• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I'd not ask this on any other forum....cables....

Wombat

Master Contributor
I'm sure the type of oil is quite important, ACF-50 is used in aircraft to combat corrosion so maybe that helps. It could still all go horribly wrong of course - as many things do - so we've got that going for us too :)

The best results I ever got with oil were on a OO/HO gauge railway in the garden. Tree sap from a couple of silver birches meant that I could start with shiny clean wheels and a (apparently) shiny clean track and after about four feet the train would stop with black stuff on the wheels.
As an experiment I oiled the track (luckily it was all flat as it does reduce grip quite a bit!!) and it would not only run around all day after that, but any loco would come back off the track with shiny clean wheels. I just used any oil to hand for that as I then built an 'oil-the-track' truck to push around at the beginning of a day.

The worst solderers in my experience were the electronics engineers, the lab techies always got better joints LOL.

Who had the most practice and training in soldering?
This sounds like the tradesman vs technician vs engineer vs scientist nonsense that some think is relevant.

bennetng

Major Contributor
CRW_0208.jpg

CuteStudio

Well, the techies had the training and the engineers had the practice...
For the techies the quality of a solder joint was a matter of pride, for the engineer it was just in the way to the next test.

I've always found soldering a doddle TBH, as long as the surface is oil, oxide and silicone free, hot iron, add solder, get out, result = one shiny joint that fully wets all the surfaces it needs to.

I do a fair bit of soldering copper pipes too and again it's the same drill: cleanliness, a good amount of plumbers flux, heat the join properly and add solder, as soon as it's fully wetted out withdraw and allow to cool naturally to about 50C and then wipe off the residue with a damp cloth. I usually use a mirror to check it's wetted around the back of joins too.
This is the way I get nice shiny joins that work, the keys are clean, heat, flux and speed IME.

Simples :)

Did my whole house water and central heating system and the extension, the first stuff I did is still fine after 17 years.

It's all plastic pipes these days for new builds, I'm just waiting for plastic audio interconnects now....

Wombat

Master Contributor
Well, the techies had the training and the engineers had the practice...
For the techies the quality of a solder joint was a matter of pride, for the engineer it was just in the way to the next test.

I've always found soldering a doddle TBH, as long as the surface is oil, oxide and silicone free, hot iron, add solder, get out, result = one shiny joint that fully wets all the surfaces it needs to.

I do a fair bit of soldering copper pipes too and again it's the same drill: cleanliness, a good amount of plumbers flux, heat the join properly and add solder, as soon as it's fully wetted out withdraw and allow to cool naturally to about 50C and then wipe off the residue with a damp cloth. I usually use a mirror to check it's wetted around the back of joins too.
This is the way I get nice shiny joins that work, the keys are clean, heat, flux and speed IME.

Simples :)

Did my whole house water and central heating system and the extension, the first stuff I did is still fine after 17 years.

It's all plastic pipes these days for new builds, I'm just waiting for plastic audio interconnects now....

The techies had more practice than professional engineers . If the techies generally couldn't solder better than most engineers then they were in the wrong job. They would all be outclassed by the old-school factory manufacturing-line 'ladies' who soldered day-in, day-out. ;)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
You see, this is what it's all about ... that track has absolutely wrong with it; it's an amazing journey of sound, that blew me away 30 years - fabulous!! A roller coaster ride of the first order - if a system can't take one on this journey with complete confidence and control then it's got problems - you don't need to "measure" to get answers; just listen, with the right material.

No, you're wrong. It's a horrid recording. Only the music saves it.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
No, you're wrong. It's a horrid recording. Only the music saves it.
Clearly you don’t go to enough live gigs and are blinded by ignorance... go solder your lug holes!

It’s one of my favourite tracks from them, can’t say it’s a great capture of a drum set though which is a bloody shame to say the least.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Clearly you don’t go to enough live gigs and are blinded by ignorance... go solder your lug holes!

It’s one of my favourite tracks from them, can’t say it’s a great capture of a drum set though which is a bloody shame to say the least.

