• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How NOT to set up speakers and room treatment ( Goldensound)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dweeeeb2

I just watched another video by Cameron where they are talking about headphones and how they do NOT do soundstage anywhere near what speakers do. Im thinking room reflections are what his headphones are missing.

Reactions: VQR

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
What kind of phase disparity is involved in those delays across the hearing spectrum with a room of such dimensions? Maybe a proper acoustician would know? Can this be calculated manually with resolve or is this super computer stuff?
Direct sound only, composite sound, which? Measuring is how to do this. Even a wall at 'n' feet isn't necessarily "that far away" if it resonates, because that effectively changes its distance.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just watched another video by Cameron where they are talking about headphones and how they do NOT do soundstage anywhere near what speakers do. Im thinking room reflections are what his headphones are missing.
...and a severe phase relationship. It must be horrible with some rooms.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Direct sound only, composite sound, which? Measuring is how to do this. Even a wall at 'n' feet isn't necessarily "that far away" if it resonates, because that effectively changes its distance.
I suppose you are bang on that there are so many instantaneous values that it is math heavy? To change the instantaneous distance value would require severe deformation of a reflective or absorptive surface. A reactive surface.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I suppose you are bang on that there are so many instantaneous values that it is math heavy? To change the instantaneous distance value would require severe deformation of a reflective or absorptive surface. A reactive surface.

No, it doesn't have to move very far, all it has to do is shift the phase of the reflection, and it can be up to half wavelength in effect.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, it doesn't have to move very far, all it has to do is shift the phase of the reflection, and it can be up to half wavelength in effect.
I'm thinking a half wavelength is the severest situation respective of it's duration and whether leading or lagging the reference/standard? Do you work with inches or millimeters or both?

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I'm thinking a half wavelength is the severest situation respective of it's duration and whether leading or lagging the reference/standard? Do you work with inches or millimeters or both?
Doesn't matter. The wall doesn't move that far, if it's resonant, it stores energy and returns it later. Necessarily.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't matter. The wall doesn't move that far, if it's resonant, it stores energy and returns it later. Necessarily.
How do you equate this resonance and the reflective materials' delay of resonance stuff with PEQing a room, standing waves and stuff like that? I mean to say it must get pretty interesting from one's mind's eye at times. How deep is the rabbit hole?

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
How do you equate this resonance and the reflective materials' delay of resonance stuff with PEQing a room, standing waves and stuff like that? I mean to say it must get pretty interesting from one's mind's eye at times. How deep is the rabbit hole?
I prefer to measure.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I prefer to measure.
You have the gear to make such measurements? Like a Klippel & and other test and measurement gear? How deep does that reach? I'm not really up to speed on what your specialization or general specialty is. I saw you commenting about digital theory and it's intricacies. I'm not that deep into digital theory like you but I dig it. It's interesting.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
You have the gear to make such measurements? Like a Klippel & and other test and measurement gear? How deep does that reach? I'm not really up to speed on what your specialization or general specialty is. I saw you commenting about digital theory and it's intricacies. I'm not that deep into digital theory like you but I dig it. It's interesting.

Hmm. Where is that talk?

https://www.aes-media.org/sections/pnw/pnwrecaps/2012/jj_jan/ is probably the only handy thing that would explain how I measure.

There are a couple of papers in the AES as well, but you'd need to be able to access them, which could be hard. I can get the links, but they may or may not help.

Needless to say that's old work, but that's what I'm limited to saying at the minute, although my more recent work is in analyzing the perceptual cues in a space and then synthesizing them, there is overlap I can't go into.

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
About the 'dismal mean' thing? Just this from experience: audio forums are, on average, full of cranks and what my friends across the water call 'arseholes'.

The rest of it seems pretty clear to me.
Its seems to be cleared up now indeed..

NIN

I had a listen to a system last night that reminded me of this thread. The room was 4m x 5m (13ft x 16ft), with two floorstanders and had extensive room treatment. I was told that before the treatment went in, the RT60 averaged around 700ms. After treatment, it is now about 250ms > 150Hz. Speakers were Sonus Faber Amati Tradition, $40k per pair.

Firstly, the soundstage was really narrow, confined between the two speakers which were not placed very far apart. I think that killing the first reflection point was responsible for this. However, the phantom image was really precise.

This was the first time I have listened to an over-treated room where I knew what the RT60 was. With other systems in over-treated rooms, those owners did not take measurements so I did not know. I think that 250ms is way too dry for me. It was good for having a conversation without music playing, but it wasn't great for music.

I don't agree that "killing" the first reflection makes the soundstage narrow. It is easy to prove that is not the case if one test songs that one knows have a wide soundstage.

How "dry" one want the room is a preference. My room is between 180-250 ms (100Hz and up) and I like it. That is my preference.

Pudik

While it may be an interesting technical project, inviting a symphony orchestra into your home is a creative aesthetic project too. Going to Symphony Hall is the the real thing and trying to reproduce that experience at home is artifice. Successfully optimizing the recording/playback chain to transparency doesn't eliminate the artifice because playback in your room doesn't sound the same as Symphony Hall. Successfully optimizing the sound-fields in your listening space to match some Symphony Hall so you can move and hear the same thing (if that can be done, idk) just begs questions: which Symphony Hall and which recording are you going to simulate at home. And don't touch the volume control because only one setting is realistic.

