• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio LYD 5 Studio Monitor Review

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thank you for the review @amirm!
Screenshot_20200913_080430.jpg

Would it be possible to test the -10 setting? I assume it would have been preferred in the listening test (unless there's a sudden rise in distortion).

Last edited:

VeerK

Looks like a Skaaning woofer, if it’s the AT 18H52, it’s showing the same dip around 1.4-1.6k that I’ve measured in my own units.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Newman

Major Contributor
Love the far field graph, assuming it is what I think it is. Is this similar to what Genelec publishes in that the recommended listening distance for this speaker is 1.5m or less?....
I thought 1.5 m or more?

I probably need a more lengthy description of what the chart is, and how it tells us anything.

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Thank you for the review @amirm!
View attachment 82760
Would it be possible to test the -10 setting? I assume it would have been preferred in the listening test (unless there's a sudden rise in distortion).
I will see if my wife lets me make more loud noises. :)
For overview of bass extension settings of LYD 5 relative to 305P and KH 80 some printed graphs below :)

ASR on axis for 305P and KH 80 verse Amir's spindata for LYD 5..
1a.png

Animation of bass extension settings LYD 5 relative to Amir's spindata for LYD 5..
Bass_extension_x2x1x1x1_800mS.gif

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What does it actually mean when it's said a speaker transfers from nearfield to farfield listening? Is it something to do with the where the waveforms combine from the woofer & tweeter in terms of distance and/or something to do with when reflections combine in an average room? What do the different lines in the graph represent?
1599985936613.png

I can see that it's something to do with the distance at which the speaker reaches somekind of steady state, but I don't know what that state is.

posvibes

Thanks Amirm for the review.

The bass of the JBL MSR305p is really in a class of its own, over and above the quality of the speaker itself.

Owning them as I do, which is mainly attributable to ASR's tester in chief, I have developed a quiet smugness in having them. I just wish I had known a lot sooner.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
So the Danes are honest, Amir measured same "anomalies" in vertical directivity as in their datasheet

Very cool correlation. So Amir doesn't just make up those directivity plots like I thought he did? *kidding* :)

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What does it actually mean when it's said a speaker transfers from nearfield to farfield listening? Is it something to do with the where the waveforms combine from the woofer & tweeter in terms of distance and/or something to do with when reflections combine in an average room? What do the different lines in the graph represent?
View attachment 82771
I can see that it's something to do with the distance at which the speaker reaches somekind of steady state, but I don't know what that state is.
I get what being in the far-field means, but Amir has stated that this point changes with frequency and is farther away with bass, which I don’t understand, I would think that it only would be dependent on the crossover region, and that say 100Hz & 10000Hz would be considered far-field from even just an inch away.

Here is my best guess for the chart:
The Klippel works by taking multiple measurements of the speaker, it then uses its formula(s) to try and combine all the sound sources into a single source, and the more complex (ports, multiple drivers, etc.), the higher number of expansions need to be done. Looking at the chart, I assume the Klippel considers a speaker as a single source when “interference” (detecting multiple sound sources) is at -100dB, and it then is also able to spit out at what calculated distance this occurs at. So, it doesn’t matter if it’s at n=8 or n=11, it matters when it reaches -100dB.

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
The bass extension and deviation from flat looks a bit disappointed for this price range

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I get what being in the far-field means, but Amir has stated that this point changes with frequency, which I don’t understand, I would think that it only would be dependent on the crossover region, and that say 100Hz & 10000Hz would be considered far-field from even just an inch away.
Well I'm hoping that someone can answer both my question & yours.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The bass extension and deviation from flat looks a bit disappointed for this price range

Depends on the point of view. The specs provided by Dynaudio seem to be in-line with Amir's, so you know what to expect before buying. Since they seem to have good (excellent?) power handling, a couple of subs should help with these. Deviation from flat doesn't look very problematic to me. There's a lot worse out there.

Happy to see yet another brand putting effort into incorporating objective research into their products. The Jupiter measurement lab seems to be paying off. Hopefully in the future someone will send in one of Dynaudio's more recent upper tier products.

YSC

Major Contributor
Depends on the point of view. The specs provided by Dynaudio seem to be in-line with Amir's, so you know what to expect before buying. Since they seem to have good (excellent?) power handling, a couple of subs should help with these. Deviation from flat doesn't look very problematic to me. There's a lot worse out there.

Happy to see yet another brand putting effort into incorporating objective research into their products. The Jupiter measurement lab seems to be paying off. Hopefully in the future someone will send in one of Dynaudio's more recent upper tier products.
True though just personally I would always prefer something measures like the Genelec or Neumann or even Focal Shapes where they are mostly neutral as a pair of studio monitor

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Well I'm hoping that someone can answer both my question & yours.

I cant know if feature to adjust Z-axis in CAD software outputs this 100% right although will imagine its right or relative close but judge yourself what animation below tell, technical CAD software is feeded Amir's spindata which is pre calculated by his Klippel software to output acosutics performance at 2 meter distance called by the CTA2034 standard, in CAD software same standard 2 meter distance is set for microhone but then one have the feature to dial on speakers Z-axis and set it to negative numbers relative to the 72 derectivity curves in Amir's spindara.

Animation on axis of LYD 5..

Litening_distances_EDIT_x2x1x1x2x1x1_1200mS.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom