• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Nilai500DIY Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 74 21.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 259 73.8%

• Total voters

voodooless

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a comparable graph to the Nilai?
There you go:

1692601943336.png

Yellow is the MC462. Very impressive as well, although about 10x the price ;)

Sokel

Major Contributor
There you go:

View attachment 306984
Yellow is the MC462. Very impressive as well, although about 10x the price ;)
To be fair MC 462 also has a little more than double of Nilai's power before the knee from the 8 Ohm tap according to JA's measurement.
And since we're talking power amps power is one of the most significant measurements.
Still expensive but it delivers.

8o.PNG

voodooless

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To be fair MC 462 also has a little more than double of Nilai's power before the knee from the 8 Ohm tap according to JA's measurement.
And since we're talking power amps power is one of the most significant measurements.
Still expensive but it delivers.

View attachment 306985
It it's power that you're after, get this:

No, not as low distortion, but at 10x lower cost than the MC, it is still a good deal if you need the Watts. And what would really need north of 500W, other than a subwoofer, where amplifier distortion is largely irrelevant anyway?

Sokel

Major Contributor

No, not as low distortion, but at 10x lower cost than the MC, it is still a good deal if you need the Watts. And what would really need north of 500W, other than a subwoofer, where amplifier distortion is largely irrelevant anyway?
:cool:
I already have this for the lows and a 300a2 hooked into it for my mid-highs (my speakers are hybrid).
4 channels for under a grand (have made them myself)

voodooless

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
:cool:
I already have this for the lows and a 300a2 hooked into it for my mid-highs (my speakers are hybrid).
4 channels for under a grand (have made them myself)
Well, at least now your avatar icon makes sense :eek:;)

Sokel

Major Contributor
Well, at least now your avatar icon makes sense :eek:;)
The best turning point is going from audible to feelable specially from mid-bass, (with lows is easy with subs which I don't use) :)

Seriously now,if friends here have a room like mine (80 m² ) to fill listening to classical,there's no substitute to big speakers and ample power.

AkodoGilador

Or get an NCx500?

Alex

AkodoGilador

The 1200AS2 will still do 500W more into R4 and 250W more into R8... so like double ;) Not bad for a € 400 module.
Sure, but - as you pointed out - with more distortion. Amps with NCx500 modules can match the MC464's power and distortion, and while they can't match the ICEpower for price, they're still substantially cheaper than the MC464.

Alex

voodooless

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, but - as you pointed out - with more distortion. Amps with NCx500 modules can match the MC464's power and distortion, and while they can't match the ICEpower for price, they're still substantially cheaper than the MC464.
Sure, it's whatever boat you'll need to float :cool:. It's great for us consumers to have so much choice of excellent products for a fair price.

Impossible

For all high sensitivity, near field or active crossover speakers the nilai is the obvious choice. Bi-amp vs the Macintosh I'd take the nilai all day.

Sokel

Major Contributor

Alex
I would advice for people to wait.
If new icePower conductor is simiral price and power as 300a2 the published specs are exceptional even at high freqs.
So,you get a 1200as2 for like 400 euro,a conductor for under 200 (if it's similar,again) and you have ample power with low distortion at lows (as the modified 1200as2 in the peachtree amp500 Amir measured) and even lower at mid highs.
Best of both worlds.

voodooless

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
a conductor for under 200 (if it's similar,again)
I would not count on it. The PCB shown is only an amp, without the power supply as most of the other ICE modules have. I bet it will cost quite a bit more than 200 for a complete amp. I hope the final version will be complete modules. It is just much simpler and safer to implement and performance will me much more predictable.

Sokel

Major Contributor
I would not count on it. The PCB shown is only an amp, without the power supply as most of the other ICE modules have. I bet it will cost quite a bit more than 200 for a complete amp. I hope the final version will be complete modules. It is just much simpler and safer to implement and performance will me much more predictable.
So is 300a2 which I hooked directly on 1200as2 as it has an aux voltage output (62-0-62 [yes,I run it a little hot :cool: ] plus the auxiliary ones) exactly for this purpose.
That's why I said 4 channels under a grand,all included if you know how to make it (hint,is dead easy,they even include all connectors needed,even for control or indicators like clipping,amp on,stand by,voltage and ampere analog meters,etc.).

cavedriver

Came across this curious piece of adspeak about the Nilai DIY kits on the VTV website. Can anyone tell me where they think the Nilai is ten times better than ncore? I mean, Hypex's own NC500x solutions assembled in housings cost the same as the Nilai DIY kit and appear to measure just as well per Amir's testing, but Hypex's advertising only says that NCOREx outperforms NCORE by 2x, not 10x:

"

The Nilai500DIY is the long-awaited successor to the acclaimed NC400. Its polished shiny exterior is true reflection of what is to be found inside. The engine room houses a brand new control-loop topology that really boosts performance to the next level. It outperforms Ncore by not less than 10 times!​

"

Jero

I have only 1 question about the Nilai500. That 10 and 15kHz bump in the graph bothers me really. Is this audible? like on very revealing speakers as ESL or Planar midrange?

voodooless

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have only 1 question about the Nilai500. That 10 and 15kHz bump in the graph bothers me really. Is this audible? like on very revealing speakers as ESL or Planar midrange?
10 kHz is not midrange territory anymore. To hear any distortion products of that and higher, you'd need hearing beyond 20 kHz ;)

And even then, it's like better than 75 and 92 SINAD at respectable levels. And those levels are rarely reached with normal music: it's like 30 to 40 dB down from the bass level already. So power-wise, that frequency band is like 1000 to 10000 times lower in power already on average vs bass frequencies.

Sokel

Major Contributor
10 kHz is not midrange territory anymore. To hear any distortion products of that and higher, you'd need hearing beyond 20 kHz ;)
The rise can very well be noise and not distortion,so other stuff come at play.
(I try hard with reps to see which is which but they don't seem too eager to answer while very active otherwise)

voodooless

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The rise can very well be noise and not distortion,so other stuff come at play.
(I try hard with reps to see which is which but they don't seem too eager to answer while very active otherwise)
True, but that would mean there is noise modulation at play here. Is that something that was ever looked at?

Top Bottom