• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X8500H AVR Review

pras1011

I have never used Dirac. And the av8805 sounded muffled with audyssey off and on. Tone controls helped.

john11

If possible can we get a more in depth description as to the improvements in SQ, not features, between the 8500 and the 3700.
The 3700 got a score of 88 and the 8500 got 85. Is it all about the figures, is the price increase of the 8500 worth it ?

pedrob

If possible can we get a more in depth description as to the improvements in SQ, not features, between the 8500 and the 3700.
The 3700 got a score of 88 and the 8500 got 85. Is it all about the figures, is the price increase of the 8500 worth it ?
It's not just about price, as there are more channels and higher power output. You can see a side by side comparison and discussion of various differences here.

jbattman1016

The 8500 is getting "old" at this point. Any of the x700 series will have a better feature setup, but not as many channels (except the A1H I think). If you can get a great price on an 8500 go for it.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
X8500 also has a better DAC and higher SINAD (104). Also allows turning off any individual amps such as LRC for use with outboard amps of higher quality.

Last edited:

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got a score where? 88 and 85?

john11

Got a score where? 88 and 85?

asr amps 2023.png

Cigibroke

Hello, I have noticed the buzzing noise coming from all my 7 home theatre speakers when I put my ears close to the speaker tweeters.
(without any content playing)
I tried other wall socket, another power strip, disconnecting all inputs from Denon 8500HA avr etc. nothing has changed.
I asked to Denon support and their reply is as below:
"The buzz noise described is quite normal. Every amplifier has its own noise. However, this can only be heard if, as you describe, you hold your ear directly to the loudspeaker."

Does anyone have a similar buzzing noise on the speakers?
BTW, at normal listening distance, i could not hear any buzzing, only when i put my ear to close them.

If you were me, would you sell the 8500ha and buy the A1h instead just for this reason?

Last edited:

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello, I have noticed the buzzing noise coming from all my 7 home theatre speakers when I put my ears close to the speaker tweeters.
I tried other wall socket, another power strip, disconnecting all inputs from Denon 8500HA avr etc. nothing has changed.
"The buzz noise described is quite normal. Every amplifier has its own noise. However, this can only be heard if, as you describe, you hold your ear directly to the loudspeaker."

BTW, at normal listening distance, i could not hear any buzzing, only when i put my ear to close them.

If you were me, would you sell the 8500ha and buy the A1h instead just for this reason?
Generally, buzz is 60 Hz and caused by a ground loop. Perhaps from a source device or your TV. If it's a hiss sound (white noise), then that is the amplifier itself and can normally be heard when the gain is turned up significantly and you have sensitive speakers.

If you cannot hear it from the listening position with content playing, there is nothing to worry about.

Cigibroke

Generally, buzz is 60 Hz and caused by a ground loop. Perhaps from a source device or your TV. If it's a hiss sound (white noise), then that is the amplifier itself and can normally be heard when the gain is turned up significantly and you have sensitive speakers.

If you cannot hear it from the listening position with content playing, there is nothing to worry about.
Thank you so much. I ll keep my 8500HA

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you so much. I ll keep my 8500HA
Agreed that it's nothing to worry about, but if you wish, you could likely reduce the noise further by a) making sure your interconnects are not subject to interference by other current carrying conductors such as power supply cables, and b) replace some or all of better-quality interconnects. In case of b), it is better to try one pairs first, in case if it makes no difference then you don't end up spending too much money for nothing, c) same with speaker cables, and keep them as short as possible too.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Ground loops can even occur with XLR cables. I experienced it with my Yamaha CX-A5100 and Meyer Amie. Hiss is unavoidable unless you have high voltage preamps and low gain amplifiers. The buzz can be ameliorated by running the phone ground lug of your Denon to the ground of whatever is causing your ground loop.

I ended up using a power conditioner with a ground lug to help mitigate this.

ban25

Ground loops can even occur with XLR cables. I experienced it with my Yamaha CX-A5100 and Meyer Amie. Hiss is unavoidable unless you have high voltage preamps and low gain amplifiers. The buzz can be ameliorated by running the phone ground lug of your Denon to the ground of whatever is causing your ground loop.

I ended up using a power conditioner with a ground lug to help mitigate this.
I think in his case, it's just the noise floor of the X8500HA. Any time I've had a ground loop, it's been so loud that I wouldn't be comfortable putting my ear up that close to the speaker.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think in his case, it's just the noise floor of the X8500HA. Any time I've had a ground loop, it's been so loud that I wouldn't be comfortable putting my ear up that close to the speaker.
Agreed. That said, my XLR based ground loop was audible at listening position, but not so loud that you couldn’t get close to it. The voltage potential must have been pretty small.

bo_knows

Hello Cigibroke,

I think you will need to provide a little more information in order to get an educated guess from our experts.

For example:

1) Is the noise you hear a white-nose or 60hz hum? There's a big difference and you will know instantly.
2) How sensitive are your speakers?
3) What is exactly the distance between the tweeter and your ear when you are conducting this test?
4) What is the volume level on the AVR when you are conducting this test?
5) What kind of sources are you using and is the noise the same with all sources?
6) Do you have any surge protector/power conditioner in use with this AVR?
7) Is the AVR's transformer noise louder than the noise you are hearing coming from the speakers?
8) How well is your room treaded and how far do you sit from speakers?

Cigibroke

I learned that the buzzing sound I detected was present in all 8500s, even in the A1h.
As I said, this sound is only noticeable when I put my ear very close to the speaker (2-3cm)
Denon support confirmed this and said it was normal.

Thanks for your helps and advices.

bo_knows

I learned that the buzzing sound I detected was present in all 8500s, even in the A1h.
As I said, this sound is only noticeable when I put my ear very close to the speaker (2-3cm)
Denon support confirmed this and said it was normal.

Thanks for your helps and advices.
Does that mean that you will not upgrade to A1H? :);)

Top Bottom