• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there any reason for car speakers and subwoofers to require significantly more powerful amplifiers (in terms of watts) than home use equivalents?

D

Deleted member 48726

There is no magical hocus pocus to compensate for right placement. Future more purity and performance are less of a concern for car manufacturers so you really get a mixed bag with manufacture pre installed one's even they did a deacent job integrating DSP. I of course have such in my car and it even has loudness that I also use but seriously I won't even compare it to my main in hause system. For car I guess it's OK, better performing amplifier would probably help (instead of stock and with stock DSP capacities).
I don't compare it to a quality HiFi system at home. I say that you can make a very high quality system in a car without much hassle. And that many mid-range cars already have an alright to nice sounding sound system that actually do not deserve to be laughed at.

WinWiz

I've been planning on upgrading the stereo in my car since the front speakers are blown and I figured I might as well upgrade the entire thing anyways. The problem that I'm having is that obviously most car amplifiers are not exactly designed with good distortion and snr performance in mind. Therefore, I figured I'd go with some vintage a/d/s plate amps since they're rated for some pretty decent specs, they're relatively cheap (I don't wanna spend more than 200-250 usd on amps), and I know that in a/d/s' heyday their car audio gear was just as praised as their home stereo gear. The problem I have is that most a/d/s amps are rated for a pretty low wattage output. This seems fine to me, since around 35w per channel for speakers which are only handling the midrange and above and around 80w for a single sub would be perfectly fine for a near field home audio application, and considering the fact that the speakers I'm installing in my car are relatively sensitive at like 92-93dB I don't see why it wouldn't be alright in my car as well. However, most websites recommend having many times this amount of power for a decent car setup. Would this not be enough power for whatever reason? Are there reasons why a car stereo would demand more watts for it's speakers, or are people just compensating for the fact that the power output of most car amps are rated abysmally, using peak power output figures and such instead of continuous output?
(P.S. I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread for posting this question, this is the first time I believe I have made a thread post here)
Hoffman’s Iron Laws of Speaker. If you want deep bass in a small enclosure efficiently will suffer. Car is also a noisy environment so you probably need a bit more dB. And a bit more dB require a lot more power.
But don't judge all car amps so badly. Yes some brands claim unreal power but some actually delivers more than claimed. I have several old Rockford amps that are known to deliver 2-4x their advertised rms output. I also have few more recent affordable pioneer classD amps that output far more than advertised.

Top Bottom