• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I did measure a difference between my new Kimber 12TC and AudioQuest 14/4

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The low frequencies make me wonder about noise from outside your room. In one band they add to room modes and in another partly cancel them out. Run at a different time of day.

Maybe do a measure at a higher level. Say 10 db higher, assuming that doesn't stress your gear. This would reduce the influence of noise and result in a reduced difference if external noise is the cause of this.

Another check would be to measure the speaker terminals with an ADC (you'll need to step down the voltage) which I would expect to be pretty much identical with either cable.
Good point.

And another thing to note - assuming OP is in USA or other 60Hz country, the peak variation is at 3rd harmonic of mains frequency. Whats the bet there is some mains hum or other mains related vibration somewhere nearby.

OP
D

DannyBukem

Hi Guys... REW files attached.

As i say.... I am a major sceptic about cables... I have regular debates with my mate who spent £2000 on Chord Sarin cables, when we tested them at his house, there was a difference in volume vs standard chord but i was convinced it was placebo!

Happy to re-run tests the other way, i did Kimber first then AQ, so maybe do AQ then Kimber next time?

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Happy to re-run tests the other way, i did Kimber first then AQ, so maybe do AQ then Kimber next time?
That's my thinking, simply because (unless something is destroyed or chemically changed) tests should be reversible.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Sorry the files were 19MB: so put them on my OneDrive:
Now we're talking and seems that things are really interesting:
(I choose the 2 directly comparable)

VS.PNG

No smoothing

VS2.PNG

Distances are spot on...

REALLY strange stuff...

OP
D

DannyBukem

I've just taken readings again... Obvs my Mic probably isnt in the exact same position as it was yesterday... I took AQ readings first and Kimber second:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Now we're talking and seems that things are really interesting:
(I choose the 2 directly comparable)

View attachment 265966

No smoothing

View attachment 265967

Distances are spot on...

REALLY strange stuff...
Good work. Looks very much like some harmonics of 60 hz noise to me. A fan or refrigerator or AC unit outside or something like that.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Btw... the latest readings i increased the volume on the AVR by 5db so this was -25db, the first readings were -30db.
Can't find anything directly comparable in the second run,are sure you didn't move anything by accident?
Differences are even bigger but distances are off.

OP
D

DannyBukem

The only realistic differences are having it louder by +5db. The mic was put in the same location, middle seat, but this may be off by around 10cm radius from where it was yesterday.

Sokel

Master Contributor
The only realistic differences are having it louder by +5db. The mic was put in the same location, middle seat, but this may be off by around 10cm radius from where it was yesterday.
No,by "off" I mean between the same run of measurements,cause the reflections don't superimpose each other as in the first run.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
These are different, but at different frequencies and look like a position problem at frequencies above 1 khz.

Each run of each brand match very well, but the AQ and Kimber are all over the place above 200 hz relative to each other.

I did use 1/12th smoothing to make it easier to see.

1676889793473.png

OP
D

DannyBukem

Thats what i see, surely if it was a measurement issue, the actual runs of the same cable would differ? but they dont.... the same cable seem fairly consistent.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Thats what i see, surely if it was a measurement issue, the actual runs of the same cable would differ? but they dont.... the same cable seem fairly consistent.
Are you sure that you connected both with the right phase?

wwenze

Major Contributor
Well, if you did 5 runs of one cable, then touch something, then do 5 runs of another cable, then each group of 5 runs will have little difference amongst themselves. It's alternating between the cables that removes random variations.

Especially when those look like room modes and one simply has a higher Q so where people stand in the room matters...

In any case, if you find a diff, send the cables to some audio magazine or something and maybe earn a sponsorship.

jensgk

Forum Donor
When you measure the same cable, do you remove it from the speaker at and put it back on?

jensgk

Forum Donor
Also, the right test procedure would be something like:
1. attach cable 1, and measure it 5 times.
2. attach cable 2, and measure it 5 times.
3. attach cable 1, and measure it 5 times.
4. attach cable 2, and measure it 5 times.
5. attach cable 1, and measure it 5 times.
6. attach cable 2, and measure it 5 times.
7. attach cable 1, and measure it 5 times.
8. attach cable 2, and measure it 5 times.
9. attach cable 1, and measure it 5 times.
10. attach cable 2, and measure it 5 times.
19. attach cable 1, and measure it 5 times.
20. attach cable 2, and measure it 5 times.

Then calculate the mean and standard deviation of all measurement points and plot both the means curves, and means+2.3*std.dev and means-2.3*std.dev curves, and see if they overlap

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've done things like this and gotten much better results. The key thing is a steady microphone mount that you do not move, and that you do not move the speaker or speakers. BTW, if you are using two speakers don't. Just use one. You mentioned putting it on a middle seat, that is not going to give good results. A table, a microphone stand or a camera tripod would work. The stands or tripods need to be on the floor. The small Umik tripod will work on a sturdy table top.

Top Bottom