• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I'm really conflicted

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
If the sound of your Accuphase is degrading consider an revision with better elco's, capacitors, reinforced solder joints etc. etc. you are in for an pleasant surprise probably for the next 25 years or so.

I don't think that removes the mid-fragging that Amir's review has done to him.

He should sell it to someone immune to such data and take comfort in the numbers, as appears to be his natural tendency.

Then after 5 years of buying good-measuring-but-boring-looking gear, he'll reverse course and start buying attractive stuff again.

Cindi

Deciding what your true goals for owning the audio equipment are will allow you to make better choices about what gear you should own.

A friend of mine has a very high end setup of all matching beautiful gear that sounds wonderful and costs more than a nice new Mercedes-Benz SLC Roadster. It brings him joy beyond what I can comprehend.

I have a much, much smaller budget than my friend (above) and I am happy to tradeoff how the equipment "looks" to achieve the best realizable performance for the budget available. I love the notion of objective measurements to assist in making decisions (research and engineering mindset), I also embrace the law of diminishing returns for what is ultimately a subjective experience.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Should I sell my Accuphase e-270 to buy a benchmark AHB2? I love the looks of my Accuphase but the Benchmark performs better, at the same time it looks extremely boring to my eyes. How do you guys deal with the beauty/performance ratio of your system?

PS: will a top notch passive system surpass top notch active speakers? I'm questioning the point of buying the best measuring components which may not be visually appealing if I could just settle for actives assuming what I want is purely performance.
First, good for you to bring up the appearance factor. For me and I'm sure for many others it is an important component in overall satisfaction with your system. I sold a beautiful McIntosh amp for a pair of AHB2s and couldn't be more pleased. I did not even know how the Mac would measure but there's no doubt about the superb performance of the Benchmark amp. In terms of appearance, I love the symmetric appearance of the two AHBs and I especially appreciate the difference in weight. I suspect your amp weighs about 20kg whereas the AHBs are 5-6 kg ea. I move my stuff around and this was a major factor. You also have the flexibility of using them in stereo or bridge mode.

Regarding the subjective factor, just looking at the AHBs while listening and knowing that they are superbly engineered and delivering untouched power to my speakers is beautiful. Resale might also be better with the AHBs but not sure. Re the passive/active question, I dislike the practice of putting everything into one box so I prefer passive. SQ of the two options? Subject for another thread altogether.

OP
bandit

bandit

Forum Donor
Loudspeaker and the room, if you really want a tangible improvement, rather than a very slight difference at best.
Keith
Great advice thank you! Any passive speaker you feel like recommending?

pma

Major Contributor

Like this one? ;)

wa_maxx.jpg

OP
bandit

bandit

Forum Donor
I think you should sell the Accuphase to me and relieve yourself of all this unhappiness.

I'm happy to take on this heavy burden for a nice deal.
Now that you have changed my mind I'm afraid that is out of question. lol

OP
bandit

bandit

Forum Donor
He seems to be at the right place to me to answer his questions. Not sure how that's helpful in keeping him around...

If that was meant to be funny, an /s or smiley thing can help, especially with our newest members.

Let's make an extra effort with those here in good faith. There are plenty who may deserve that, but I don't think @bandit is one of those.
First, good for you to bring up the appearance factor. For me and I'm sure for many others it is an important component in overall satisfaction with your system. I sold a beautiful McIntosh amp for a pair of AHB2s and couldn't be more pleased. I did not even know how the Mac would measure but there's no doubt about the superb performance of the Benchmark amp. In terms of appearance, I love the symmetric appearance of the two AHBs and I especially appreciate the difference in weight. I suspect your amp weighs about 20kg whereas the AHBs are 5-6 kg ea. I move my stuff around and this was a major factor. You also have the flexibility of using them in stereo or bridge mode.

Regarding the subjective factor, just looking at the AHBs while listening and knowing that they are superbly engineered and delivering untouched power to my speakers is beautiful. Resale might also be better with the AHBs but not sure. Re the passive/active question, I dislike the practice of putting everything into one box so I prefer passive. SQ of the two options? Subject for another thread altogether.
I'm really glad you are at peace with your system! thanks for your answer

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Revel, Kef both appear to be measurement based, personally I would choose active and just place a photograph of your Accuphase in the amps place.
Keith

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Obviously the only rational solution is to give me the accuphase and buy a benchmark. I can’t believe we’ve had 3 pages of this thread and that was missed:facepalm:

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
I vote for Kii 3 since you can sell the Accuphase and help fund a good chunk of that towards them. If passives, I'd take a look at the Magico M2 but it's really expensive.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you were in the US, I'd buy your Accuphase e-270...

You will never know about SQ w/o a listening test.

Do you enjoy the feel of the knobs on the Accuphase? How about the looks?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Shouldn't be buying them for the sound either, unless you just want to crank some rock on a pair of Maxx's, and even then my preferred bevevage would be M2's.

I've never understood Wilson's following.

These days, I also only buy speakers from people who can make their own drivers.

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
I love how Wilson speakers look! I’d be very happy to own a pair of Alexia 2 one day, in the same high gloss purple finish as these puppies.

Screenshot-2019-12-03-at-11.33.46_result.jpg

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First, good for you to bring up the appearance factor. For me and I'm sure for many others it is an important component in overall satisfaction with your system. I sold a beautiful McIntosh amp for a pair of AHB2s and couldn't be more pleased. I did not even know how the Mac would measure but there's no doubt about the superb performance of the Benchmark amp. In terms of appearance, I love the symmetric appearance of the two AHBs and I especially appreciate the difference in weight.

How funny. I did the same. I moved, so had to sell my big MC352 amp and replace it with a pair of AHB2's. Except for me, the McIntosh was the centerpiece of my system. The AHB2's? I shoved them into the fireplace and covered them up with a screen. They're nothing to look at.

Top Bottom