• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Nilai500DIY Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 76 19.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 288 75.2%

• Total voters

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I definitely recommend an OLED but I don't think you need to be buying a spare TV!
Someone is giving me a 2 year old 48" Samsung QLED that doesn't have probably more than 40 hours on it.
They still like their Panasonic PLASMA better.
So, it's free. If I use it enough, I'll get an OLED a year after.
In a home that we have overseas, there is a 75" something or another that my with put in. I haven' been to there since 2007 (It's a family place)
that members of our extended family use (my wife's side). I have only been their once, in 2007.
I have a "region free" oPPo 205 UDP in my system that I use for music disks only.
In my collection, of media, I have 60 or 70 Blue-Ray's, 4K's & DVD's (And one 8K disk), so I will use it, running the sound into the stereo.
Most of my "silver disks" are Blue-Ray and are of ne concert or another.
I will not likely be hooking the TV up to a cable or other streaming system (maybe to over the air TV).

Last edited:

Mario Soldier

Which is why you buy extra ones, so you can have parts.
Of course you can just but a newer, better product.
It is my personal policy that, if I buy something and really like it, to buy a second one.
Hence, I run 3 NAD 2200 amps in my system, I have three extra ones that are waiting for something to happen to one of the three in use.
Around every 5 years, I send them out for a checkup (even if everything seems to be working fine).
And put the three that are not being used in their place.
If something happens to one of them while the others are out for a checkup, I can reconfigure the system to operate on 2 NAD 2200's.
There is nothing in my system that I do not have a replacement on hand for.
I haven't had a TV in my system since 2007. Now I am contemplating getting a 48" one during the first quarter of next year.
If I like it, I will get a second one in 2025.

Yes i see this the same, i have 3 NC400 Monos (build myself) but at the moment i use only one. Couse if one fails i have parts to repair one of the two.

But i will replace them against Purifi MOnos.

It is a pitty there is no chance to connect the Nilai Modules to the SMPS1200 , this was as nice option for the NC400.

And also you cant use the new PSU500 for the NC400 Module.

At the moment the NC400 gets cheaper but eventually there will come an day they get expensive, THe SMPS1200 Connector for the NC400 Will also not more produced.

I have also many spare amps lying arround (three Pascal Spro 2 Amps for example), it is also the reason i run mostly monos with an 7.3.6 System and not an big 12 channel Amp etc.

When the 12 channel Amp fails whole System fails.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When the 12 channel Amp fails whole System fails.
I have just moved out of my home with a lot of space into one that is quite small but in a better location for my needs at the moment.
I do foresee myself possibly building some new class D amps in the next few years to replace the great 95 SINAD through the LAB inputs NAD 2200 Class G amps.
As long as I am in this house, I do not foresee more than a 2.2 system. If, at some time in the future, I move back into the other home, the living room is literally half the size of this 2 bedroom 1 bathroom house that I am currently in. A 7.2/3/4 system would not be out of the question.
But, I have too many other money sucking hobbies to contemplate which other hobbies that I would have to pull money from to finance that dream of a music/theatre.
One of my & my wife's hobbies is traveling to our homes in the climates we like. (Those climates would be places were homes do not have a need for having heaters & we have already bought and paid for homes in those locations.
I will retire in January & be overseeing leasing out (right now we have one leased out on a three year leas in Guam) of some of our homes & building one more. Four places to lease & 2 to be our families homes.

Impossible

These came, nilai 500w mono. I love them.
I have tried them with cheap kef ls50 and very expensive wisdom audio planar magnetic line source and they are probably the best amp's I've heard.

20230807_125325.jpg

Rob Fens

These came, nilai 500w mono. I love them.
I have tried them with cheap kef ls50 and very expensive wisdom audio planar magnetic line source and they are probably the best amp's I've heard.

View attachment 306115
I agree with you, although i have the stereo version i expect they have the same audio quality.
I have 55 years of hifi experience and this is the first amp in my setup that i love listening to for more than 2-3 hours.
Before i got tired or bored when listening to my setup with other amps, but with the Nilai i listen until i find out its time to go to bed.
In this forum most members do not like words like better sound, but i guess i understand you and all i can say it just sounds right to me.

Best regards,
Rob.

sonci99

What preamps are you using with these amplifiers and why there are not any with integrated volume control?

rost21A

What preamps are you using with these amplifiers and why there are not any with integrated volume control?
I don't use a preamp.
My Volumio streamer is connected directly to the NC400 and the volume is controlled in Volumio.
This works fantastic!

HoweSound

I have used my stereo amp directly connected to Eversolo DMP A6 and through a Schiit Freya S. Both sound superb set to medium gain on the Nilai. No discernable difference to my ears.

Impossible

The tonality is just wonderful, very smooth highs. Lots of power so when you turn the volume up things don't start to change.

They happily distroy 300w Macintosh.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
They happily distroy 300w Macintosh.
I'll be stunned if there's any actual audible difference. The Nilai will be smaller, cooler, and not as "glam" looking.

They're terrific power delivery blocks of gain and super impressive on the bench, but are as neutral as all other good amplifiers.

Reddoc

The tonality is just wonderful, very smooth highs. Lots of power so when you turn the volume up things don't start to change.
They happily destroy 300w Macintosh.
I agree, they sound fabulous- detailed, smooth, no background hash / noise. So easy to hear individual people and instruments, very enjoyable.
I think they sound different from my other ultra-low-distortion amps, but setting up the "level-matched", blind comparison would be painful so I just listen and enjoy. Comparison is irrelevant now that I own them.

sonci99

Is it possible to buy a plug and play amplifier with Nilai500 kits? Some seller with worldwide shipping.
Sorry if this has been mentioned already in this thread.

HoweSound

Do you mean like KJF Audio, who will build the Hypex DIY kit for you for £60, or like Audiophonics, who put the Nilai components in their own case?

Alex
Or Deer Creek Audio?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Is there a comparable graph to the Nilai?
Yes,the one from the first page from this thread,Amir's measurement:

1692599405995.png

(I don't know the different gains of Nilai,Mcintosh has 22.9db in 8 Ohm so compare with the closest one)

Edit:Amir presents the gain,so it's the medium gain of 22db on Nilai's side)

Last edited:
Top Bottom