• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ISOTEK EVO3 Aquarius Power Conditioner Review

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 209 93.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 2.2%

• Total voters

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No, low impedance or your DC voltage droops. The diode bridge and capacitor effectively forms an envelope demodulation function (AM). If all you pass is 60Hz, then the output of the full wave bridge into a capacitor under load will just be the average value of the rectified voltage not the peak. I.e. a 30V RMS AC transformer will yield (1.414*30-0.7)*0.637 volts under heavy load as opposed to close to 1.414*30-0.7
:) Just read back what was written, we all agree :)

levimax

Major Contributor
So I don't understand the technical details at all (yes, I deserve 2000 lashes for that), but let's say someone had an old component with sentimental value (tube stuff?) that had a crappy power supply spewing out mains noise. Setting aside pricing, would this unit help?
Old tube stuff or pretty much any old audio equipment will work just fine without "spewing mains noise" if it is in proper working condition. If it is not working correctly then using a power conditioner is not going to help.

KxDx

So I don't understand the technical details at all (yes, I deserve 2000 lashes for that), but let's say someone had an old component with sentimental value (tube stuff?) that had a crappy power supply spewing out mains noise. Setting aside pricing, would this unit help?
This device isn't filtering out mains noise. The little filtering it does is near or above human audibility. The best way to spend one's money in the situation you described is to repair the component in question.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
None of the test results (nor the conclusions derived from them) mean that a properly designed and executed primary power line (MAINS - ACPL) conditioner is an unnecessary investment; as an A/V hardware 'juicebox'. Especially when such a piece of hardware comes at a reasonably priced protection/filtering.
Oh, Boy!
We have common and differential mode potential issues both at the input MAINS, as well as the individual output feeds. We also need to have some concerns for low/high frequency 'noise'. Yet, we must also take into account other equipment connected to the same MAINS phase, feeding all of them (inductive/motor spikes, etc.) inhouse, as well as those possibly coming in from the shared utility feed.
The conclusions reached are not taking any of these conditions into the equation.
I would venture that even the AP/TE is contributing some (high frequency) noise to the common MAINS. Then, there are also major variables that may have effects on the outcome of the results, such as *the use of LISNs to normalize the input ACPL and *the total load (current draw) both at the input and the individual outputs.
Powering up a single DUT (which in this case, is a very low MAINS current draw) may not tell the story fully.
One bad apple (and the conclusions derived from it) should NOT ruin the whole lot.
We can all agree that various forms of extraneous noise (sources/types = no matter) is one of the biggest enemies of quality audio rendering. Things get more complicated when multiple hardware are not only all connected to the same MAINS but also interconnected to other hardware in the chain.
It is NOT out of the realm of concerns for an audiophile and we should NOT ignore the possible need for proper MAINS conditioning.
Implementation is also just good engineering practice and like buying additional indemnity insurance.
Maybe I worry too much about such things but sleep well and maybe YMMV!

Last edited:

bt3

This is a review and detailed measurements of the ISOTEK EVO3 Aquarius AC Power conditioner and filter. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $1,999.

View attachment 181182

From the front, the unit looks fine but on the back, I was disappointed by the thin sheet metal that bent when I tried to insert and remove the included "Premier C19"
AC cable:

View attachment 181185

Likewise, the sockets feel plasticky and loose as evidenced by them not lining up. On positive front, I like the 20 amp rated socket.

The unit has won a number of accolades:

“In suppressing line noise, IsoTek unlocks low-level transparency in the same way that removing layers of old wax from a fine wood surface allows more of the inherent depth and beauty of the wood-grain patterns to shine forth.”
– Neil Gader, The Absolute Sound

"That the IsoTek Aquarius revealed previously unheard details from my familiar LPs, says it all. An effective improvement to a good hi-fi system, this serious product justifies its price."

Hi-Fi World

"The lift in performance is quite remarkable."
Hi-Fi Choice

"[A] mains product really has to do something extremely special to beat the IsoTek Aquarius."
Hi-Fi+

"The Aquarius is brilliant."
Record Collector

Let's see if we can objectively verify any of this.

ISOTEK EVO3 Aquarius Measurements
As usual with power devices, I first determine their "transfer function" but treating it as if were a preamplifier. I feed it balanced sine wave and measure what comes out:
View attachment 181186

While there is some filtering, it doesn't kick in until 1 kHz. You might think this is still good but is not when we look at where the "problem areas" are in AC mains. Here is the measurement and spectrum of my AC feed tonight:

View attachment 181187

We see that our sinewave is visually distorted. Looking to the right FFT spectrum, we see the desired 60 Hz main in that first tall spike. But then we have a ton of harmonics and noise. The worse part of this is up 600 Hz or so. In order for filtering to make a difference, it needs to go way lower, ideally down to 120 Hz. Let's see if the EVO3 does that:

View attachment 181188

As we could tell from the transfer function, it does not do that. It attenuated the higher spectrum but that was already way low in level anyway. To wit our SIAND for the AC mains is essentially the same: 34.3 dB vs 34.1 dB. Here is a higher resolution FFT showing the same:

View attachment 181192

But maybe the device does something with a real audio product connected to it. For that, I grabbed the excellent Topping PA5 stereo amplifier and tested it first with its cord going directly to AC mains:

View attachment 181189

Now let's power it through the ISOTEK EVO3:

View attachment 181190

Beyond run to run variation, there is no difference whatsoever.

Let's do a power sweep and see if that shows any difference:

View attachment 181191

Nothing. No difference at all where the output is noise dominated (e.g. below 60 watts) or at max power.

Conclusions
As I have explained many times, the reason these devices don't do anything for your audio system is twofold:

1. They don't filter high amplitude harmonics and noise in AC mains which is below 500 Hz and most of it below 240 Hz. Such filtering will be quite expensive and large.

2. The first thing our audio devices do is convert AC to DC. That conversion has mandatory filtering which is far easier to implement due to much lower voltages.

So no wonder that in test after test, we find no difference in quality of AC mains, or output of audio device tested.

Why do people attribute better fidelity to these devices? Simple: lay intuition says "filtering" removes noise. So they pay more attention to what is playing and "hear more into the music" with the AC conditioner in the path. And report veils removed, noise floor going down, blacker backgrounds, etc. This happens even if I gave them an empty box but told them it is a power conditioner.

The only time above false observations go away is if the testing only uses one's ear, i.e. blind testing. Then, the listener doesn't know if the device is in the path or not, and will read such differences into either sample showing no statistically valid value to the device. Sadly, people don't want to know the truth here as that would invalidate years of claiming other differences so false statements are made about benefits of such devices. And folks become $2,000 poorer that they could have used on something more useful.

Needless to say, I can't recommend the ISOTEK EVO3 Aquarius.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Hoping one or more ASR member has one of the Audience power conditioners to send to Amir for testing. Audience has been feasting for ages on very expensive "magic" cables and power conditioners.

audio2design

Major Contributor
This device isn't filtering out mains noise. The little filtering it does is near or above human audibility. The best way to spend one's money in the situation you described is to repair the component in question.

Frequencies above the audible spectrum if burst can create audible effects. The tests done only looked at differential mode filtering of which this unit appears to have almost none. I can see common mode inductors though. It's wickedly over priced for what it is of course.

audio2design

Major Contributor

Odds are either the capacitors are old and need of replacement though a bit of hum due to low feedback was not uncommon. This won't help even a bit for that. You could be picking up common mode noise depending on the system / component wiring. This may help but you could get better for less money.

dougi

To be fair, the product website only mentions "RFI reduction of 60dB" in terms of a spec, so it probably meets that. It also says "6 optimised power cleaning circuits remove Common and Differential Mode mains noise" but no specs. Of course, as Amir has demonstrated, whatever it may or may not do, it is a largely pointless product for the consumer.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What more do people need ? In many of these test Amir does , he actually does the important one check the performance of real audio product with or without the filter as he did in this case .

audio2design

Major Contributor
What more do people need ? In many of these test Amir does , he actually does the important one check the performance of real audio product with or without the filter as he did in this case .

With one unique set of components in one benign configuration. It's not indicative of all equipment in all configurations with diverse EMI situations. It's grossly over priced for what it does and most would have no use for it. There is not enough information to conclude it will never have benefit.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Powering up a single DUT (which in this case, is a very low MAINS current draw) may not tell the story fully.
Topping PA5 amplifier is not a very low mains current device. I ran a sweep test to past clipping with both channels driven. That is using nearly 200 watts of peak power which is more than many DACs and source devices use. In other tests, I have used Purifi amplifier with similar results (power actually dropped in that test due to looses of the power conditioner):

index.php

By far the common usage for these devices is lower power audio products. Even the believers tend to not use them for power amps and such.

Further, there is no reason to assume such a simple filter will work better with higher current usage.

One bad apple (and the conclusions derived from it) should NOT ruin the whole lot.
A single one? I have tested countless power conditioners. They all have same outcome no matter how I test them.

Audioquest Niagara 1200​

AudioQuest PowerQuest 3​

Puritan Audio PSM156​

PS Audio Noise Harvester AC Cleaner​

PS Audio P300 and BK Precision 9801

So no, it is not one "bad apple." Not one device has shown to improve the output of any audio device, even the lab regenerators. I will continue testing them because of arguments like yours. But if they were going to do something, by now they would have.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
With one unique set of components in one benign configuration. It's not indicative of all equipment in all configurations with diverse EMI situations.
So you go ahead and show how you have improved the output of any audio device. Don't keep posting arguments. Post objective measurements. You have any?

And no, it is not "one benign configuration." I have tested a number of different audio devices, none producing any improvement even at micro level. It is not just me as no company or independent tester has ever shown any improvement. Had waving arguments are aplenty, real hard results, not so much.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

audio2design

Major Contributor
So you go ahead and show how you have improved the output of any audio device. Don't keep posting arguments. Post objective measurements. You have any?

And no, it is not "one benign configuration." I have tested a number of different audio devices, none producing any improvement even at micro level. It is not just me as no company or independent tester has ever shown any improvement. Had waving arguments are aplenty, real hard results, not so much.

Will do. Give me several weeks lots of other stuff on the go.

DualTriode

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have this device sitting on a shelf in my Seattle home. I can hand deliver to amirm and save everyone some money. If that is acceptable let me know how to do it.
Thanks. We live fair number of miles from Seattle though so gas money will probably be same as what this costs.

Top Bottom