• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

On the quest for my end game iem cable

kysa

Hey, ASR! So i've been looking for a lightweight iem cable for a long time... Unfortunately, most manufacturers have taken the trend of making cables heavier (weight = expensive!). I get insanely annoyed by heavy splitters and 3.5mm jacks. I think that a musicians cable will fill my needs, but I've never been able to come up with the right query for amazon/aliexpress search to find such wires, and the situation is made worse by the fact that sellers don't list the weight of the wire. Please help me out!

For reference: these cables are unbearably heavy to me:

• CVJ VS400
  • TRN RedChain
  • QKZ Q1 Max
  • Tripowin Zonie

And the stock Truthear cable is lightweight but somewhat microphonic.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What connectors are you looking to use on each end? Generally if I'm looking for a cable I search for "[Connector] to [Connector] [Length] Cable." and that works pretty well.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I have been looking for good IEM cables for a while. I would be willing to spend money, but it seems the only options are some cheap chinese cables that smell for a while after you get them and some ridiculously expensive custom made ones where you don't know if they'll be any better.

Personally the Tripowin stuff has been the best of all I tried, but I'm not over the moon about it. I would like them to be lighter and more flexible, that said I regcognize how good they are already, but still I'd wish for a cable that just disappears.

OP
K

kysa

What connectors are you looking to use on each end? Generally if I'm looking for a cable I search for "[Connector] to [Connector] [Length] Cable." and that works pretty well.
3.5/2.5mm, 2 pin.
When i search for a cable, i get the same results every time. They all share ridiculously big and heavy jacks and splitters.
1694654690065.png
1694654820085.png

I have been looking for good IEM cables for a while. I would be willing to spend money, but it seems the only options are some cheap chinese cables that smell for a while after you get them and some ridiculously expensive custom made ones where you don't know if they'll be any better.

Personally the Tripowin stuff has been the best of all I tried, but I'm not over the moon about it. I would like them to be lighter and more flexible, that said I regcognize how good they are already, but still I'd wish for a cable that just disappears.
Tripowin Zonie's splitter is 6g and the jack is 10g, while Truthear's entire freebie cable weights 16g.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I would be willing to spend money

That's what I thought when I went shopping for an IEM cable. I gave a list of requirements to the guy at the shop: non-microphonic, memory wire for the ear, right angle plugs for the jack. He said he has just the thing!

$1000.

I didn't buy anything. I should have also said "inexpensive".

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're in the UK I'll send you one of my surplus moondrop 3.5mm to 2 pin if that helps? They have horrid looking plastic terminators, no chin woggle and are very thin and light.

OP
K

kysa

How about the Drop cable? It's quite cheap, pretty light and not too stiff, if I remember correctly.
Jack is needlessly big, splitter is also somewhat big.

If you're in the UK I'll send you one of my surplus moondrop 3.5mm to 2 pin if that helps? They have horrid looking plastic terminators, no chin woggle and are very thin and light.
I live in Asia but a rich friend of mine has a logistics company and ships stuff from Europe for me for free, but his warehouse is outside of the UK...

I'd be happy if you could tell me which IEM you got that cable from. Perhaps, someone from my local craigslist would be willing to sell it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Jack is needlessly big, splitter is also somewhat big.

I live in Asia but a rich friend of mine has a logistics company and ships stuff from Europe for me for free, but his warehouse is outside of the UK...

I'd be happy if you could tell me which IEM you got that cable from. Perhaps, someone from my local craigslist would be willing to sell it.

I was thinking of the one from the original Moondrop Starfield. But its not a dirt cheap IEM and with the current crop of super budget models, not worth the asking price and the cable certainly isnt worth more than a few $$.

But its thin and light and with plastic jack housings.

Attachments

• Starfield-01.jpg
    Starfield-01.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 45
Top Bottom