• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X8500H AVR Review

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hello, I have noticed the buzzing noise coming from all my 7 home theatre speakers when I put my ears close to the speaker tweeters.
Just curious, what make and model are your speakers?

Cigibroke

I have an original 8500 AVR and it's a great machine but A1H is very tempting. ;)
Of course, there are technological differences between 8500HA and A1H,
but "I think" the 3000 USD price difference is unnecessary for these differences.

Cigibroke

Just curious, what make and model are your speakers?
Monitor Audio Apex Speakers.
A10 speakers for front and surrounds. A40 speaker as center.
BTW, i tried also my Monitor Audio RX6 silver serie floorstand speaker in this setup. It had this sound too.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Monitor Audio Apex Speakers.
A10 speakers for front and surrounds. A40 speaker as center.
BTW, i tried also my Monitor Audio RX6 silver serie floorstand speaker in this setup. It had this sound too.
I thought it might be a case of high sensitivity speakers revealing any slight noise
in the AVR, but such is not the case here. The factory rated sensitivity is only 87db into 8
ohms and in my experience that number is most often exaggerated by the factory.
In short I am quite surprised your hearing any system noise?
Do you get it from all inputs, even ones that has nothing connected to it?

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Cigibroke,

As Sal1950 mentioned, you have normal or slightly below normal sensitivity loudspeakers and this "noise" shouldn't be that noticeable. I have on paper 1dB more sensitive speakers than yours and I have to turn up the volume on my AVR all the way up to hear any hissing noise from a 4-inch distance with my ear next to the tweeter. I'm impressed by how quiet this AVR is. The only thing I can hear sometimes is transformers hum but not from my main listening position.
It seems your noise is louder on your AVR than mine otherwise you would not started this thread.
It's possible that some cables inside are not properly tied up and routed. Also, if the main ribbon cable is not fully situated you will experience a horrible ground loop noise. The reason I know all this is that I went through it all with my AVR after it came back from repair. See if you can borrow/use another Denon AVR and do some comparisons.

Oh, by the way, nice looking loudspeakers you got there.

Last edited:

Cigibroke

Cigibroke,

As Sal1950 mentioned, you have normal or slightly below normal sensitivity loudspeakers and this "noise" shouldn't be that noticeable. I have on paper 1dB more sensitive speakers than yours and I have to turn up the volume on my AVR all the way up to hear any hissing noise from a 4-inch distance with my ear next to the tweeter. I'm impressed by how quiet this AVR is. The only thing I can hear sometimes is transformers hum but not from my main listening position.
It seems your noise is louder on your AVR than mine otherwise you would not started this thread.
It's possible that some cables inside are not properly tied up and routed. Also, if the main ribbon cable is not fully situated you will experience a horrible ground loop noise. The reason I know all this is that I went through it all with my AVR after it came back from repair. See if you can borrow/use another Denon AVR and do some comparisons.

Oh, by the way, nice looking loudspeakers you got there.
I can hear a very faint buzzing noise not hissing noise when i put my ears very close to tweeters (3-4cm <> 1.5 inch)
At my lestening point, i can not hear any noise from them.
Anyway, I found out that another 8500ha and even a1h had the same problem.
I intend to use this quality receiver for another 4-5 years and upgrade to another good product that is on the market at that time.
I think I've exaggerated this little buzzing problem a little too much. Thank you so much for your help.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I think I've exaggerated this little buzzing problem a little too much. Thank you so much for your help.
No problem, we're tech heads here, that's what we do.
Best of luck with your Denon, it's a great unit.
Sal

jbattman1016

I do not recommend using powered speakers as headphones, please do not sit within 2-3 cm...

bo_knows

Am I seeing this right? The original (old) receiver is still available and it's more expensive than its replacement.

1698808319725.png

Last edited:

ban25

Am I seeing this right? The original (old) receiver is still available and it's more expensive than it's replacement???

View attachment 322863
That's from a 3rd-party seller on Amazon ("Grenade Audio"). Never buy from a 3rd-party seller, it's like buying on eBay, but probably worse.

bo_knows

That's from a 3rd-party seller on Amazon ("Grenade Audio"). Never buy from a 3rd-party seller, it's like buying on eBay, but probably worse.
I already own the original 8500H but was surprised by the pricing of the old vs new model.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'd love to see a new build of the Marantz AV7706 pre/pro with the latest chip that would match
the SINAD numbers of the pre-fire Denons.

soerenssen

I have an original 8500 AVR and it's a great machine but A1H is very tempting. ;)
I found a used A1H for 4000EUR (negotiable) here in Germany, very tempting as an all-in-one device for stereo and HT. Are you driving the KEFs with the Denon or external mono blocks?

bo_knows

I found a used A1H for 4000EUR (negotiable) here in Germany, very tempting as an all-in-one device for stereo and HT. Are you driving the KEFs with the Denon or external mono blocks?
I would go for it. For me, that would be an end-game piece.

Top Bottom