• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there a speaker more useful for me than the D&D 8C?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Is now a good time to say that Aluminum is the best material ever for speaker cabinets ? ;)

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I have different views about the ban. There's is a "desperate dealers" section where one can advertise services to a limited degree.
There was a video from Erin a member posted, where it came across perhaps a tad clickbaitish, and Amir stated such, then some members came to Erin's defense and Amir wasn't having any of it. I get it, there is a certain level of integrity Amir wants maintain. But if Erin did posted promotions knowing no promotions are allowed, then it is what it is, but there are other offenders as well.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please do not attack me, I am just relaying what other members have stated.

Because the 8c's cabinet are made of solid wood (instead of manufactured wood), there is a member here reported that the cabinet cracked.

As luxurious and perceived quality of solid wood or plywood comes across, from a science perspective, it's a bad idea. MDF or HDF is the way to go.
That was me. One speaker cracked, and both were replaced immediately.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, that makes you the third person reporting this problem. 3 reports is 2 too many for me personally.
No, I was the first to report this issue. Perhaps because of my report here on ASR (but more likely because they were otherwise aware of the problem), D&D changed the way they construct cabinets. I've had my current pair since mid-2018, and they continue to work splendidly.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
From a different site
8c131dcead50f4f63c85c62c6650c68af76b01c8_2_750x1000.jpeg
afad67f0bdcf9c576b813d279fc690649543502e_2_750x1000.jpeg

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I was the first to report this issue. Perhaps because of my report here on ASR (but more likely because they were otherwise aware of the problem), D&D changed the way they construct cabinets. I've had my current pair since mid-2018, and they continue to work splendidly.
I don't know if you are the first or not, I am saying with you, I have seen 3 reports of this issue. Plus this one from Pearljam. Hence I'm saying that is a little too many reports for my liking.

They do make a MDF model.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if you are the first or not, I am saying with you, I have seen 3 reports of this issue. Plus this one from Pearljam. Hence I'm saying that is a little too many reports for my liking.

They do make a MDF model.
That's obviously a seam, not a crack. If it bothers you, I guess you can go with Genelec.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's obviously a seam, not a crack. If it bothers you, I guess you can go with Genelec.
I'm not a fan of active speakers personally, not that I don't think it sounds great, just not a fan of having all the electronics inside the speaker and dependent on the manufacturer to support the firmware. There is a great video Erin did on active speakers.

OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor
I'm not a fan of active speakers personally, not that I don't think it sounds great, just not a fan of having all the electronics inside the speaker and dependent on the manufacturer to support the firmware. There is a great video Erin did on active speakers.
Sounds like you'd like KH420s, bigger ATCs, maybe PSIs then - they're all analog, and the big ones can have the amps remote mounted (when remoted, they use either a single NL8 SpeakON connector or two NL4s to connect the amps to the drivers).

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Depending on your country, service is a real issue since these speakers are part of your livelihood rather than just a hobby.

Using photography as an example, my FujiFilm GFX is my best performing camera but my Canon is all I would depend on professionally due to CPS and the extremely fast repair turnarounds.

Something like the JBL 7 series was infamous for always having slow repair times. I am not sure how good Neumann, Genelec or D&D generally are. I think at that price point it will be hard to find differences.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like you'd like KH420s, bigger ATCs, maybe PSIs then - they're all analog, and the big ones can have the amps remote mounted (when remoted, they use either a single NL8 SpeakON connector or two NL4s to connect the amps to the drivers).
I have a pair of Perlisten S7t. I am very happy with them. I have no plans to buy new speakers. But am looking at Ascend Acoustics for my upstairs.

prestigetone

Which of those brands have external amps with speak on? I’ve seen some actives not those though

OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor
Which of those brands have external amps with speak on? I’ve seen some actives not those though
Neumann on the KH420 when the amp pack is remoted, ATCs with remote amps, Genelec mains with remote amps, PDP, among others.

YSC

Major Contributor
Matt Wiggins he usually works out of the Church, George Apsion at Kore, Alex Balsama at Swift Mastering.
How many more would you like?
Keith
Is Matt Wiggings that Matt who did the Adele "I need you" mixing? that's one of my favourite of all times

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes,that’s him and he’s a really nice guy to boot.
Keith

Top Bottom