• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Juson Audio JTA35 Tube Amplifier, DAC & HP Amp Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 94 37.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 103 40.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 49 19.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 6 2.4%

• Total voters

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
$180 for a multi-function tube amp makes it about impossible to get good results, especially with so many features. So I think a clear case of you get what you pay for. I for one, must admit, I have a soft spot for some tube amps, which I attribute to the fact my ears must like 2nd and/or 3rd harmonic distortion, but this one does not seem to meet my threshold, thought they did a pretty good job aesthetically and with some nice binding posts, etc.

At this price range one must expect the power supply, transistors and any transformers must be on the rather cheap side. I guess on the positive side if it turns some newbie into an aspiring audio enthusiast than it may have a place. Of course some $180 all in one solid state offerings will blow it away in terms of measurements.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I might opt for this one instead. Maybe PE will send one to Amir.

gvl

Major Contributor
Anyone can speculate on the profit they make selling one unit? Must be close to nothing.

usersky

Forum Donor
For a product at this price and functionality with the accent on FUN factor, I managed to get over my internal conflict and voted fine. It sings after all!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Is the output transformer non-functional? Or output transformer for transistor?
There are no output transformers in the Dayton.

Now, as for the titular Juson -- @amirm do "we" know what tube types are under the cage?
One is, of course, most curious. :)
I am guessing a couple of small-signal tubes. Could be triodes or pentodes. Recent fashion for Chinese-sourced vacuum tube gizmos are pentodes (e.g., the Chinese 6K4 found in the FX-Audio "Tube-03" and its kin).

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have it fine.
1) it’s a tube preamp, so we know it’s not going to be transparent. So you need
A) tube cage for safety
B) remote control
C) ability to drive different loads

I worry less about total wattage but I take this to understand that it is stable enough at 2 ohms.

2) now you have to deal with DAC, Bluetooth, VU meter, and phono.

@amirm can you run overload measurements for
The phono?

What about the Dac? I assume the amp is the limiting factor but it would be good to know that the DAC doesn’t have some egregious issue.

It performs poorly, but may actually still be good enough to enjoy and at $180, it’s a compelling option if you are truly limited at this price point.

Sengin

What's the goal for tube amps? To be clean - reproduce audio as accurately as possible? I was under the impression/expectation that if I'm looking at a tube amp, I would want it to add saturation (i.e. "distortion that I like"). That is, the objective measurements will never be 'good' for a tube amp as it is usually designed to add harmonics. Or would a good score be a tube amp that only adds harmonics and not noise?

I guess I'm wondering what the goal of measuring tube amps is for this site, if they will always measure poorly (by design). I'm asking out of ignorance here - I prefer as accurate a reproduction as possible - I can add warmth/saturation/distortion in software if I wanted. That is - if I want my amp to add a little something (hence looking for tubes), but it's FR is clean, wouldn't I feel like it's a bad product?

gsp1971

Forum Donor
What's the goal for tube amps? To be clean - reproduce audio as accurately as possible? I was under the impression/expectation that if I'm looking at a tube amp, I would want it to add saturation (i.e. "distortion that I like"). That is, the objective measurements will never be 'good' for a tube amp as it is usually designed to add harmonics. Or would a good score be a tube amp that only adds harmonics and not noise?

I guess I'm wondering what the goal of measuring tube amps is for this site, if they will always measure poorly (by design). I'm asking out of ignorance here - I prefer as accurate a reproduction as possible - I can add warmth/saturation/distortion in software if I wanted. That is - if I want my amp to add a little something (hence looking for tubes), but it's FR is clean, wouldn't I feel like it's a bad product?
The goal of ANY amp is to amplify the incoming signal without adding or taking away anything, isn't it?

The question is what is your goal with respect to amps? If you like your amp to add some "distortion that you like" (as you put it), maybe add a little noise too, maybe your speakers can add a little distortion as well, then will you be hearing the music your source is playing or some distorted version of it?

PS "warmth" does not exist on audio, what you refer to as "warmth" is in fact distortion, even-order harmonic distortion (mostly 2nd harmonic) which our ears perceive as "pleasing", or at least "not annoying".

GS

D700

I don't get rid of much -- but I did sell my heritage Klipsch loudspeakers.
They weren't bookshelfs, though -- unless your tastes run to pre-Renaissance codices (codexes?). ;)

Beauty

gsp1971

Forum Donor
It's surprising to me how many people in this forum would actually contemplate buying this product, for different reasons !!!!

• Low cost (can't argue with that)
  • Small form factor (can't argue with that either, although there are similar offerings from the likes of Topping which are more transparent)
  • VU Meter (Oh, Amir)
  • Tube glow for romantic evenings (whatever happened to candles?)
PS Don't take any of the above personally, humor intended.

GS

TNT

Yes, Amir explained it in a thread, if the company sends the product Amir allows them to decide whether, after seeing the results, they want to publish it or not. Obviously this benefit does not exist if the product is provided by a user or purchased by Amir
Once at amirm - there should be no going back I think...

//

raindance

Major Contributor
Is the output transformer non-functional? Or output transformer for transistor?
Well, there's only one, so it would be mono. Plus the tubes are FAR too small for the output power this thing measures. Plus it's far too light. A 50x50 watt tube amp with output transformers will weigh 50+ lbs. Although I think you're commenting on the Dayton and I'm commenting on the Juson.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Good heavens! I'd missed that it also has a phono input until I saw post 50.

1704483892684.gif

:cool:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Honestly the high distortion and uneven FR are probably most of the appeal with this thing.

Those graphs (to me) look like the output of a "tube warmer" DSP plugin. One of those subtle channel sweeteners you throw on vocals or drums just to "warm them up" a bit. You get some "warmth" from the THD and a little bass and treble boost while mostly leaving the mids alone. The noise is unfortunate, but if you're looking for a cheap way to make your sound """better""", not more accurate, this looks entirely reasonable to me.

Top Bottom