• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice on new speaker decision

msaunde1

I'm torn on new speakers...thoguht I would canvass this forum, which I have much respect for. I have done extensive auditioning at hi-fi stores, and am still torn! I do however have it narrowed down to the following:

1. Revel f206

2. Revel f36

3. Focal Aria 936

4. MoFi Sourcepoint 10

Initially, I was all in on the Revels because of how well they measure, particularly off axis, since I have an open concept living room kitchen that is wide. So the majority of my in store demos focused on the Revels exclusively. To my surprise, I actually preferred the cheaper f36 models to the f206, perhaps due to the 1.8kHz crossover between the tweeter and the top woofer, which is quite low...or perhaps it's due to the slightly higher sensitivity...or maybe it was just paired with a better amp. But regardless, to my ears, the f36 was just a more fun and exciting listen than the f206 which felt a bit bland and boxed in by comparison, despite being the better 'measuring' speaker.

Being confused by the Revels in this way, I started exploring the Focal Aria line, and really enjoyed the Aria 936. Compared to the Revels, it sounded more 'exciting' to my ears...more forward without being fatiguing, big open soundstage and really nice texture, just very enjoyable all around.

Recently, I auditioned the Mofi Sourcepoint 10 because, like many, I wanted to see/hear what all the hype was about. I was suspicious, even with Andrew Jones as the designer, with it being Mofi's first foray into speaker design...but I was honestly kind of blown away by them.

At the moment, I am tempted by the Sourcepoints, but they are pushing my budget at over 3,500K with stands. To that end, the Aria 936 can be found in great used condition for around $2,500 and the Revel f36 for even less still.

Just curious if anyone has heard all of these speakers and has any feedback / insight? Or recommend anything at a similar price point. Attributes I'm looking for are: Open, airy sound but not too bright, great midrange (priority), and good off axis response (horizontal).

Current set up for context:

Vandersteen 3A, powered by Audio Research D-300, Denon 4700 as preamp, Topping D90 DAC, Sota Comet TT with Rega Exact cart and Parasound JC3 Jr phono pre.

Thanks

MarkS

Major Contributor
Welcome to ASR!

If you didn't audition them all in the same room, then comparisons are iffy. And really they need to be auditioned in your room. Crutchfield is selling the 936 new for $2600/pair, and you can return them for $75 shipping. You could get those and the MoFis and/or the F36 with return privileges, and do the only comparison that mattters: your room, your taste.

Whichever you go with, next investigage room correction.

poptopclk

I'm torn on new speakers...thoguht I would canvass this forum, which I have much respect for. I have done extensive auditioning at hi-fi stores, and am still torn! I do however have it narrowed down to the following:

1. Revel f206

2. Revel f36

3. Focal Aria 936

4. MoFi Sourcepoint 10

Initially, I was all in on the Revels because of how well they measure, particularly off axis, since I have an open concept living room kitchen that is wide. So the majority of my in store demos focused on the Revels exclusively. To my surprise, I actually preferred the cheaper f36 models to the f206, perhaps due to the 1.8kHz crossover between the tweeter and the top woofer, which is quite low...or perhaps it's due to the slightly higher sensitivity...or maybe it was just paired with a better amp. But regardless, to my ears, the f36 was just a more fun and exciting listen than the f206 which felt a bit bland and boxed in by comparison, despite being the better 'measuring' speaker.

Being confused by the Revels in this way, I started exploring the Focal Aria line, and really enjoyed the Aria 936. Compared to the Revels, it sounded more 'exciting' to my ears...more forward without being fatiguing, big open soundstage and really nice texture, just very enjoyable all around.

Recently, I auditioned the Mofi Sourcepoint 10 because, like many, I wanted to see/hear what all the hype was about. I was suspicious, even with Andrew Jones as the designer, with it being Mofi's first foray into speaker design...but I was honestly kind of blown away by them.

At the moment, I am tempted by the Sourcepoints, but they are pushing my budget at over 3,500K with stands. To that end, the Aria 936 can be found in great used condition for around $2,500 and the Revel f36 for even less still.

Just curious if anyone has heard all of these speakers and has any feedback / insight? Or recommend anything at a similar price point. Attributes I'm looking for are: Open, airy sound but not too bright, great midrange (priority), and good off axis response (horizontal).

Current set up for context:

Vandersteen 3A, powered by Audio Research D-300, Denon 4700 as preamp, Topping D90 DAC, Sota Comet TT with Rega Exact cart and Parasound JC3 Jr phono pre.

Thanks
I think you have a great system. Mine is similar, I have the Vandy's and a pair of Emotiva monoblock amps, with a Topping E50 as (DAC/Preamp) and WiiM as Optical input. I was pretty happy with the setup but the bass seemed too soft & undefined. I added a subwoofer and my system is complete ! Now rock/pop drums have a snappy tight sound, which I like. If I want smooth acoustic jazz, I can turn off the sub. I have listened to many speakers, but the Vandersteen's are just amazing to listen to for hours at a stretch. Sound stage is so wide, I hopped out of my chair to see if my surrounds were on, they weren't. I hope you followed the RV setup instructions to the letter, including hanging a weight off a string and measuring the distance and cross referencing it to his placement chart. I can say, I find no need to go any further in pursuit of audio perfection. That last 1% is exponentially more expensive with the law of diminishing returns looking like a cosmic black hole.

Top Bottom