially considering the fancy box design, active electronics, and shipping cost associated with a tower speaker. Though it would be nice if they would offer a cheaper, passive option... but then the R7 would be pointless.

Petrini

There definitely aren't any photos on this forum page: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/kef-ls60-towers-incoming.1143615/page-2
(If you don't scroll down, sarcasm doesn't often translate to text, but italics help)

My guess as to drivers is the coax unit from the r-series, maybe with the meta stuff, maybe not. -- Though it could be the blade unit.
(Leaked photos show too small of a surround to be anything from the prior LS-series)
Then 4x "Force Cancelling" mid-woofers of some sort. Ported most likely, knowing the blades.
The woofers will probably be 5". Something smaller than the blade 2, but once again it could just be the blade 2 drivers.

If they do end up being blade 2 drivers, they'll only be offered in an active configuration, as to not cannibalize the blade 2 sales. If they are R-series + meta drivers, then it may be offered without amps, but that would probably undercut the blade 2 too much. Of course, option 3 is they do blade drivers, but without the meta stuff. That would allow for product segmentation and a competitive price.

As for the price (pair),
LS50W2 - $2800, KC62 - $1500
Blade 2 - $28000, R7 - $4500
Somewhere more than LS50W2 + KC62; way less than Blade 2, but probably higher than R7 (due to amps)
$6000 sounds about right, especially considering the fancy box design, active electronics, and shipping cost associated with a tower speaker. Though it would be nice if they would offer a cheaper, passive option... but then the R7 would be pointless.
Thanks

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My guess as to drivers is the coax unit from the r-series, maybe with the meta stuff, maybe not.
Since both the LS50 2nd gen and LS50W2 already came with Meta (and each speaker they released since...), there's no debate about the newcomer. It also will...

Also, why would KEF use R-series drivers when this exists in the same lineup?

What are you talking about? LS60? Not a chance...

Last edited:

Petrini

Since both the LS50 2nd gen and LS50W2 already came with Meta (and each speaker they released since...), there's no debate about the newcomer. It also will...

Also, why would KEF use R-series drivers when this exists in the same lineup?

What are you talking about? LS60? Not a chance...
Yes; LS60, havent seen them and dont know the cost. But i talked to the importer, so a pair got my name on it, when they get here. Dont know when they do, but some time this summer.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep. Honestly, it doesn't make that much sense when using an active/DSP controlled crossover design. Sure, the driver's surrounding differ when asking for more low end output from the dual concentric. Yet, it will be "Meta" anyway.
It’s a totally different design philosophy: you can optimize for efficiency and midrange distortion vs bass extension. That needs a less powerful amplifier as well and leaves more enclosure volume for the basses. That it will be Meta is basically evident by now.

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
For parts bin and lower price bound I'd look at Ci5160REF-THX (cf R11) but likely with gen 12 Uni-Q including Meta plus amps. Don’t expect cheap, value maybe.
KEF_Ci5160REF_1024x1024.jpeg

Last edited:

Castiel83

Is everyone here sure it doesn't have active subwoofers built in? Can the pros tell from a photo? Then I wouldn't wait any longer and buy the LS50 with subwoofer. Because with film sound, a subwoofer will be important.

F1308

Major Contributor
Is everyone here sure it doesn't have active subwoofers built in? Can the pros tell from a photo? Then I wouldn't wait any longer and buy the LS50 with subwoofer. Because with film sound, a subwoofer will be important.
Not me !!!!
I want four tiny subwoofers in total.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The LS50 has weak bass even with a sub unless you cross that sub over extremely high, and even then...there is a reason the 5" uni-q is crossed at ~400hz in Kef 3-ways.

The LS60 wireless is too small and narrow to have useful built-in subs. But that's fine, a sub is a requirement for good HT sound regardless of what speakers you have.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would not expect a lot of output below 40 Hz from these.

Top Bottom