• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL SDR-35 AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 183 63.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 90 31.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters

dlaloum

Major Contributor
For an overview of the Harman series - we can now look at amir's measurements of 3 members of the family:

Things that they have in common would be expected to be long term trends.... anywhere they majorly differ may well be an individual issue....

Mostly these seem to tell a story that Denon/Marantz/Yamaha/Onkyo/Pioneer/Integra/etc... are where the value for money resides

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
-No DTS Pro is unforgivable for a 16 channel processor IMO. Not sure why this platform and the monoprice htp1 don’t have it.

Why? It’s not a codec used on content people view (I.e. streaming). Neural:X is the worst of the immersive upmixers IMO for stereo music. Besides, isn’t the distinction between Pro and regular just channel count? Sixteen channels on a modern AVR/P generally means 7.1.4 with multiple subs integrated with DLBC. Doesn’t normal DTS-X handle that? If it were a 20-channel thing then ok, it should support all of the wides and middles or whatever.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Wow... so disappointing. Sure it looks more premium than the Emotiva XMC-2 or Monoprice HTP-1... but Arcam isn't really known for usability (or durability) and the performance is mediocre at best. So you don't really gain much over those two processors and separate amplification - which you would have $4K+ to spend on. :rolleyes:

Good amps will last for decades potentially, while even the most complete processor is likely to be obsolete (at least as far as resale value) in a year or two at most.

m8o

Forum Donor
Why T F don't they stop making electronic gear already! I've come to expect nothing else but this caliber of results from them.

mv038856

Why? It’s not a codec used on content people view (I.e. streaming). Neural:X is the worst of the immersive upmixers IMO for stereo music. Besides, isn’t the distinction between Pro and regular just channel count? Sixteen channels on a modern AVR/P generally means 7.1.4 with multiple subs integrated with DLBC. Doesn’t normal DTS-X handle that? If it were a 20-channel thing then ok, it should support all of the wides and middles or whatever.
DTS-X PRO is not a codec, it is a better version of decoding, allowing the objects in the standard codec to be distributed over more speakers. I run the SDP-55 in a 9.1.6 config with front wide speakers that the SDP-55 can‘t address with DTS-X content. The same is true for my Center Height and Top Speaker (Voice of God). They are defined in DTS-X pro but not in the regular DTS-X. I use those speakers for Auro 3D.

But I agree that a 16 channel AVR/AVP should offer DTS-X PRO decoding because a processor with that high channel count is likely to be set up with those additional speakers that are only defined for the pro decoder.

BTW, an additional feature of the JBL Synthesis over the Arcams is the Dante output. It still has an annoying bug, but Harman is aware of it and is working on a solution

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems to me like a sensible option - as most listening is done at levels where the 0.8 to 0.9V peak SINAD is far more relevant, than a 2V output level - which would be testing the external power amps max rated output levels... (and how often does anyone listen at those SPL's !?)

Definitely sensible if you have a full JBL / Arcam setup.

But if you look at the X8500H, it is good BOTH at 1v and 2v, which opens up options for different amplifiers.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a 16 channel Atmos home theater receiver with 125-150 wpc amps, and you won't be able to upgrade to outside amps because of the shutdown circuit.
Oh, you can, using Dante.

Also, it has only 7 amps, so if one could assign channels at will, one could assign the output’s that are not backed by amps. Don’t know if that is supported though.

All in all, a poor showing, as expected really :facepalm:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DTS-X PRO is not a codec, it is a better version of decoding, allowing the objects in the standard codec to be distributed over more speakers. I run the SDP-55 in a 9.1.6 config with front wide speakers that the SDP-55 can‘t address with DTS-X content.

DTS-X content…tee hee.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Please press any key to reboot.

Where is that shiit "any" key on the keyboard?

Reactions: buz

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Awesome review as usual. I'd still buy it for the looks.
It looks awesome but I would always look at it and feel ripped off..... Substance always trumps form.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To be honest while I don’t think it’s a bad product I still understand your frustration with it.

There is just too many cut corners here and there. Yeah SINAD is respectable below 1 volt but it shouldn’t be gasping for air above that. At least not at this price.

this would be a good product under 2000$, state of the art even, but at 8000$ you have to expect no cut corners.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
JBL Synthesis line is targeted at custom installation channel. Those companies will spec these for customers. In this case it would be more a more "moderate" home theater.

Of course there are also enthusiasts who buy them.

Kishore

Thanks Amir for the effort. I compared measurements to other equivalents (Arcam/JBL pre-pros & receivers)... I still cannot understand how this is still so poor. I expected improvements to be honest. Subjectively folks have praised it and have rated this (and Arcam) higher than Denon x8500. I hope JBL folks read this. IMHO the only decent measuring processor in the synthesis lineup is the SDP75 :p. I dunno if there needs to be a lower threshold of parameters to judge this.

FYI I sent in this unit directly to Amir after purchasing it new- will see how it does in my secondary setup but for the $$ I cannot imagine keeping it.

Regards,
Kishore

Worker

Hi @amirm

Any chance of testing the Dante outputs to see if these (digital) outputs have the same weaknesses as the various analogue paths? That would give information on the quality (or otherwise) of the basic digital processing within.

I would image results would also apply to the previously tested JBL SDP-55 AV processor.

If you are not already familiar the Dante environment, using the Audinate Dante Virtual Soundcard (DVS) and/or Dante Via should allow you to use the your normal software analysis tools to investigate this.

Thank you.

Top Bottom