• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there a speaker more useful for me than the D&D 8C?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I ordered some heavy monitors (Dutch and Dutch 8c) they were crated and shipped strapped to a pallet. It's how I expect them to be sent.
I live within a mile of the Nashville VK. Guess if I ever buy from them, I load up the wagon myself and drive my 8C's home.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I auditioned a pair of Mesanovic RTM 10 from VK and I had no problems with shipping. I ordered from the VK in Nashville.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I live within a mile of the Nashville VK. Guess if I ever buy from them, I load up the wagon myself and drive my 8C's home.
I ordered the D&D direct from the manufacturer. I'm not sure who there reps were in the US at the time but they told me they would be shipped from a warehouse I think in Ohio? I only dealt with D&D. I didn't keep them it was before roon worked and I had other obligations. On a positive note I sold them during the pandemic for more than I bought them.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered the D&D direct from the manufacturer. I'm not sure who there reps were in the US at the time but they told me they would be shipped from a warehouse I think in Ohio? I only dealt with D&D. I didn't keep them it was before roon worked and I had other obligations. On a positive note I sold them during the pandemic for more than I bought them.
A good investment then.

I was an early adopter, so mine came from the Netherlands...

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The only way monitors should be packaged and shipped
maxresdefault (13).jpg
epjjhczfmogcuglz890p (1).jpg

OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor
Figured I'd update you all. 420 #2 came in today, in the original Neumann packaging and totally fine.

That, combined with the missing chunk of baffle not being in the box with #1, makes me think that this was actually FedEx's doing and not VK. They probably dropped it hard enough that the box was damaged and tried to pull a fast one to avoid an insurance claim.

Pic attached, the broken off corner.

Attachments

• PXL_20231229_153806060.jpg
    PXL_20231229_153806060.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 123

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Damn that's some serious damage
Did you listen to the one that wasn't damaged ?

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Figured I'd update you all. 420 #2 came in today, in the original Neumann packaging and totally fine.

That, combined with the missing chunk of baffle not being in the box with #1, makes me think that this was actually FedEx's doing and not VK. They probably dropped it hard enough that the box was damaged and tried to pull a fast one to avoid an insurance claim.

That sucks.
I sent a Marantz 2385 to California (~ 60lbs) via FedEx and even though I put it in an oversized box reinforced with plywood and surrounded it with spray foam, they still managed to damage it.

prestigetone

Does look like a drop. Still that's not enough packaging without double boxes.

OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor
Update on the lone KH420:

A tiny bit bright in my room (-1dB shelf on the back cured it). Does not even slightly care about volume, unlike the 8C - one speaker gets louder than I'll ever listen with "Partition" by Beyonce which has the goofiest sub drops known to mankind, with not even a slight hint of strain.

Oddly, doesn't sound that much like the 310. The 310 has a boxiness to it that is hard to escape (attribute this to the LF driver working harder), and this just... doesn't.

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor

A tiny bit bright in my room (-1dB shelf on the back cured it). Does not even slightly care about volume, unlike the 8C - one speaker gets louder than I'll ever listen with "Partition" by Beyonce which has the goofiest sub drops known to mankind, with not even a slight hint of strain.

Oddly, doesn't sound that much like the 310. The 310 has a boxiness to it that is hard to escape (attribute this to the LF driver working harder), and this just... doesn't.
Does the bass shake the room ?

goat76

Major Contributor

When will your replacement for the broken speaker arrive?

OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor

sharock

Got any pics? So one KH420 gets louder than the pair of D&D? How loud do you listen and at what distance out of curiousity?

OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor
Top Bottom