• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I'm really conflicted

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
For sure I'd want them in my house. They can be setup to look good in a variety of decor's going by the google image searches. I suppose they look best on top of bare wood flooring, and the more visible hardwood in the picture, the better they tend to look. Just my opinion of course. As for the question "who would want" these speakers, I think it's safe to say a fairly large number of people. The Wilson WATT/Puppy is the best selling speaker of all time priced over $10K.

115929410_10159786125992656_4631043663125820693_o.jpg

71838299_10158705018932656_4068246894545993728_n.png

yes

None of those are pimp purple, tho.

OP
bandit

bandit

Forum Donor
Do you enjoy the feel of the knobs on the Accuphase? How about the looks?
Believe it or not the knobs where a huge factor which influenced my purchase, they gave me the feeling of absolute quality of the unit. Even Esoteric or other more expensive units which I've had my hands on don't even come close to the Accuphase quality. Concerning the looks, I love it, I started off with vintage audio components with their big UVs, so if you add together the looks and the quality of the unit it was a no brainer for me. It's a shame to know it actually has a few design issues, I wasn't expecting it from Accuphase, now I'm afraid even its integrated bigger brothers suffer form the same flaws.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Believe it or not the knobs where a huge factor which influenced my purchase, they gave me the feeling of absolute quality of the unit. Even Esoteric or other more expensive units which I've had my hands on don't even come close to the Accuphase quality..

Did you try the Luxman knobs?

OP
bandit

bandit

Forum Donor
You seem to be really torn about what direction to head with your system as a whole. I’ve seen a number of your threads now and I feel your pain. Remember that there is no “right” answer. If you have the means and desire, just get what makes you happy! Best is just what makes you excited and brings you pleasure.
The main problem is I don't really have the means, I would have to save quite a bit in order to upgrade my system that's why I want to be sure I'm heading in the right direction :)

OP
bandit

bandit

Forum Donor
Why don't you just START enjoying the MUSIC ?
That would without a doubt be the most rational thing to do, wouldn't it? Well, unfortunately..... hahaha

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The main problem is I don't really have the means, I would have to save quite a bit in order to upgrade my system that's why I want to be sure I'm heading in the right direction :)

For many hobbyists, that never really goes away, regardless of means.

Their systems simply scale with their income.

And there is always something more expensive, or better performing, tempting you.

I'm certainly guilty, as well.

OP
bandit

bandit

Forum Donor
I've been considering making the leap to actives as opposed to passives when the time comes. I've been favouring brands that let me choose a custom finish, so ATC and Kii 3 are very high up there on my list. I'm wondering, would a pair of Genelec W371A+8351 outperform the Kii 3+BXT modules? Why? I believe that Genelec is sold thru the pro market and as such you don't get the white glove after market treatment you do with the Kii 3. So no home delivery and fine tuning by the dealer for you. You will have to set them up yourself.

Costs wise, it seems the Genelec setup will cost about $10K less than the Kii one.

w371amm.png

vfc6fdl6jlu41.jpg
Honestly, looks wise the kii three take the crown without a doubt, would love to listen to them someday.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
John could make the AHB and DAC look like an Accuphase or Mac. Cosmetically. But then he'd probably have to sell it for double the price. Which would still be a good deal compared to Accuphase or McIntosh.

That said, I do miss some 'consumer' features found in Accuphase and Mac. Such as balance controls for analog sources. For all digital sources it doesn't matter.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How funny. I did the same. I moved, so had to sell my big MC352 amp and replace it with a pair of AHB2's. Except for me, the McIntosh was the centerpiece of my system. The AHB2's? I shoved them into the fireplace and covered them up with a screen. They're nothing to look at.
I guess if you prefer to look at it you buy the McIntosh; if you prefer to listen you buy the AHB2 ;)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
You want that in your house??

I'd love to see what matching furniture you have in mind to go with it.
I think they'd be great if you're going for ' early 90s Russian gangsta ( Tarzan ) owned Miami strip joint ' look.

8238720.0.jpg

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Purple goes well with green skinned humanoids.

c.f. The Hulk

So....now we know purple speakers are good for pimps, fat Russian gangsters, Shrek, and the Hulk.
Well the pimp, russian gangsta and the hulk can afford theirs .., I'm worried about what shrek is going to have to do with that donkey in order to get enough coin for his pair.

cistercian

Forum Donor
Should I sell my Accuphase e-270 to buy a benchmark AHB2? I love the looks of my Accuphase but the Benchmark performs better, at the same time it looks extremely boring to my eyes. How do you guys deal with the beauty/performance ratio of your system?

PS: will a top notch passive system surpass top notch active speakers? I'm questioning the point of buying the best measuring components which may not be visually appealing if I could just settle for actives assuming what I want is purely performance.

Keep the Accuphase. If you like the looks and the control feel that matters. I do not think the audio performance difference
is worth the trouble to change to a different amp! Don't worry about the test and just enjoy it.

Top Bottom