• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I'm really conflicted

bandit

Forum Donor
Should I sell my Accuphase e-270 to buy a benchmark AHB2? I love the looks of my Accuphase but the Benchmark performs better, at the same time it looks extremely boring to my eyes. How do you guys deal with the beauty/performance ratio of your system?

PS: will a top notch passive system surpass top notch active speakers? I'm questioning the point of buying the best measuring components which may not be visually appealing if I could just settle for actives assuming what I want is purely performance.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd doubt an audible benefit of the Benchmark. So unless there some shortcoming of the Accuphase as you use it, I'd stick with what you have.

Look at Amir's review and use only rca inputs on the unit you have.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Should I sell my Accuphase e-270 to buy a benchmark AHB2?

Should I sell my DAC2 and get a DAC3? Won't there be a DAC4 soon?

How do you guys deal with the beauty/performance ratio of your system?

I don't worry about it.

It is like asking us: how do you guys deal with an ugly girl who is super nice and smart?

Send her out for a make-over and hope nobody else snatches her on her way out of the salon.

pma

Major Contributor
Should I sell my Accuphase e-270 to buy a benchmark AHB2? I love the looks of my Accuphase but the Benchmark performs better, at the same time it looks extremely boring to my eyes. How do you guys deal with the beauty/performance ratio of your system?

PS: will a top notch passive system surpass top notch active speakers? I'm questioning the point of buying the best measuring components which may not be visually appealing if I could just settle for actives assuming what I want is purely performance.

These are 2 very different amplifiers. Accuphase has tone controls, loudness compensator and MM/MC phono input. Benchmark has none of those. So it depends what you need. Benchmark will have somewhat better specs and negligibly more power, but is is just an amplifier without tone controls and phono input. Personally, I would stick with the Accuphase.

OP
bandit

bandit

Forum Donor
Should I sell my DAC2 and get a DAC3? Won't there be a DAC4 soon?
I don't care at all about having the latest, coolest, components, I was just wondering whether the AHB1 would bring more satisfaction to my ears than the accuphase would bring to my eyes. In other words, if based on your experience it would be a smart upgrade or whether at this stage the benefits would be barely audible. I'm a noob to this world and have lots of questions, many of them are stupid but I can't help but ask them ;)

OP
bandit

bandit

Forum Donor
It is like asking us: how do you guys deal with an ugly girl who is super nice and smart?

Do your own choices.
Girls can't be purchased though... oh wait

OP
bandit

bandit

Forum Donor
I'd doubt an audible benefit of the Benchmark. So unless there some shortcoming of the Accuphase as you use it, I'd stick with what you have.

Look at Amir's review and use only rca inputs on the unit you have.
I've read his review and that's what made me question the Accuphase, I was fine with it before reading it but I can't unread it, and neither can I make my brain draw rational conclusions.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I don't care at all about having the latest, coolest, components, I was just wondering whether the AHB1 would bring more satisfaction to my ears than the accuphase would bring to my eyes. In other words, if based on your experience it would be a smart upgrade or whether at this stage the benefits would be barely audible. I'm a noob to this world and have lots of questions, many of them are stupid but I can't help but ask them ;)

Dont think that you realy can hear a difference in a abx. Be happy with your beauty until you realy need something more powerfull.

OP
bandit

bandit

Forum Donor
Sry paralell. You own a beautyfull nice amp. Now it could be possible you need a more powerfull amp thats possible i dont know your circumstanses. But just for a little bit better measurements its useless, dont think you could hear a difference at 30W.
makes sense thank you very much

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

I'd be keeping that Accuphase...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've read his review and that's what made me question the Accuphase, I was fine with it before reading it but I can't unread it, and neither can I make my brain draw rational conclusions.
Do some of the foobar abx tests on recent threads here on distortion. All are well above anything your amp distorts. Some you'll find you cannot hear. That should give you piece of mind.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Do your own choices.

Keep the lights down...

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love the looks of my Accuphase but the Benchmark performs better, at the same time it looks extremely boring to my eyes.

Are you sure this is the right hobby for you?

Katji

Major Contributor
[...] How do you guys deal with the beauty/performance ratio of your system?
I was wondering how this could be done scientifically. Maybe we could enlist a psychologist to show us how to set up a survey, and how to analyse the data. Then maybe you could base your decision on some average...?

Top Bottom