• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introducing Directiva - An ASR open source platform speaker project

Newman

Major Contributor
I tested the top module without a high pass on some bass heavy tracks, and while there was no real output in the low range, and quite a bit of driver movement, I could not detect any audible distortion. I'm going to fire them up tomorrow in a 3-way configuration and see what happens. My horns are as dynamic as they come so it should be interesting.
Speaking of using them without a high pass, I am thinking of using them as satellites, ie let the AV unit manage the HP to the subs.

What do you think would be a reasonable AV XO frequency that the module could manage and still remain excellent?

Nwickliff

Hi Rick,

could you perhaps edit post #1 from time to time, so that it starts with links to the posts in the thread that represent the 'most current' design details for this project?

If not, can you point me to the key posts please?

I have quite lost track.

cheers
This what you're looking for?

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Rick,

could you perhaps edit post #1 from time to time, so that it starts with links to the posts in the thread that represent the 'most current' design details for this project?

If not, can you point me to the key posts please?

I have quite lost track.

cheers

If you are looking to get up to speed on r2, start on this thread at post #880.

There is also a prototype build thread that just got started. It is a bit harder to find, but will get it pinned.

Newman

Major Contributor
If you are looking to get up to speed on r2, start on this thread at post #880.
Thanks Rick.

It appears that I am not the only one who cannot see the images in post #880, but post #883 is helpful (assuming it is indeed the same images).

As I said, I am trying to identify the current iteration of the r2 2-way module, for use as a satellite, but, starting from #880, I can't find any info on box dimensions, vent dimensions and placement, and crossover settings (active) or network (passive).

It is probably somewhere, scattered in different posts. That's why I am suggesting 'latest iteration' updated links added to post #1.

cheers

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Rick.

It appears that I am not the only one who cannot see the images in post #880, but post #883 is helpful (assuming it is indeed the same images).

As I said, I am trying to identify the current iteration of the r2 2-way module, for use as a satellite, but, starting from #880, I can't find any info on box dimensions, vent dimensions and placement, and crossover settings (active) or network (passive).

It is probably somewhere, scattered in different posts. That's why I am suggesting 'latest iteration' updated links added to post #1.

cheers

Sorry but r2 is only in the prototype stage. Per request, we have shared an early look, but we are less than halfway done at this point.

When the team is satisfied with the design, we will share more specifics.

Newman

Major Contributor
Thanks, I get it now.

So, which posts encapsulates the current/end status of r1?

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Newman

Major Contributor
Thanks, I did not realise there were multiple threads.

Perhaps post #1 in each thread could provide cross links for newcomers to the project(s).

cheers

fluid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...e-platform-speaker-project.20407/post-1045248
"Excursus:
You can also see (in the graphic above) very well why the crossover frequency should not fall below 200Hz, because there is sound cancellation due to the phase shift between the driver and slots and therefore the harmonic distortion will increase significantly (when the sound pressure level of the speaker top is linearized below 200Hz).
At 100Hz the cancellation is over -4dB compared to the woofer alone."

If you are looking for a satellite to cross to subwoofers the r2 top module needs the add on woofer module in between.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...e-platform-speaker-project.20407/post-1045248
"Excursus:
You can also see (in the graphic above) very well why the crossover frequency should not fall below 200Hz, because there is sound cancellation due to the phase shift between the driver and slots and therefore the harmonic distortion will increase significantly (when the sound pressure level of the speaker top is linearized below 200Hz).
At 100Hz the cancellation is over -4dB compared to the woofer alone."

If you are looking for a satellite to cross to subwoofers the r2 top module needs the add on woofer module in between.

Thank you - that's exactly right.

@Newman

Unfortunately the top module on its own will not function as a satellite speaker. You have to look at R2 as a 3-way system. Depending on your spl needs however, the bass module could be kept small. As Rick mentioned this project is ongoing, so stay tuned.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks a bit silly, but it'll have to do for the time being.

