• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hegel H95 Review (Streaming Amplifier)

usersky

Forum Donor
It is interesting to see that Hagel Music Systems liked this rather critical post.
It's damage control: we agree that manual may be misleading, even the label LINE OUT may be uninspired but the product... the product is perfect. An errata to the manual is so cheap.

UzbcuRA

I think Hegel currently have the previous 'Schiit mindset' where 'good enough is good enough' for most people. Schiit have now shown they have the chops to make great sounding gear which also performs seriously well, so proving to me it CAN be done (sadly, deliveries to the UK are currently fraught with issues, but hopefully that will improve and the prices aren't hugely higher than in the US home market it seems). I do hope they can sort out the tech shortcomings in this baseline model as I think the visuals are fine.
Agreed, Hegel is firmly in the old-school HIFI mindset, which sites such as this are very effective to expose. Lazy engineering is a thing of the past.

Schiit is cleaning up their act, Hegel needs to do the same. In the meantime, we should take our business elsewhere.

V.b.

I'll post it again... the DAC does not clip at all using the Hegel as it is supposed to be used. It is a bit noisy (as noisy as the Razer dongle) and not of great quality but the amplifier (which is the limiting factor) lands in the 'green zone' so perfectly usable.
Because of the high gain the device has it will amplify noise from the DAC when the volume is set to 96.
In practice you'll probably never go beyond 50.
I see no proof that the dac was clipping in coaxial tests even if volume was set at 95. In fact, the 72 SINAD result is expected of 80db DAC into a 82db amplifier, which are best case scenarios for DAC and AMP and indicative of real world performance.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Which is brings me back to the block diagram, how? Dodgy power circuitry?
Actually, that is an interesting question ;) Given the fact that there is no global feedback and there are multiple chained gain stages all with local feedback, the question then is why clipping at the end makes the start also distorted? Possibly one of the electronics guru's can shed some more detailed light on this?

DSJR

Major Contributor
A pal suggested a Quad Vena 2 amp as a better priced alternative (also to the Topping PA5/E50 combination looking at facilities offered if not chasing SINAD). I gather the Leak also-retro unit is similar inside...

Basic measurements here and again, 500mV for full output

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I see no proof that the dac was clipping in coaxial tests even if volume was set at 95. In fact, the 72 SINAD result is expected of 80db DAC into a 82db amplifier, which are best case scenarios for DAC and AMP and indicative of real world performance.

It wasn't clipping in that test nor did I say it was.

The 72dB SINAD of the amp was caused by the stimulus being -24dB so the noise floor of the DAC (which arguably is already high) is amplified causing the noise level to go up in ways that in normal usage would not occur unless the recording was digitally attenuated by 24dB or recorded with peaks reaching -24dB.

I missed that, thank you for clairifying. It's quite the big deal. Did @amirm explain why he did that?

The plot is not a real world situation for 5W (in 'normal usage') but the result of the standardized test method used by Amir (which makes sense) but in that particular plot made it look worse than it is when you were using it 'normal' and SINAD would be amp determined in real world situations.

It basically shows the higher noise floor of the DAC (24dB increased) compared to the line-in a bit higher.

KSTR

Major Contributor
OK, one last try.

Soundstage's measurements:

The important info is this section from the Soundstage report:
"We attempted to optimize the volume position to achieve the best signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) and THD+N measurements at the speaker outputs (8 ohms) for both analog and digital inputs. For all analog input primary measurements (unless otherwise specified), the best measurements were achieved with the volume was set to 99. At a volume setting of 99, 240mVrms was required at the input for 10W (8 ohms) at the output. For the digital input, we found a volume setting of 59 yielded 10W (8 ohms) at the output for a 0dBFS input. We found essentially no differences between the optical and coaxial S/PDIF inputs, as well as the USB input, in terms of THD+N."

Line Input:
fft_spectrum_1khz.png

"Shown above is an FFT for a 1kHz input sinewave stimulus at the analog input, measured at the output across an 8-ohm load at 10W. Here we see that the second harmonic, at 2kHz, is just below -90dBrA, or 0.003%, while the third harmonic, at 3kHz, is just above -90dBrA. The other harmonics measured lower, below -100dBrA, or ?0.001%, down to about -125dBRa, or 0.00006%, at 20kHz. Below 1kHz, we see noise artifacts, with the 60Hz peak due to power-supply noise reaching -100dBrA (left), or 0.001%, and -110dBrA (right), or 0.0003%, and the 120Hz peak reaching just below -90dBrA. The harmonics of these two peaks can also be seen at lower levels."

DAC Input:
fft_spectrum_1khz_2496_0dbfs.png

"Shown above are FFTs for a 1kHz 0dBFS dithered 24/96 input sinewave stimulus at the coaxial digital input, measured at the output across an 8-ohm load at 10W."

