• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex DIY Preamplifier Kit Review

Rate this preamplifier and headphone amp:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 45 20.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 86 38.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 89 39.9%

• Total voters

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Gremlins

Amir, i don't understand your listening test and conclusion for this preamp

You test the output section for headphone, fine

But why don't you test and tell us how this preamp performs in between your RME and an amp? I mean sonically

lets think the chain:
- RME to amp to speakers
- RME to Hypex preamp to amp to speakers

What is then the benefit of the preamp sonically?
Does this preamp brings more gain, better soundstage, a different listening experience?

Thanks

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not all. Two of the miniDSP's under discussion are digital out only.
The models mentioned above are SHD and Flex; both have analogue outputs.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

But why don't you test and tell us how this preamp performs in between your RME and an amp? I mean sonically

lets think the chain:
- RME to amp to speakers

Does this preamp brings more gain, better soundstage, a different listening experience?

Thanks
If it adds a level of distortion down around -140 db and it does not alter the frequency response at all, and it does not add any noise that could possibly be audible, then I fail to see how it could change the sound fed into it. Amir didn't say about the gain level, but apparently it has up to 13 db gain. So gain might raise noise of the input that much, but if you aren't using gain from the RME that is not a problem and even raising the RME noise 13 db it will still be quite low.

PeteL

Major Contributor

lets think the chain:
- RME to amp to speakers

Thanks
There is no benefits or drawbacks sonically since it's proven audibly transparent

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The models mentioned above are SHD and Flex; both have analogue outputs.
Negative, two of the miniDSP SHD and Flex models that can handle a 2.x system are indeed digital out only (no analogue out whatsoever). SHD Studio and Flex Digital.
Let's not have another discussion where it is said I need new glasses lol.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Negative, two of the miniDSP SHD and Flex models that can handle a 2.x system are indeed digital out only (no analogue out whatsoever). SHD Studio and Flex Digital.
Let's not have another discussion where it is said I need new glasses lol.
Standard SHD has an analogue output version, almost a third of the price, and has a DSP.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This pre amp will also suitable as a head unit for the Fusion plate amps, had something to do with the preconception of this nice little piece of gear. This idea was mine (Fusion). Those insert connectors are for the EQ board.
What’s the “fusion” thing supposed to do ?

I’m curious about the options and how it will work ? is the EQ analog or digital , what kind of inputs/outputs ? Will it work in conjunction with the DAC and streamer in keep signal processing digital until it’s going to the DAC .

I do like the product :) we wait until Q4 then and see what the option boards costs and what functions to expect ?
It needs more features to feel complete.

I do like the relay and resistor ladder volume control? ( if I understood correctly)

PeteL

Major Contributor
The more I read the more I get confused because I see no practical use for this pre amp. Even the Schitt Freya S is a much better choice than this and it cost half.
The Freya S is Indeed the right preamp to get, not sure why the "even" tough. That's to be expected, Hypex never had been affordable, It's only the number of builders around that compete so hard at each other that they sell direct at almost no margin that make it look that way. Even the Topping Pre90 when you need the extra inputs is considerably more expensive than the Freya S.

FrankW

Maybe Amir could do a parody of those Youtube hallucinator-"Reviewers" and say its a giant killer, but doesn't quite have the soundstage depth of a 10x the price preamp.
Or something equally moronic that would get 100+ agreement comments.

PeteL

Major Contributor
The reason why I need a preamp is that in my main system I have 5 different sound sources with analog outputs. But - the preamp with 1 input? To me, there is no use.
Me too, but I count 3 stereo inputs. yes it's not many, I think this may start to make more sense when the add on modules get released but Indeed as it it's a lukewarm offer.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...If I have to build it, expect I get some credit for my assembly effort!... :)
Thank you, @Rick Sykora,
It truly looks to be am 'assembly' effort rather than a DIY project, anyways!

I am guessing a one person "assembly-line" can probably put these parts together in about 12 minutes per unit (or 5/hour) w/o any robotics or expensive gear.
Even including overhead, and some final QA before packaging, effort would probably add no more than 4% increase in price.:confused:

PeteL

Major Contributor
Out of curiosity. Is Hypex DIY balanced Pre amplifiera a class D based pre amp? I thought most pre amps were class A based?

If it is class D topology, why that for a pre amp?

Edit:
But okay, it says DIY/CLASS D on it, so then it's probably a class D based pre amp.
It's a valid question, they do not state that directly and DIYClassD is the brand. It could also be just that, but let's assume it is since it has a switching power supply, among other cues. Now we may still ask. Why? I got nothing against class D, I have Hypex amps myself, but without need for current delivery and by extension power, doesn't it just become a "because I can" type of audio development? Does it really add something to the table? Sure it measures very good, but others do too, and it's not because it comes cheaper, it does not. So yes, why?

Ajax

Forum Donor
Thanks for the review Amir,

If most of us stream some, or all of our music, why not include one?. I would expect the additional cost to be minimal based on the Chrome-cast audio, which I think was originally only $US30. Obviously any addition would need to be bit-perfect.

Also my experience is that DSP greatly enhances the listening experience, by providing low and high pass filters and dealing with room correction, so why not include? As Amir constantly reminds us with his use of EQ, the more help we can get via DSP the greater will be our enjoyment.

I think Hypex has been a revelation with their power amp modules and I have two of their amps, however, I feel manufacturers are not capitalising on digital's potential for a better audio experience as we have little or no control over the most important parts of listening to music, the actual recording and the room in which we listen to that recording.

In old analogue systems "all in ones" were frowned upon by audiophiles, however, I can see no reason in the digital world why pre amps are sold without DACs, multiple inputs, and DSP.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is NOT a class D preamp folks. It is just the name of their DIY division. I guess they thought they would only sell class D amps forever. :)

AlexHRider

Well the device in question is analog out only, with your wish that one output be for mains monoblocks, and output two be for active sub. So no way (or need) to use an external DAC there either.
Talking about my configuration, source PC to RME ADI 2 DAC FS to NC400 monoblocks, to add an active sub im forced to use high level input or split XLR out of the RME, because it's RCA output is lower and to match you should turn way up the sub amp.. tried with a passive sub driven by a Crown XLS 1502.
Having a preamp with multiple XLR out with such great specs (except for the aforementioned OCTO) is good imho..
As of the MiniDSP they have not the RME specs level.
I admit that this Hypex preamp is quite pricey though, hope for future crossover add-ons

Top Bottom