• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suddenly in the market for a DAC, overwhelmed by choice. Need some help narrowing down choices.

Ngower

Hello,

Apologies if this belongs elsewhere.

My Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 has started to fail (volume faltering/wavering, static in the sound). As such I'm eyeing a new DAC.

My use case it connected to the TV's optical out almost exclusively for TV/movies/Apple Music. I'd like to keep my options under $500, the lower the better. I see plenty of options available from Topping, SMSL, etc. I don't need balanced output, MQA/DSD support, etc. My priorities are price-to-performance ratio, the best possible chip/fidelity possible, "it just works" reliability.

I have my eyes on the Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100, even if it is a little old. I can't really seem to differentiate the SMSL SU-x, Dx, Toppng E/Dx, etc.

A side-question: would I be better suited to a network streamer with an optical in? Or grab a cheap AVR for TV/movies and a cheap DAC/streamer for streaming music?

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would start with the reviews here and dial it in by budget.

I know that sounds lazy, but the data here for DACs is awesome and I think very trustworthy.

(I also admit to having done that, myself! I got an SMSL I really like.)

OP
N

Ngower

I would start with the reviews here and dial it in by budget.

I know that sounds lazy, but the data here for DACs is awesome and I think very trustworthy.

(I also admit to having done that, myself! I got an SMSL I really like.)
I've been skimming through but there's literally hundreds of reviews on here. It's overwhelming.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
SMSL SU-6 should be enough for optical in and RCA analog outs.

But maybe you also want streaming capabilities to play music too without the TV? Then a WiiM Pro + Remote would be a great choice (or Pro Plus too, better DAC).

OP
N

Ngower

SMSL SU-6 should be enough for optical in and RCA analog outs.

But maybe you also want streaming capabilities to play music too without the TV? Then a WiiM Pro + Remote would be a great choice (or Pro Plus too, better DAC).

WiiM is a non-starter until they have full Apple Music support. As is it would be capped at 24/48 unless I hook up an iPad to it which kinda defeats the point of a streamer.

That SMSL seems to have a decent amount of negative reviews on various sites (not in terms of performance, just that it fails)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
WiiM is a non-starter until they have full Apple Music support. As is it would be capped at 24/48 unless I hook up an iPad to it which kinda defeats the point of a streamer.

That SMSL seems to have a decent amount of negative reviews on various sites (not in terms of performance, just that it fails)
But you can't hear the difference between 24/48 and anything higher. No-one can - regardless of what they tell you.

So you shouldn't limit your choices because of that.

Last edited:
OP
N

Ngower

But you can't hear the difference between 24/48 and anything higher. No-one can - regardless of what they tell you.

Airplay 2 often downsamples from ALAC to AAC. It's why I'd prefer to keep things wired. 24/48 is fine IF that's the stable rate at which Apple Music via Airplay sticks to. There's plenty of evidence out there that it's a toss-up. Any Airplay 2 streaming for Apple Music vs a native app is ultimately what I'm saying is a disqualifier for a DAC.

greenbear

Easy just get a SMSL SU-1.

The SMSL SU-1 is under $100 and you would have to spend over $300 (maybe even $500) to get anything else that comes close to it and even then any difference would depend on your amp and speakers.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have my eyes on the Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100, even if it is a little old. I can't really seem to differentiate the SMSL SU-x, Dx, Toppng E/Dx, etc.
The good news is you probably wouldn’t be able to distinguish 80-90% of DACs, so just shop on features you want. My son has an SMSL that works really well.

OP
N

Ngower

Easy just get a SMSL SU-1.

The SMSL SU-1 is under $100 and you would have to spend over $300 (maybe even $500) to get anything else that comes close to it and even then any difference would depend on your amp and speakers.

I had my eyes on this per a different recommendation elsewhere. More than a few reports of failures fairly early into ownership (including on this forum). Reliability is my number one want in a DAC.

OP
N

Ngower

From my own research, I think it's down to the JDS Labs Atom 2 or Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100

greenbear

I had my eyes on this per a different recommendation elsewhere. More than a few reports of failures fairly early into ownership (including on this forum). Reliability is my number one want in a DAC.

I have had mine since May and use it daily since then with no issues.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been skimming through but there's literally hundreds of reviews on here. It's overwhelming.
One can sort by brand or price ( click top of the column). So pick your needed and wanted features: balanced connects, volume knob, display,inputs, etc. Topping and SMSL mostly test highly by Amir and they have many variations. As others have said don't overdue it price wise as this technology is mature and high performing for little money.

VMAT4

Forum Donor
JDS Labs customer service can't be beat. I speak from my own experience with the company. I'd go with the JDS Atom DAC 2.

greenbear

From my own research, I think it's down to the JDS Labs Atom 2 or Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100

I have previously owned the DACMagic and do not rate it. I compared it to the the Topping DX3 and SMSL SU-1 and it did not come close in my system.

I have heard good things about the JDS but never used it myself.

Anton D

My motto: There is nothing like people making recommendations to help me settle on what I already had in mind!

Hope you like them, it's a no lose situation!

OP
N

Ngower

My motto: There is nothing like people making recommendations to help me settle on what I already had in mind!

Hope you like them, it's a no lose situation!
The lack of consensus only exacerbated my overwhelmed nature. So I stuck with what I know.

I have experience with a JDS Labs Atom (original) so that makes me less averse to them as well.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

It certainly is a good DAC.

OP
N

Ngower

Bought the Atom 2. I had a mostly positive experience with the first iteration in a headphone setup. Hoping this one will suit my needs.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Topping DX1?
Bought the Atom 2. I had a mostly positive experience with the first iteration in a headphone setup. Hoping this one will suit my needs.
Probably a great option. JDS Labs makes awesome stuff

Top Bottom