• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there a speaker more useful for me than the D&D 8C?

YSC

Major Contributor
The funny thing is he probably used those hated PMCs and NS10s to mix it back then (as per SOS article), it really doesn't matter that much outside of mastering
Likely, but that’s why I always think what pros use isn’t meaning it’s the better equipment, mostly it means they can do the job with the popular thing available or whatever good enough to cut the pie and saves money.

Hobbyist or entertainment usage is where the true high end things usually goes. Which in audio is complicated when it’s full of snake oil

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The funny thing is he probably used those hated PMCs and NS10s to mix it back then (as per SOS article), it really doesn't matter that much outside of mastering
Yes that’s right he was using PMCs when I took the 8Cs around, just thinking about I remember we had one of those classic idiotic moments, I had just run the REW sweep and we were both looking at it and there was hardly any bass or at least very much less extension than usual, it took a couple of minutes to realise that the PMCs had still been in circuit !
Keith

MKR

Major Contributor
FWIW, I was able to reproduce it across two pairs in two different rooms.
Curious as to the dealers thoughts (where you auditioned the 8Cs) on your listening observations of the supposed audible distortion? Did they agree? Or have a different explanation to offer?

OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor
Well, one of the 420s showed up today, and it's broken. Somebody did an absolutely shambolic packing job and it was in a single box without proper packing foam. The cabinet is damaged and the woofer has pretty obvious coil rub.

prestigetone

Well, one of the 420s showed up today, and it's broken. Somebody did an absolutely shambolic packing job and it was in a single box without proper packing foam. The cabinet is damaged and the woofer has pretty obvious coil rub.
Sucks to hear. Did VK pack it or was it drop shipped from Neumann?

MKR

Major Contributor
Crud, that stinks. I continue to be amazed at the poor packing job by some of these companies, not the first example I have heard of damage recently. Seems they are getting cheap, careless, or both.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Wasn’t it VK who also poorly packed some Geithains which led to damage?
Keith

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sucks to hear. Did VK pack it or was it drop shipped from Neumann?
Crud, that stinks. I continue to be amazed at the poor packing job by some of these companies, not the first example I have heard of damage recently. Seems they are getting cheap, careless, or both.
VK is the common variable in both this case and the recent Geithain situation reported on ASR.

EDIT: I see after I posted that Keith beat me to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MKR

prestigetone

VK is the common variable in both this case and the recent Geithain situation reported on ASR.
My order was the Geithain, which is why I asked. They shipped all speakers to me in the manufacturer box. The last time they did add a box when I urged them to, and then Geithain dropped the ball with the incorrect box and styrofoam sizes. I think 70lb on up almost needs to be crated. I've strongly considered going to Genelec solely because they are much more durable.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My order was the Geithain, which is why I asked. They shipped all speakers to me in the manufacturer box. The last time they did add a box when I urged them to, and then Geithain dropped the ball with the incorrect box and styrofoam sizes. I think 70lb on up almost needs to be crated. I've strongly considered going to Genelec solely because they are much more durable.
I would be very surprised if the manufacturer made this mistake, whatever VK may say about it.

prestigetone

I would be very surprised if the manufacturer made this mistake, whatever VK may say about it.
There were other packages improperly packaged by Vintage King prior to my latest order. They did double box the last shipment and those outside boxes were intact. Geithain 1000% made the mistake of using a box for another speaker and foam packing that was was too big for the speaker. So in its multi K journey it slammed against the inside of the manufacturer box. No amount of care on the VK side would have prevented it.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand why VK would even have them out of the manufacturer shipping boxes unless they were demo units. Items I've ordered from Sweetwater were never opened.

OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor

prestigetone

I don't understand why VK would even have them out of the manufacturer shipping boxes unless they were demo units. Items I've ordered from Sweetwater were never opened.
There are no shipping boxes usually product like that is crated and wrapped on a pallet. Then vintage king will ship the item in its original manufacturers box to the customer.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry for the inappropriate joke but maybe its part of VK marketing strategy to make them arrive looking vintage?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are no shipping boxes usually product like that is crated and wrapped on a pallet. Then vintage king will ship the item in its original manufacturers box to the customer.
When I ordered some heavy monitors (Dutch and Dutch 8c) they were crated and shipped strapped to a pallet. It's how I expect them to be sent.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I ordered some heavy monitors (Dutch and Dutch 8c) they were crated and shipped strapped to a palette. It's how I expect them to be sent.
I've had two pairs of D&D 8Cs cross the Atlantic via DHL in their usual double cardboard boxes with foam. No issues either time.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had two pairs of D&D 8Cs cross the Atlantic via DHL in their usual double cardboard boxes with foam. No issues either time.
I ordered them back before the pandemic. They came from a warehouse in the US. Not sure how they do it now but mine were double boxed with the foam inserts, thin ply sheeting holding both together, shrink wrapped and strapped to pallet.

prestigetone

I ordered them back before the pandemic. They came from a warehouse in the US. Not sure how they do it now but mine were double boxed with the foam inserts, thin ply sheeting holding both together, shrink wrapped and strapped to pallet.
My 8c came in their box plus an outside one. No issues either.

Top Bottom