My point is that whatever we do with playing recordings at home is deliberate artifice for our pleasure. We are all subjectivists at the end of the day. There's nothing better than listening to Bruckner 9 on a Bluetooth speaker in the bathroom when that's what you need.
Bruckner 9? Wow, i m really impressed. I usually listen to it before Mahler's 9 and 10 :)

Surely, listening at home is not the real think and depends on physical room correction as well as software. This is why my listening is sometimes happening directly from a cd player, but other times from computers where i have tons of room correction inside my DAWs. I rip the cd to whichever computer disk. I take the file into a DAW and i do room environment in the DAW, then listen. HOWEVER: no matter how good correction may be, it's finally to the speakers to render mid highs and highs smoothly. When i m writing about this on any thread, i am referring to the often harsh and brittle digital sound of violin groups, trumpets, oboes, unclear crash or riding cymbals, etc, for ex a sweeping long melodic line, such as In most of Bruckner's second movements, Brahms' First, first movement's very beginning, Fourth second movement (the E major line, first violins) or Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake, or Shoenberg's Peleas, etc, the number of such lines is innumerable. So, with me it's not even getting to the real thing, but firstly and foremostly the quality of high frequencies. This is why, when i was 16, my first move was to expressly modify the expensive tape recorder my father bought on the occasion of my performing a Beethoven Sonata in front of quite a large audience. He was, of course, quite unhappy about my delving into electronics when i knew nothing about it. Faithfully yours, P.

Multicore

Major Contributor
Bruckner 9? Wow, i m really impressed. I usually listen to it before Mahler's 9 and 10 :)

Surely, listening at home is not the real think and depends on physical room correction as well as software. This is why my listening is sometimes happening directly from a cd player, but other times from computers where i have tons of room correction inside my DAWs. I rip the cd to whichever computer disk. I take the file into a DAW and i do room environment in the DAW, then listen. HOWEVER: no matter how good correction may be, it's finally to the speakers to render mid highs and highs smoothly. When i m writing about this on any thread, i am referring to the often harsh and brittle digital sound of violin groups, trumpets, oboes, unclear crash or riding cymbals, etc, for ex a sweeping long melodic line, such as In most of Bruckner's second movements, Brahms' First, first movement's very beginning, Fourth second movement (the E major line, first violins) or Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake, or Shoenberg's Peleas, etc, the number of such lines is innumerable. So, with me it's not even getting to the real thing, but firstly and foremostly the quality of high frequencies. This is why, when i was 16, my first move was to expressly modify the expensive tape recorder my father bought on the occasion of my performing a Beethoven Sonata in front of quite a large audience. He was, of course, quite unhappy about my delving into electronics when i knew nothing about it. Faithfully yours, P.
All music recordings are artifice, no matter what your dad may have thought about fidelity ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

Pudik

To conclude a long and winding side-thread about envelopment: The quality is important to audio professionals beyond doubt, but recorded envelopment often does not make it to a recreational listener, due to, for instance...

- reproduction room, unstandardised speaker setup or listener placement,
- loudspeakers with too bumpy in-situ LF, and/or response not extended to at least 50 Hz,
- pods or soundbars incapable of inducing LF channel differences in the listening space,
- lossy datareduction distorting channel differences,
- electrical summation of low octaves (mono sub, incl. distributed subs)

Whether or not the experience of auditory envelopment to a human is just enjoyable, or it also may trigger a striatal response in listeners, is conjecture for the time b

All music recordings are artifice, no matter what your dad may have thought about fidelity ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sure, but then you probably haven't heard music recordings done on two track willy studer pro, broadcast grade recordings and reproduced on the same equipment in a radio studio. It was in 1967 and quality breathtaking.

Multicore

Major Contributor
Sure, but then you probably haven't heard music recordings done on two track willy studer pro, broadcast grade recordings and reproduced on the same equipment in a radio studio. It was in 1967 and quality breathtaking.
I did not have that actual experience back then, it's true. Audio recording and playback can of course be very impressive. And good artifice can be breathtaking. My point is that there is something distinctly artificial about putting a full orchestra into a home living room regardless of the qualities of the equipment. It's a bit like putting an elephant, or a large fireworks display, or an infantry battalion in a living room.

Pudik

I agree. I think that multichannel sound, say 8, judiciously distributed, would help create a more realistic environment. I never said the recorded ensemble can equate the real environment, just that it can come pretty darn close if one has the possibility to build a good acoustic environment for the speakers. By multichannel, i understand that the different orchestral departments be grouped to separate channels, with the interdepartmental mandatory acoustic leaks, or separate channels dedicated to the ensemble as a whole, just as is done with the so called 'house' microphone(s) at recording time. Again, i m just saying recordings will come closer to the real thing, and that it'll depend on the listener to create a more or less optimal environment at his/her venue. P.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Multichannel sound, done approximately right, can quite nicely move you into another acoustic space in your living room. The problem with multichannel sound presently is that production for multichannel sound is still approaching the renaissance, and is still in the late dark ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom