• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cables to match WiiM Amp paired with Dali Blue 6006 loudspeakers

kaffe

Hiho

I'm looking to buy the WiiM Amp as soon as it's available in EU: https://www.wiimhome.com/wiimamp/overview
Going to use the amp with Dali Blue 6006 loudspeakers, specs can be found here: https://www.dali-speakers.com/media/3259/blue-series-brochure.pdf

According to the user manual for the amp the speaker out connection is via banana plugs.
Now the dumb question: what cables do I need to connect the Dali speakers to the amp? Looks like I'll have to replace the cables I've been using with my current amp, NAD C 326BEE, or at least install banana plugs in one end of the cables - is that correct or have I misunderstood something? On pictures of the amp it looks like I can't just feed wire into the sockets.

Alternatively, could you recommend cables that would fit the speakers and the WiiM amp?

Thank you!

Best regards
Mark

droid2000

Looks like those output plugs rotate so you can insert a bare wire or spade if you want. Worst case is you install banana plugs on one end of your existing cables. No problemo friendo.

OP
K

kaffe

Looks like those output plugs rotate so you can insert a bare wire or spade if you want. Worst case is you install banana plugs on one end of your existing cables. No problemo friendo.

Awesome. Looks like that to me as well, but I am not familiar with the banana plugs so I wasn’t sure. Maybe somebody can confirm whether this is possible or not?

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated.

Out of curiosity, since I have no clue how good my current cables are, what would it cost me to buy cables that match both amp and speakers while getting the most out of both but avoiding an overkill?

If I was to use my current cables, would I be better off buying banana plugs even if it turns out I can feed the wire directly into the amp?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Awesome. Looks like that to me as well, but I am not familiar with the banana plugs so I wasn’t sure. Maybe somebody can confirm whether this is possible or not?

Out of curiosity, since I have no clue how good my current cables are, what would it cost me to buy cables that match both amp and speakers while getting the most out of both but avoiding an overkill?

If I was to use my current cables, would I be better off buying banana plugs even if it turns out I can feed the wire directly into the amp?
I bet your cables are just great. But just for ease of mind - can you take a picture and or tell us how thick they are.

Reasonably thick copper wires like the previous poster linked from Amazon is all that is needed. Don’t believe anyone trying to sell you expensive cables allegedly improving the sound. They don’t. They make the other guy richer and you poorer.

droid2000

Your existing cables are fine, unless they are the size of dental floss.

If you can attach the wires directly to the amp I'd go that route since it's the simplest solution. But if you don't like the look of that, you can easily attach banana plugs. I installed ones on my cables without soldering. I highly doubt you'd hear any differences between the two methods.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
More likely the amp has the typical multi-way binding post.....but the advantage of a banana is merely convenience, handy if you make changes a lot.

OP
K

kaffe

IMG_0218.jpeg
Whoa, thanks for all the inputs and recommendations.

I have added a photo with some items to compare.

I suppose those would work then? Probably would have to bend some of the wire back to insert it properly? Or is there a better way to go about it if that’s the case?

Also, can anybody tell me why there’s an extra third cable added with no wire? Always wondered about that…

Thank you!

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
View attachment 328605Whoa, thanks for all the inputs and recommendations.

I suppose those would work then? Probably would have to bend some of the wire back to insert it properly? Or is there a better way to go about it if that’s the case?

Also, can anybody tell me why there’s an extra third cable added with no wire? Always wondered about that…

Thank you!
Ok thanks.

The cables are corroded. So cut them off a bit and expose „fresh copper“. Depending how long your cables are you also could get a bit thicker ones 2.5mm2 (yours look like 1.5mm2) are well on the safe side and look at Amazon, they don’t have to be expensive.

OP
K

kaffe

Ok thanks.

The cables are corroded. So cut them off a bit and expose „fresh copper“. Depending how long your cables are you also could get a bit thicker ones 2.5mm2 (yours look like 1.5mm2) are well on the safe side and look at Amazon, they don’t have to be expensive.
Now I’m considering buying new thicker ones, but those JustJones linked to have banana plugs in each end. Is it possible to buy a pair with banana plugs installed in one end, the other just cable wire I can insert into my Dali Blue 6006 speakers?

Thanks again!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now I’m considering buying new thicker ones, but those JustJones linked to have banana plugs in each end. Is it possible to buy a pair with banana plugs installed in one end, the other just cable wire I can insert into my Dali Blue 6006 speakers?

Thanks again!
Just buy the length of speaker wire you need (i.e. the correct gauge for your application) and install your own banana plug if you want....Sewell Silverbacks (also sold under several other brand names) are my choice. This way you can customize length rather than buy only in pre-determined lengths, too.

ps Or just buy the speaker cables with both bananas and cut one off....

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor

Thanks again!
I don’t know. I’d go to Amazon and see.

Nordling

View attachment 328605Whoa, thanks for all the inputs and recommendations.

Thank you!
Hello Kaffe, I just came across this thread. Your speaker wires say "11 AWG". That means they are 4.15 mm2 and that is plenty for almost any application.
Did you purchase the WIIM Amp? How did you connect your speaker wire?

OP
K

kaffe

Hello Kaffe, I just came across this thread. Your speaker wires say "11 AWG". That means they are 4.15 mm2 and that is plenty for almost any application.
Did you purchase the WIIM Amp? How did you connect your speaker wire?
I bought new speaker wire, whoops. At least I wanted another color than the gray/white combo seen on the picture :facepalm:
I purchased the WiiM Amp, but ended up returning it a couple of days after. High pitch sounds were emanating from the amplifier itself and it was warm to the touch in standby mode. The sound could be heard from my couch 3-4 meters away, so it was definitely an annoyance.

Top Bottom