VUcu4ZH.png

We're still nowhere near finished of course - but R2 has the potential to be a truly terrific system, so much is obvious. To my ears, I experienced at the same time the clarity of a large horn system, combined with the smoothness of a direct radiator.

Still much work to do, comparing crossovers and A/Bing against different systems - but so far I've not at all been left disappointed.

K31z0

Hi Tim,

Absolute gorgeous little Speaker. Would you mind sharing the size of the speaker? How would the radiation pattern change if the speaker was mounted at a distance of 10 cm from the wall?

Cheers and keep up the great work,

Keizo

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Tim,

Absolute gorgeous little Speaker. Would you mind sharing the size of the speaker? How would the radiation pattern change if the speaker was mounted at a distance of 10 cm from the wall?

Cheers and keep up the great work,

Keizo

+/- 30cm (h) x 18 (w) x 14 (d)

It's a pretty small unit.

Do you mean from the front wall or the side wall? The vents do need a little bit of space to function properly. I haven't done any practical tests in this regard but it is something I'm planning to do in a later stage.

dc655321

Major Contributor
The vents do need a little bit of space to function properly. I haven't done any practical tests in this regard but it is something I'm planning to do in a later stage.

Great. Thanks!
Very curious about that aspect as well.

K31z0

+/- 30cm (h) x 18 (w) x 14 (d)

It's a pretty small unit.

Do you mean from the front wall or the side wall? The vents do need a little bit of space to function properly. I haven't done any practical tests in this regard but it is something I'm planning to do in a later stage.
Awesome, thanks for sharing the size of the speakers. I would like to mount the speakers on the back wall, as my currently used floor standing speakers currently take up too much space. For the suspension I would like to use a wall mount like this:
24140-000-55.jpg

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Awesome, thanks for sharing the size of the speakers. I would like to mount the speakers on the back wall, as my currently used floor standing speakers currently take up too much space. For the suspension I would like to use a wall mount like this:
View attachment 181594

Have you considered that the top module needs a bass module for it function properly, since it does not play well below ~200Hz?

D!sco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’m not a pro 3D modeler by any means but I could also work on some CNC files for easy flat pack style assembly. Front and rear baffle being the largest pieces and with the complexity of some of the cuts, I can see a small CNC machine milling panels or a large one making a flat pack out of a standard plywood sheet. I think this baffle fits in my CNC machine.

Does the bass module need to be placed on or near the monitor, or can they be separated? I assume they still need to be facing the listener at that frequency range.

Newman

Major Contributor
You can also see (in the graphic above) very well why the crossover frequency should not fall below 200Hz
Thanks for this. Excellent post BTW.

Because I am interested in using the 2-way module as a satellite (and who knows, I may not be alone), it would be good if we can identify a neat way to use it as such, while keeping the project goal of being somewhat affordable compared to Purifi. It only needs to get down to 80-ish Hz, or possibly 120 Hz at the very highest, and all in one cabinet (desirable for a satellite speaker).

2 options come to mind:-
  • 1. A small, affordable, but adequate bass driver, built into the 2-way module in a compact way.
  • 2. Replace the SB15 driver with one capable of handling the task to a lower frequency, at a similar price to the combined price of the SB15 plus the bass driver identified in option 1.
Is anyone on the project team willing to put a little thought into this idea?

thanks

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for this. Excellent post BTW.

Because I am interested in using the 2-way module as a satellite (and who knows, I may not be alone), it would be good if we can identify a neat way to use it as such, while keeping the project goal of being somewhat affordable compared to Purifi. It only needs to get down to 80-ish Hz, or possibly 120 Hz at the very highest, and all in one cabinet (desirable for a satellite speaker).

2 options come to mind:-
  • 1. A small, affordable, but adequate bass driver, built into the 2-way module in a compact way.
  • 2. Replace the SB15 driver with one capable of handling the task to a lower frequency, at a similar price to the combined price of the SB15 plus the bass driver identified in option 1.
Is anyone on the project team willing to put a little thought into this idea?

thanks

see post #951

Top Bottom