• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac ART is now running on beta FW for Denon Xx800H AVRs!

multisport4me

I was under the impression that DBLC could only be applied to subwoofers. And not to full range speakers. Am I wrong?

My understanding is that DLBC uses whatever bass frequencies it can, from any and all speakers, to create a smooth bass response in the room.

Now from a configuration perspective, I don't know what the software will do if you have zero subwoofers and a bunch of full range speakers (putting aside how unadvisable that would be since very very few full range speakers actually produce bass as well as a subwoofer can). My guess is that it would work if it goes down to a certain frequency at certain output level...but I don't know for sure.

davidc

Forum Donor
My understanding is that DLBC uses whatever bass frequencies it can, from any and all speakers, to create a smooth bass response in the room.

Now from a configuration perspective, I don't know what the software will do if you have zero subwoofers and a bunch of full range speakers (putting aside how unadvisable that would be since very very few full range speakers actually produce bass as well as a subwoofer can). My guess is that it would work if it goes down to a certain frequency at certain output level...but I don't know for sure.
It is true that there are very few full-range speakers that can produce bass that subwoofers can. But, if you've heard of the company called VMPS, you know that they're Super Tower III,'s can definitely handle the task

multisport4me

It is true that there are very few full-range speakers that can produce bass that subwoofers can. But, if you've heard of the company called VMPS, you know that they're Super Tower III,'s can definitely handle the task
I haven't, but I have now - thanks for the tip.

I'd give DLBC a try and let us know how it works out. You have 30 days to get a full refund if you don't like it.

slaweks

Forum Donor
I think you mix DLART and DLBC. The latter is limited to subwoofers.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This Dirac ART bundle looks to be an awful lot of extra change to tie up in an AVR that could go up in smoke
tomorrow. ? Personally I think many might be better off hooking up with @mitchco at Accurate Sound and having a custom
designed curve/s for you system done by him.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

ChatGPT 3.5 (the free one), summary:
Phil Jones and Matas Johanson from Dir are discussing an exciting addition to Denon and Marantz AVRs: Dirac Live Room Compensation Software. Dirac specializes in digital signal processing to enhance sound systems, particularly in home audio. Direct Live, their room correction product, corrects impulse and frequency responses, optimizing audio realism and imaging. The discussion focuses on the new Dirac Base Control, a significant advancement in room correction.

Matas explains that base control is crucial for optimizing multiple subwoofers, addressing issues like interference and variations in frequency response. The software uses all-pass filters to ensure subwoofers play optimally together, creating an even base response throughout the listening area. Base Control automates a challenging task, significantly improving base performance. The discussion emphasizes the importance of achieving both deep and tight base for an immersive audio experience. Phil expresses excitement about the partnership and looks forward to user feedback on this new feature for Denon and Marantz AVRs.

Last edited:

soerenssen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
First subjective reviews of DLBC are not so good in the official A1H thread on avsførum, people are going back to using MQX.
I bought the desktop DLBC licence during BF (haven't used yet), but I was wondering if this is specific to Denon's DLBC implementation or in general Audyssey MQX is better for multiple subs. Any experience so far, comparing them on the xx800h series?

morpheusX

This Dirac ART bundle looks to be an awful lot of extra change to tie up in an AVR that could go up in smoke
tomorrow.
IIRC, @Flak mentioned that if the unit stops working, Dirac may be able to offer an alternative.

@Flak, can you please confirm what would happen if a user buys DLBC/(ART when available), and the unit stops working and cannot be serviced?

Lets say a user buys a Denon X4800H, it stops working and cannot be serviced, and the user buys a new Denon Unit.
Can the license be moved to the new unit?
And does being within the warranty period or not makes any difference?

Thank you!

multisport4me

First subjective reviews of DLBC are not so good in the official A1H thread on avsførum, people are going back to using MQX.
I bought the desktop DLBC licence during BF (haven't used yet), but I was wondering if this is specific to Denon's DLBC implementation or in general Audyssey MQX is better for multiple subs. Any experience so far, comparing them on the xx800h series?

Looks like a whopping 2 users to me. Another tried Dirac Live months ago but didn't like it and based on the 2 "reviews" he said he won't try DLBC. All within 24 hours of release! lol

I used it with an HTP-1 and are happy to have it on the AV10 now. That said, I ran into a couple of bugs that I reported (typical of first releases) but so far it has been super easy to use on my four subs and two full range speakers. There is nothing flat or dull about my set up at all. But to each his own. There is a 30 day refund window so I guess I don't get posts like these.

Try it. Post issue and concerns while trying. That should be welcome discussion. But to toss it aside and claim its inferior to some other methods based on two guy's opinions, withing 24 hours of release, seems a bit silly to me.

soerenssen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But to toss it aside and claim its inferior to some other methods based on two guy's opinions, withing 24 hours of release, seems a bit silly to me.
I didn't toss it aside and definitely didn't claim anything. I currently don't have a multichannel DAC to try it. I'm still within the return window and I was just curious if there is a general consensus about this here on asr and whether there are potential differences between the desktop version and Denon's implementation. Do you know if the desktop version is maintained / updated more regularly than the vendor-specific versions of Dirac or Audyssey? (for example, if there is a reported bug, how quickly are they fixed?

Frank207be

I'm happy with DLBC on the A1H and 4 subs. Bass is more tight and punchier in my room but the difference is not night and day. Compared to Direct Mode and with a 1kHz curtain I only hear the corrected midbass and a slightly altered stereo image (away from the subwoofer range).

