• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIRAC terminology and info

xrqp

Forum Donor
DIRAC terminology and info
Not official. There may be errors. But I am now a user of the Suite and I have updated this, and I think it is all correct.

Dirac Processor (DP) – this is what must be on the hardware (the AVR, MiniDSP), for the various Dirac offerings to work. It uses filters to process audio. It does not create filters.

Dirac Live (DL) – is the basic room correction and includes disabled DLBC. It creates filters. Pay more to enable DLBC. I think it can do surround?

Dirac Live Bass Control (DLBC) - Pay more to enable the DLBC that comes with DL. Adds crossover function for subs, and optimizes bass more by modifying volume, phase, delay to each sub or each group of subs.

Dirac Live Active Room Treatment (ART) - Not widely available until 2024. Reduces loudness and decay time of room resonances.

Dirac Live Room Correction Suite (The Suite)- Dirac Processor for Computers (Instead of AVR, MiniDSP). Includes DP and DL for computer. You get both 1. and 2. below, and pick the one to use.
DL is the Dirac Live 3 application (3.0.x) - to make filters.
The DP part can be either Standalone or Plugin and the one license gives you both:
  1. DP Standalone (DPS) this is DP for PCs and Macs. So it can work with everything on the computer. It creates a sound device that Windows can select. In DPS you can set audio to have 1 to 15 channels, ASIO or other, etc. It works with Roon, Emby, etc. This is the one I use since I am not creating media.
  2. DP Plugin (DPP) - so it can work with your DAW. Requires a plugin host (DAW, Digital Audio Workstation, or JRiver) compatible with VST2, VST3, AAX, or AU plugins. This seems to be mainly for people who create media. Possibly JRiver users want this regardless of if they create media, I am not sure.

LICENSING
License transfers are possible if you are selling your hardware device and the new owner wants to take ownership of the Dirac Live license, or if you experienced hardware failure and are using a replacement device of the same model.

Transferring or using licenses across multiple devices or models is not supported. For example, if you bought a license for an NAD M10 and are now buying a Denon X3800H, you will need to purchase a new license, as your NAD license is not transferable to the Denon.

ESTIMATED COST 2023-9
The Suite: stereo $350, multichannel $500. The one Suite license gives you both Standalone and Plugin.
Add DLBC add $500 to above.
All at once (The Suite + DLBC): stereo $730, multichannel $850
ART is not widely available until about 2024.

Last edited:
OP
xrqp

xrqp

Forum Donor
LICENSING
Due to the high cost of Dirac, and the quick obsolescence of AVRs, I think the licensing issue is a problem for the consumer. When the AVR goes to landfill due to obsolescence, so will the Dirac license.

I think the license for The Suite (for Mac and Windows PCs) is better because they told me in an email that I could upgrade the computer and contact them for a free license transfer.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I believe that (on macOS at least):
  • DiracLive is the application used for taking measurements and calculating filters.
  • DiracLiveProcessor is the part applying the filters to the signal, consisting of DiracLiveProcessor Standalone and DiracLiveProcessor Plugin. Either will work, which one you use depends on how your audio flows are set up on the Mac.
  • DiracLive Bass Control is a feature that‘s licensed separately. The license lives with DiracLiveProcessor (it connects to dirac.com to check for it). When DiracLive connects to a DiracLiveProcessor it will pick up whatever the Processor is licensed for and adapt its UI accordingly.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Here's a visual comparison of all 3 systems (Live vs Bass Control vs ART):
1702589649861.png

source

great04

For a 2.1 system, If I purchase a hardware, say miniDSP Flex, with Dirac Live stereo, do I still need the additional suite on computer to do the measurement and create the filter? Or is the Dirac Live with miniDSP the only purchase needed?

Also, the miniDSP Flex - Dirac is stereo without a channel for subwoofer. Does it negatively affect the sound quality?

Ref from miniDSP: 2.1 sub integration with miniDSP

Last edited:
OP
xrqp

xrqp

Forum Donor
For a 2.1 system, If I purchase a hardware, say miniDSP Flex, with Dirac Live stereo, do I still need the additional suite on computer to do the measurement and create the filter?
No. miniDSP includes the software on the PC to create the filters - and it is not called Suite. After you create the filters, you do not need the pC anymore.

Top Bottom