• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex DIY Preamplifier Kit Review

Rate this preamplifier and headphone amp:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 45 20.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 86 38.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 89 39.9%

• Total voters

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Output one to Hypex/Purifi monoblocks and output 2 to active subwoofer.. that Is something i was searching for years
Problem with that is unit has no digital crossover, DAC, or DSP and it only accepts two analog channels (unless the RCA inputs allow 4 channel input), so you can't even use the output of a 4 channel dac like a miniDSP Flex as its input. (And why would you need to when the Flex outputs 4Vrms over 4 channels with DAC, Dirac and Xover). So all you could do is output a full range signal to a sub which will do a low pass while your mains will run full range with no high pass.

Given the limited inputs, lack of DSP, DAC and Crossover, I see no use case as a modern digital preamp, and given the power limitation, a less than universal case for a headphone amp. Me, I'd far rather have an A90D plus a Flex for roughly the same price.

I think this product just misses the mark with its feature set, given how the bar has been raised on this kind of offering in the last couple of years. And if they're planning on adding these feature sets in the future, maybe they should have held off until they had a finished product here.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

JktHifi

How is the frequency response of RCA in/XLR out? Will it be the same as XLR in/out?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Assuming one would add the DAC card later and use digital inputs, the single XLR input would be free for another source. Still strange but OK if that means both outputs can have different ranges (high pass, low pass). A valid trade off in my opinion.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
with the expected time of arrival for the add-ons, i wonder if it's going to be Pi+hat based?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Is it using DSP volume control?

So analogue input is digitized?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

FrankW

I had to read the manual to confirm that there are two XLR outputs but only one input! Seems backward to me. What is the use for dual set of XLR outputs?
Is it just me or are there no markings/text on rear stating Inputs and Outputs? If I had to guess, the dual XLR out could be for active mains and active subs, without having to Y or loop through. Just a guess tho..
And is that a "Class D" logo/text on front? OMG, I just see pavlov audiophiles freaking out now about the "sound" of a "Class D" preamp

*EDIT - Never mind, I just noticed the miniscule arrows at bottom!

raindance

Major Contributor
Out of curiosity. Is Hypex DIY balanced Pre amplifiera a class D based pre amp? I thought most pre amps were class A based?

If it is class D topology, why that for a pre amp?

Edit:
But okay, it says DIY/CLASS D on it, so then it's probably a class D based pre amp.
Why would it be Class D? That's for driving high power to speakers. Completely unnecessary in a preamp. It's surely just a name.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
1250 euros of volume control? No thank you.
Any decent dac offers a balanced 4V output preamp option, why would I cram this in between? It doesn't give me the possibility to switch from different sources, it doesn't have an integrated dsp, it doesn't have a sub output, it doesn't even have the possibility to set a high pass and low pass filter for the two xlr outputs, it doesn't even have an internal dac. What is it supposed to do for me?
"Not terrible" rating for technical execution, but for me, that's NO

TheWalkman

1250 euros of volume control? No thank you.
Any decent dac offers a balanced 4V output preamp option, why would I cram this in between? It doesn't give me the possibility to switch from different sources, it doesn't have an integrated dsp, it doesn't have a sub output, it doesn't even have the possibility to set a high pass and low pass filter for the two xlr outputs, it doesn't even have an internal dac. What is it supposed to do for me?
"Not terrible" rating for technical execution, but for me, that's NO

Because it looks cool and matches your DIY amp?

I’m with you Talisman: I can’t see dropping $1300 +/- for this either.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would say that they should have waited and released the preamp with the digital boards already finished, as the preamp alone seems incomplete until the digital boards come later.

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Great review! Limited in functionality as it has too few inputs (and no digitals one). Future add-ons in the empty space might correct this, with increase in price. There are more competitive offers from the market, like the Okto DAC (functionally, a digital preamp) and the Toppings that measure as well or better.

Last edited:

raindance

Major Contributor
They missed an opportunity by not including some form of tone controls. How about this for an idea: normal bass and treble controls, but relabeled as "warmth" and "brightness"... because people love a good gimmick.

NicolasGr

A preamp with only one (XLR) Input???

You got to be kidding (April fools is over or did Amir post this before midnight local time).

No thanks, not even for free, regardless how it measures.

I mean the whole point of preamps is pretty much to bring various sources together and switch between them. In this case I just connect the DAC to the power amp and be done with.
Wouldn't connecting a DAC directly to a power amp risk frying your speakers if there's a bug in the DAC firmware that randomly resets/ changes its output volume? See horror story linked below.
Not trying to save this particular product, just asking as a newbie.

Top Bottom