• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apparent power consumption of whole audio system during daily audio listening sessions: how SDGs-friendly is it? (not the idle power, please.)

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now that I believe I have (almost) completed the setup of my PC-DSP-based multichannel multi-SP-driver multi-amplifier fully active audio system (ref. here #774 on my project thread), today I measured apparent power consumption of the whole audio system during my routine/daily music listening session while I was playing full orchestral fff Tutti quite loudly (almost maximum volume/gain in my listening room environments); the power consumption included one audio dedicated PC and its LCD monitor. The 55-inch OLED TV was not connected/powered-on.
WS00006957.JPG

The measurement was done after about 20 min warming-up of the whole system.

In Japan, our AC electricity is 100 V, and the total AC current for the system was around 2.72 A as shown above, so the "apparent power consumption" is around 272 W which is fortunately well below my expectation (or even my and my wife's a little bit of fear) for the multichannel multi-amplifier setup.

Just for your interest and reference, details of my latest audio setup can be found here #774 on my project thread, and the total physical setup is shown in this diagram; in daily audio music listening session, I do not connect/power-on my 55-inch OLED TV Panasonic TH-55Z1800.
WS00006940.JPG

You would please find the daily standard start-up/ignition sequences for my audio listening session here #776 on my project thread.

As you can easily guess, the main power eaters are four integrated amplifiers Class-AB Accuphase E-460, Class-AB Yamaha A-S3000, Class-AB Yamaha A-S301, Quasi-Class-A Sony TA-A1ES, and the L&R active subwoofers Yamaha YST-SW1000. I have been speculating that these power eaters consume more than 600 W at maximum gain/volume load, but the actual power consumption by them is less than 240 W at peak. (This was confirmed by turning-off all of these five and showing around 40 W residual power consumption by other audio gears including the PC and LCD monitor, DAC8PRO, 12-VU-Meter Array, etc.)

In case if I also use my 55-inch Panasonic 4K OLED TV TH-55HZ1800 for YouTube and other audio-visual sessions (ref. here and here), it will consume additional about 360 W, but I seldom do it in my "mainly-audio-only setup", i.e. less than once for 2 hours in three months.

In any way, we (my wife and myself) are now relieved knowing that our daily standard music listening session using my multichannel audio rig consumes rather SDGs-friendly only around 270 W which is well less than our prior thoughts/fears.

How about in your audio(-visual) setup during your ordinary/daily music (video) listening sessions? Is it SDGs-friendly based on your personal standard??

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I have one of those pass through, plug in power monitors similar to this:

1707142402065.png

I haven't tried my current set-up, but I did with a previous system that consisted of two Hypex UCD700HG mono amps, linear power supply with a ~750VA toroidal transformer in each and a preamp. UK mains voltage in should be ~230v, but in my home it measures nearer 240v. Near-field, at my typical listening volume, I was surprised that it measured under 50w which suggest that I had a fair bit of headroom. :)

I'll try my current set-up a bit later.

jbattman1016

On the UPS is shows power (Ws) going between 161 and 189. I think the TV draws depends on what is show, but not sure. Not much for 5.1

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My entire system consumes 500mA from 240v mains, so 120VA. It makes no difference whether at idle or playing at even loud listening levels. I have to go to 'leave the room' levels for the consumption to go above 150 VA. If I switch on my turntables, power consumption goes up another 80 VA or thereabouts. Power amps are class AB, and I have 6 channels of amplification.

I use a mains sequencer to switch the system on and off in the right order to avoid switching thumps.
S

D

Deleted member 48726

On the UPS is shows power (Ws) going between 161 and 189. I think the TV draws depends on what is show, but not sure. Not much for 5.1
It does. Especially true with OLED and plasma that generates own light and not frem large LEDs. My own plasma was ~200 W avg. but white screen over 300 (!)

I haven't any clue what my amplifier draws. I know I've clipped a 340 W power amp before but that's peak values. I think it only is possible to measure accurate with fast logging device averaged over some time to get the peaks included properly. Like 30 minutes playing and reading the kWh value instead.

Top Bottom