Anxiously waiting for ART now :)

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audyssey was the first with bass EQ and it may turn out that there's not a big difference between Audyssey and DLBC in some rooms/setups. The Denon/Marantz is the first time you have a processor with both Audyssey and DLBC for easier comparisons.

I have the HTP-1. I also don't hear a big difference between standard Dirac Live where there MAY be interactions between speakers and woofers and DLBC but not really noticeable in my room, common listening positions. I sent my notes to Dirac tech support and they also felt that the improvement with DLBC was relatively small for my specific speakers/room, etc. I was going to return the license within my 30 day window, but what was interesting was having them look at what would happen if I enabled ART. For my particular setup, there would be a big predicted difference and so I'm keeping DLBC with the hope that the predicted improvement also translates into real-world improvements. (By bed layer is all full range, with lower than 30 Hz response for everything but the center (which drops off after 40 Hz)

multisport4me

I didn't toss it aside and definitely didn't claim anything. I currently don't have a multichannel DAC to try it. I'm still within the return window and I was just curious if there is a general consensus about this here on asr and whether there are potential differences between the desktop version and Denon's implementation. Do you know if the desktop version is maintained / updated more regularly than the vendor-specific versions of Dirac or Audyssey? (for example, if there is a reported bug, how quickly are they fixed?
They seem to update frequently. Support has always been responsive to me but who knows if it will remain that way with D&M customers being added into the install base. Still, they just dropped another release today (posted by broncogr on avsforum). There are some bugs for sure. I just had to restart the app 2x to get it to process filters and load it in a slot on the AV10. Once there though, I'm having good results.

I really think room correction systems have become like religion - everyone thinks their religion is the right and only religion. To me the RC systems are tools to get you in the ball park and at the end of the day, you dial in to what your ears like in your room - with your kit - listening to your sources - of your music - at your listening levels - with your however-many subwoofers/speakers. Mileage will vary. Objects may (or may not) appear larger in your sideview mirror.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Looks like a whopping 2 users to me. Another tried Dirac Live months ago but didn't like it and based on the 2 "reviews" he said he won't try DLBC. All within 24 hours of release! lol

I used it with an HTP-1 and are happy to have it on the AV10 now. That said, I ran into a couple of bugs that I reported (typical of first releases) but so far it has been super easy to use on my four subs and two full range speakers. There is nothing flat or dull about my set up at all. But to each his own. There is a 30 day refund window so I guess I don't get posts like these.

Try it. Post issue and concerns while trying. That should be welcome discussion. But to toss it aside and claim its inferior to some other methods based on two guy's opinions, withing 24 hours of release, seems a bit silly to me.
All subjective reviews and opinions are useless and that also goes for RC systems.

If one wants to seriously compare the different RC systems, then they should run sweeps. Before and after the RC has done its magic. And even that only gives an idea about the characteristics of the automated part and not what a savvy user might achieve with each respective system when they start manually tweaking it.

Way too many opinions and anecdotes out there for my taste.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I really think room correction systems have become like religion - everyone thinks their religion is the right and only religion. To me the RC systems are tools to get you in the ball park and at the end of the day, you dial in to what your ears like in your room - with your kit - listening to your sources - of your music - at your listening levels - with your however-many subwoofers/speakers.
Yes, No, Maybe. Specially in the bass, folks preferences have wide margins when it comes to "room curve" preferences, etc.
Used to remove a bunch a peaks & valleys to smooth the overall curve, and get the timing right it where RC really shines.
I'm well satisfied with what Audyssey + $20 Editor + REW checks has accomplished with my 2 SVS subs.

I don't think DLBC is enough to weigh me off Dynamic EQ of Audyssey. ART might though.
ART will have to be able to create some type of miracle in the upper ranges over a proper application of room treatments
to sway me. For those not willing to upset the aesthetics of a room with treatments, ART may be a good choice but I worry
that it could cause more problems than it solves? Time will tell.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ART will have to be able to create some type of miracle in the upper ranges over a proper application of room treatments to sway me. For those not willing to upset the aesthetics of a room with treatments, ART may be a good choice but I worry that it could cause more problems than it solves? Time will tell.

The big advantage of ART over DLBC is that it can improve bass variability seat to seat as high as 150 Hz. But I am not sure that it will make a difference if your main listening position is relatively narrow.

Additionally, the HTP-1 has loudness compensation as does Audyssey, but I don’t think a lot of products with Dirac have loudness options. The pre-Harman Arcam’s had Dolby Volume but I don’t see that advertised on the new ones.

Audyssey gets a bad rap, but it was founded by really smart people. I think it’s looked down upon once Audyssey had its patents assigned to Sound United, at which point the competition had to be negative on Audyssey. Sound United also made the mistake of not creating an Audyssey XT64 and continuing to use MultEQ XT on the lower level products.

Now that we have Audyssey and Dirac on the same platform, it will be interesting to see how they compare. @amirm, is it possible to do any sort of tests since you have a Cinema 40 in house? Maybe @Flak or your contacts at Masimo can give you a “press” license to DLBC for the unit you have on test. You also need MultEQ-X to compare…

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Do you know if the desktop version is maintained / updated more regularly than the vendor-specific versions of Dirac or Audyssey? (for example, if there is a reported bug, how quickly are they fixed?

The change log for Dirac Live and Dirac Live Processor is here, you can see for yourself.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think DLBC is enough to weigh me off Dynamic EQ of Audyssey. ART might though.
It is crazy they make you pay not only with money but also by surrendering a key and useful feature.

Top Bottom