• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ISOTEK EVO3 Aquarius Power Conditioner Review

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 209 93.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 2.2%

• Total voters

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Useful device to separate those with $ 2,000 to waste from their money. Who says Capitalism isn’t redistributive! The thin sheet metal in the back and the non-hospital certified electrical plugs add to the sensation of a poorly built device. It would be interesting to have an inspection of its guts to verify the poor workmanship.

Vain

Why do people attribute better fidelity to these devices? Simple: lay intuition says "filtering" removes noise. So they pay more attention to what is playing and "hear more into the music" with the AC conditioner in the path. And report veils removed, noise floor going down, blacker backgrounds, etc. This happens even if I gave them an empty box but told them it is a power conditioner.
Now there's a good idea - just ensure it's resin encased so the magic cannot escape.

Interesting how these guys market this https://www.claruscable.com/Clarus_Concerto.cfm

It gets tested by these guys - with measurements - https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...ner/clarus-concerto-power-conditioner-review/

that show that there's no audible change yet conclude by saying:

"The benefits of a good power conditioner are well established because the science of noise filtration is highly developed, specifically using inductors to remove AC noise. However, removing noise peaks at extremely low levels is the domain of perfected power conditioners, which is what the Clarus Concerto is. When a power conditioner can remove noise peaks at – 135 dB, that is very impressive. This is really a good product. It’s well-built and effective for perfectionists who want only the music in their high-end gear. I am convinced that power conditioners are a necessary item, and our objective test results establish proof of performance for the Clarus Concerto"

At least it looks pretty OK inside :)

JimWeir

This is a review and detailed measurements of the ISOTEK EVO3 Aquarius AC Power conditioner and filter. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $1,999.

View attachment 181182

From the front, the unit looks fine but on the back, I was disappointed by the thin sheet metal that bent when I tried to insert and remove the included "Premier C19"
AC cable:

View attachment 181185

Likewise, the sockets feel plasticky and loose as evidenced by them not lining up. On positive front, I like the 20 amp rated socket.

The unit has won a number of accolades:

“In suppressing line noise, IsoTek unlocks low-level transparency in the same way that removing layers of old wax from a fine wood surface allows more of the inherent depth and beauty of the wood-grain patterns to shine forth.”
– Neil Gader, The Absolute Sound

"That the IsoTek Aquarius revealed previously unheard details from my familiar LPs, says it all. An effective improvement to a good hi-fi system, this serious product justifies its price."

Hi-Fi World

"The lift in performance is quite remarkable."
Hi-Fi Choice

"[A] mains product really has to do something extremely special to beat the IsoTek Aquarius."
Hi-Fi+

"The Aquarius is brilliant."
Record Collector

Let's see if we can objectively verify any of this.

ISOTEK EVO3 Aquarius Measurements
As usual with power devices, I first determine their "transfer function" but treating it as if were a preamplifier. I feed it balanced sine wave and measure what comes out:
View attachment 181186

While there is some filtering, it doesn't kick in until 1 kHz. You might think this is still good but is not when we look at where the "problem areas" are in AC mains. Here is the measurement and spectrum of my AC feed tonight:

View attachment 181187

We see that our sinewave is visually distorted. Looking to the right FFT spectrum, we see the desired 60 Hz main in that first tall spike. But then we have a ton of harmonics and noise. The worse part of this is up 600 Hz or so. In order for filtering to make a difference, it needs to go way lower, ideally down to 120 Hz. Let's see if the EVO3 does that:

View attachment 181188

As we could tell from the transfer function, it does not do that. It attenuated the higher spectrum but that was already way low in level anyway. To wit our SIAND for the AC mains is essentially the same: 34.3 dB vs 34.1 dB. Here is a higher resolution FFT showing the same:

View attachment 181192

But maybe the device does something with a real audio product connected to it. For that, I grabbed the excellent Topping PA5 stereo amplifier and tested it first with its cord going directly to AC mains:

View attachment 181189

Now let's power it through the ISOTEK EVO3:

View attachment 181190

Beyond run to run variation, there is no difference whatsoever.

Let's do a power sweep and see if that shows any difference:

View attachment 181191

Nothing. No difference at all where the output is noise dominated (e.g. below 60 watts) or at max power.

Conclusions
As I have explained many times, the reason these devices don't do anything for your audio system is twofold:

1. They don't filter high amplitude harmonics and noise in AC mains which is below 500 Hz and most of it below 240 Hz. Such filtering will be quite expensive and large.

2. The first thing our audio devices do is convert AC to DC. That conversion has mandatory filtering which is far easier to implement due to much lower voltages.

So no wonder that in test after test, we find no difference in quality of AC mains, or output of audio device tested.

Why do people attribute better fidelity to these devices? Simple: lay intuition says "filtering" removes noise. So they pay more attention to what is playing and "hear more into the music" with the AC conditioner in the path. And report veils removed, noise floor going down, blacker backgrounds, etc. This happens even if I gave them an empty box but told them it is a power conditioner.