Yes, the drum kit sounds like it was recorded in a fiberglass garden shed.

fas42

Major Contributor
Yes, the drum kit sounds like it was recorded in a fiberglass garden shed.
The point with this album is that it was very deliberately recorded to create a huge vista of sound - the last thing it will ever sound like is a bunch of musicians set up on a stage in front of you. The trick is whether that huge vista fully opens up for one, or not - the word to use at times is "monstrous", for the sense of space that is conjured.

Normal metal recordings are baby food, compared to what was engineered here ...

fas42

Major Contributor
As I've mentioned many times, it's the cymbals ... they're given a heavy workout here, and they should be 100% on the money - if they don't sound completely correct, fully convincing, then the playback is not working as well as it could.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I can't read it, not being a member...
They are miserable to deal with. You have to pay $200 to join, and then $19/month. After all that, you get access to just three papers/month! At every show I talk to them about their fees being unreasonable and they look at me as if I am from Mars. they are used to companies buying subscriptions and have no idea that this kind of fee is out of line seeing how they get the papers for free.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They are miserable to deal with. You have to pay $200 to join, and then $19/month. After all that, you get access to just three papers/month! At every show I talk to them about their fees being unreasonable and they look at me as if I am from Mars. they are used to companies buying subscriptions and have no idea that this kind of fee is out of line seeing how they get the papers for free.

I'm pretty certain if they charged $5 a paper to download, they would eclipse by an order of magnitude the fees they currently get. There aren't that many people who would download one paper a month, but there is a large, large number that would download a couple or three per year. If the transaction cost of $5 is too much, then maybe offer 5 papers for $25 or 10 for $40 or some such. If the organization would try this for just one year to see, it might be much better than they think.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
When I start researching something, I usually try to also read the references. As such, I would hit the limit very quickly in the case of IEEE.

I may have to sign up one of these days as it is frustrating when I run into a reference that is on IEEE.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Hmmm... I thought it was unlimited for the societies that you join but have not tried recently. Alas, I can't afford to join them all. and am not at all sure Trans. Components is included in my current memberships. In this case the abstract is probably enough... I remember all the claims of "tunneling" and thought it odd since it did not jibe with my (limited) knowledge of tunneling, mainly RTDs and as found in active devices both desirable (worked with some special HBTs that realized it for very high frequency response) and undesirable (e.g. leakage currents).

I have noticed the prices continually rise and the value to me has gone down over the years... An unlimited membership in the AES is not inexpensive, either, but at least you do get access to everything. I keep thinking I'll join again but have so little time and energy outside my day job it just hasn't happened.

TBone

Major Contributor
hmm ... always wondered why audiophiles prefer one cable over another (inc. myself) especially interconnects. How can one hear differences with all the various internal wiring, switches, pots, resistors, and plenty solder joints within many components - is beyond me. When I rebuilt my pre-amp not long ago, I used a variety of cables ...

- from TT input RCA to phono gain stage=shielded silver plated-over-copper-plated-over-metal core (a military spec requirement) Belden. This wire is a complete no-no to many audiophiles (Dave at WBF would probably have a fit disapproving the use of this very cable). From Line level RCA to direct input passive line stage=Kimber pure silver, the non-direct passive route/stage (more switching & balance pot)=Kimber copper, their to line gain stage, again with the "not-audiophile-approved" shielded silver/copper/metal core Belden, and from line stage to output RCA's, Kimber pure silver. My mono DR3 amps have also been rewired ...

A smorgasbord of different cables just within my pre-amp alone (never mind my amps and internal speaker cables) ... and yet, even I prefer Cardas GoldenHexlink5c as my interconnect of choice for both playback and recording. The long discontinued Cardas GHL5C is in fact the only Cardas cable I prefer, although that said I use a variety of other cables for various inputs, such as Kimber silver and DHLabs silver plated over copper cables - without cringing.

Speaker cables are relatively thick solid-core (bi-wired) Audioquest copper.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Top Bottom