(Bold mine in all cases).

What we can infer from these plots that the DAC path is NOT significantly nosier (in terms of wideband noise) than than the line input and the distortion is very similar which tells us the DAC intrinsic distortion is NOT dominating either, for that very reasonable test conditions (0dBFS or equivalent analog input voltage, volume dialed in to achieve 10W/8R output and mentioned different pot setting for the analog input).

The difference in mains hum indicates PCB layout / cabling problems for the DAC lines (which we already noted). In general the measured performance sure is not spectacular, middle of the road at best.

Now, what we wanted to know about suitability for the occasional DAC- or PreAmp-only use-case is the behavior of DAC vs line input at the line output, which neither SS nor Amir measured. I'd volunteer to do so if I gained access to an H95, as well as I would open the amp (when permitted) and try to measure the DAC chip's true direct output to see if any analog stages in between do degrade the signal, etc.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The plot is not a real world situation for 5W (in 'normal usage') but the result of the standardized test method used by Amir (which makes sense) but in that particular plot made it look worse than it is when you were using it 'normal' and SINAD would be amp determined in real world situations.
I still don't really get it, he can still get 5W output by having full amplitude digital signal and bring the volume knob on the amplifier down.

It's very counterintuitive and frankly kind of borderline malicious tbh.

tw99

I still don't really get it, he can still get 5W output by having full amplitude digital signal and bring the volume knob on the amplifier down.

It's very counterintuitive and frankly kind of borderline malicious tbh.

Malicious ? Seems a bit strong.

It's just an effect of the way he's attempting to standardise the measurements between integrated, AV, and power amps (using the volume control to set the gain to a "standard" level). If he did it a different way, people would probably just complain that the differing gain levels invalidates the comparison between the different amp types.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's damage control: we agree that manual may be misleading, even the label LINE OUT may be uninspired but the product... the product is perfect. An errata to the manual is so cheap.
"Perfect" is not the way I will describe an amplifier that measures and behaves that badly.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I missed that, thank you for clairifying. It's quite the big deal. Did @amirm explain why he did that?
I have. Volume control was kept the same as analog test and I adjusted the digital value to get the same 5 watts. It is the only way to get apples vs apples comparison of digital versus analog. The analog value was also quite small so digital had to be as well (given the 29 dB gain set on the amplifier).

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll post it again... the DAC does not clip at all using the Hegel as it is supposed to be used.
@amirm was feeding a digital signal and measuring the analogue outputs. How else should we supposed to use the amp???

Are you telling us that the digital input should never be fed full scale signal?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Once again: we are using standardized THX gain level for an amplifier which is 29 dB. That is the only gain setting I test an amplifier at. Whether input is digital or analog, it is tested at the same gain level.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
people would probably just complain that the differing gain levels invalidates the comparison between the different amp types.
I'm one of those people who complain about this, so i get you. :p

Personally i would make an exception once the analogue input of the Audio precision is no longer used, as the low noise floor of the AP is what makes designing a low gain amplifier attractive for reviews.

I purchased a H95 about 3 months ago. Auditioned in store on the same speakers I have at home (PMC Twenty5.22) and across the 3 amplifiers I was comparing it was my preference. I brought it home, hooked it up and was disappointed. The bass (which was lovely and full in store) seemed absent. I hooked up a Marantz Slimline AVR and it sounded better. Decided to give it some time and it improved massively and reached a point where I was very happy with it. In fact I now love it. I was always skeptical about burn in, but in this case it made a big difference. Since then it's had a lot of use and I've spent many an evening chilling out and thoroughly enjoying it.

So then I saw this review and my first reaction was not good. It's now been several days and with time and continued use of the amplifier I've decided I simply don't care. I loved how the amp sounded before and I continue to love it now and prefer it to previous amplifiers I've owned (Marantz Pearl Lite and a Cambridge Audio CXA80).

With that in mind, if a reviewer such as Tarun, John Darko or anyone else review and like the sound and report it that way, then so be it. It's going to be their subjective opinion. Few YouTube reviewers do measurements, so unless are measuring and reporting on performance figures you will be getting a subjective review.

I want to make it clear that I'd have loved the measurements to be top shelf to back up my expectations and listening impressions, but they didn't. I also don't mind John Darko or Tarun generally, but I don't take anything that they or any other reviewer say as gospel (for a range of reasons I won't go into here for fear of starting an audiophile ethernet cable debate - although I think most people on this site would agree with me that it's BS).

Long story short I auditioned the H95 and made my own mind up before purchasing it. I will be happily keeping it. Enjoy the music folks.
c7a215c0-c511-41be-a5a0-bc6b488aac82_screenshot.jpg

Top Bottom