The only time above false observations go away is if the testing only uses one's ear, i.e. blind testing. Then, the listener doesn't know if the device is in the path or not, and will read such differences into either sample showing no statistically valid value to the device. Sadly, people don't want to know the truth here as that would invalidate years of claiming other differences so false statements are made about benefits of such devices. And folks become $2,000 poorer that they could have used on something more useful.

Needless to say, I can't recommend the ISOTEK EVO3 Aquarius.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Xyrium

Forum Donor
More audiophool snake oil. At least they're consistent in failing...

Thanks Amir, for even entertaining these.

JSmith

Master Contributor
More audiophool snake oil.
1642991751029.jpeg

JSmith

Descartes

Major Contributor
Wild thank you Amir I never bought into all these power conditioners all the amplifiers I have are plugged directly in a dedicated 20amp line!

tomtoo

Major Contributor
So an UPS is functionally similar to an audio amplifier? I mean, it makes sense, since an UPS uses batteries for backup power, so the AC-DC-AC conversion happens in both devices. But I'd still like to see an actual amp power a HiFi system, just for the fun :)

Or if you prefer to power a toaster?

There you can test if a 1kHZ toast tastes different than a 60Hz toast. Or a sine wave toast, different to a triangle wave?

Who knows? ;)

Last edited:

DualTriode

Too many people scoffing without a clue.

Standard distorted / noisy main power is one thing spikes and surges are something else. Commercial and industrial facilities are something else.

Isolated power and isolated grounds are common.

An example: one large building HVAC control system with Variable Frequency Drives would drop off line daily when the Power Utility would switch in large banks of capacitors for Power Factor Correction. Isolation Transformers were the solution.

Another solution to Distorted (with Harmonics) power is switching power supplies with Power Factor Correction. Poor Power Factor costs money and generates heat. The #10 neutral power conductors in the modular Herman Miller type cubicles get hot and turn brown or black due to the Harmonics and poor Power Factor caused by a cube farm full of computers and lighting with switching power supplies.

Do you think that that the isolation transformer may be in place to protect the building power supply from the load?

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Now there's a good idea - just ensure it's resin encased so the magic cannot escape.

Interesting how these guys market this https://www.claruscable.com/Clarus_Concerto.cfm

It gets tested by these guys - with measurements - https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...ner/clarus-concerto-power-conditioner-review/

"The benefits of a good power conditioner are well established because the science of noise filtration is highly developed, specifically using inductors to remove AC noise. However, removing noise peaks at extremely low levels is the domain of perfected power conditioners, which is what the Clarus Concerto is. When a power conditioner can remove noise peaks at – 135 dB, that is very impressive. This is really a good product. It’s well-built and effective for perfectionists who want only the music in their high-end gear. I am convinced that power conditioners are a necessary item, and our objective test results establish proof of performance for the Clarus Concerto"

Looks like "Sturgeon’s law" (90% of everything is crap) applies to not only equipment but reviewers.

Azathoth

My grandparent's house has this issue with their wiring that the voltage jumps up to almost 1000kv blowing up multiple devices and damaged my laptop's power brick, would something like this could even help?

PS. the wiring has been fixed of course.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
1MV is a lot. you probably meant 1kV.

Then the question is how short these peaks were.
Most devices should be able to handle short pulses of 1kV.
2kV or 4kV is a bit trickier.
A faulty (sparking) light switch can actually generate such voltages.

When the pulses are wide you need a different over voltage protection than when the pulses are really short.

When lightning strikes nearby often occur you, again, well need different protection where the mains cable enters the house.

I would not use these kind of heavily overpriced 'conditioners' but instead look for dedicated lightning protection or over-voltage products (some are sacrifical so one-time use only)

dasdoing

Major Contributor

As soon as somebody mentiones "believing" in any form, you know that you will only waste your time argumenting with facts.

Azathoth

1MV is a lot. you probably meant 1kV.

Then the question is how short these peaks were.
Most devices should be able to handle short pulses of 1kV.
2kV or 4kV is a bit trickier.
A faulty (sparking) light switch can actually generate such voltages.

When the pulses are wide you need a different over voltage protection than when the pulses are really short.

When lightning strikes nearby often occur you, again, well need different protection where the mains cable enters the house.

I would not use these kind of heavily overpriced 'conditioners' but instead look for dedicated lightning protection or over-voltage products (some are sacrifical so one-time use only)
Yes, 1kV, my bad. The power was like this for a few minutes, the standing fans we had were blowing hurricanes, and some lamps were really bright.. Quite the experience. Yes now there is a lightning arrester installed along with rewiring the whole house.

peniku8

Forum Donor

Or if you prefer to power a toaster?

There you can test if a 1kHZ toast tastes different than a 60Hz toast. Or a sine wave toast, different to a triangle wave?

Who knows? ;)
Why am I not surprised to see that when ever you come up with a crazy idea in audio, Dave Rat's probably done it before. Man is a legend!

Top Bottom