• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Nilai500DIY Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 75 19.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 288 75.4%

• Total voters

jmillar

Regarding freq cutoff: at the SOURCE the filters in most dacs "slam the door" pretty effectively. There will be nothing to amplify beyond 22-24 kHz. If you are worried about the amplifier itself creating ultrasonics this doesn't seem to be of audible concern. Some tweeters (not so many) can reach 30 kHz or more. In that case THD and IM could occur in theory at that end of the scale, but is this an issue?

Rob Fens

Received mine today, at the moment MUSIC is flowing into my room and it feels like a warm comfortable bath, it is if i listen to elektrostats.
I was happy with my Ucd's 400, but i feel this is a different world, to me it is the next level.

akosinskiy

Received mine today, at the moment MUSIC is flowing into my room and it feels like a warm comfortable bath, it is if i listen to elektrostats.
I was happy with my Ucd's 400, but i feel this is a different world, to me it is the next level.
What's your speakers/preamp if you don't mind me asking?

Rob Fens

Hi Akosinskiy,

The source is a modded (extra filter caps in ps lines to boards) Dell PC with Foobar 2000, connect to DAC with usb. PC with mouse keyboard and monitor.
There is no preamp.
I use the Wadia d121 Dac's volume control in stead of preamp, i only use one source, the DAC uses external linear psu.
Loudspeakers are DIY, units bass and mid are HDA from Audax:
Bass 200mm bass 2 * per side in separate bassbox, (with Geschlossen Hoch Pass), it containes filter for bass.
On top separate enclosure made from laminated wood/ rubber, with 130mm mid 2*, it contains filter for mid and tw.
In this top enclosure there is also a B&G tweeter in between the mids.
The mids are too far apart to call it d'Apolito, it is MTM.

Best regards,
Rob.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The source is a modded (extra filter caps in ps lines to boards) Dell PC
Adding caps (unless they are small RF filter ones) to switchmode power supplies is a bit iffy unless you know what you are doing (and the design of the PC).

Rob Fens

Julf,

Thanks for your advice, unfortunately i don't know the rules, so i was carefull and only used small ones.
The goal was not to improve storage capacity, but to short HF disturbances and probably i did not even follow the rules.
But i am surprised with what can be achieved with a simple PC, i feel it sounds way better than the TEAC VRDS i once owned (brrr).

Best regards,
Rob.

Reactions: EJ3

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your advice, unfortunately i don't know the rules, so i was carefull and only used small ones.
The goal was not to improve storage capacity, but to short HF disturbances
That should be OK (but unnecessary).

Reactions: EJ3

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Received mine today…ordered a few months ago…no damage of inside box…I inspected one of the amps of the stereo kit…everything seems ok…finding focus and spirit to start assembly, but I need to clear to surgical standards my work table first. Glad to see Rubycon caps…

Attachments

• IMG_4806.jpeg
    IMG_4806.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_4804.jpeg
    IMG_4804.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_4803.jpeg
    IMG_4803.jpeg
    341.6 KB · Views: 171

Rob Fens

Andrea T,
Congratulations, i have been enjoying the amp for a week now and i could not be more happy.
But pay attention, the manual does not show that you have to break a smal board (combined EL-5 and EL-6) into 2 pieces EL-6 for the rearpanel and EL-5 for the frontlid.
When building i discovered EL-5 was missing and that EL-6 which i allready mounted was bigger than expected, i had a hunch they were supplied as one part but had no guts to break it. I called Hypex and within 1 minute i got the answer. I could easily separate them by carefully breaking the seam. The rest was straightforward. Wish you a lot of succes.
Have a good look about cable routing, the assembly picture on page 7 shows it in detail, check before closing the lid. Best regards,
Rob.

Hasse B

It would be interesting to get an audio review from any of you who bought Hypex Nilai.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You seem to know a lot about Hypex Nilai so maybe you can tell us about your experiences?
What do you want to know? The electrical characteristics are all in the specs and measurements, the mechanical stuff and ease of connection and attachment are pretty much what you would expect from a modern circuit board.

Hasse B

What do you want to know? The electrical characteristics are all in the specs and measurements, the mechanical stuff and ease of connection and attachment are pretty much what you would expect from a modern circuit board.
I want to know how satisfied you are with the sound, perhaps in comparison to some other amplifier. You probably have some experiences that you can share

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to know how satisfied you are with the sound, perhaps in comparison to some other amplifier. You probably have some experiences that you can share
They are audibly transparent, so sound just like other audibly transparent amps. Of course I imagine all sorts of differences when I listen to them sighted, but the differences disappear when I set up a double blind test.

Hasse B

They are audibly transparent, so sound just like other audibly transparent amps. Of course I imagine all sorts of differences when I listen to them sighted, but the differences disappear when I set up a double blind test.
Did you build it yourself or buy a pre-built one?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you build it yourself or buy a pre-built one?
Not sure I would call attaching the connections and a few screws qualifies as "building". When I tested, I hadn't even put the modules in an enclosure yet, they were just loose on my workshop desk.

Hasse B

Not sure I would call attaching the connections and a few screws qualifies as "building". When I tested, I hadn't even put the modules in an enclosure yet, they were just loose on my workshop desk.
How long have you had your Hypex Nilai?

Top Bottom