• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps Denon can do this applying some market influence for lowering costs of use of Dirac products. We can hope this is one of the strategies.

Agreed, in doing what they are doing now, D+M will help DL in benefitting from the economy of scale, hopefully, eventually and when that happens, hopefully, eventually, DL will lower the price for their different versions.

Did you change the speakers to SMALL and set the crossover for the speakers at 80Hz after Audyssey was done? If you don’t do this, then you will get little to almost none bass from the subwoofer.
I was able to get more bass out of the subs changing the settings like you recommended not a lot, but they are actually producing bass. My poor MartinLogans are still lifeless and harsh sounding, and they sound worse with Audyssey turned on. When I went to demo the speakers at a few places they were running Denon AVR's so I know they can sound great. I'm going to mess around with it more this weekend.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I was able to get more bass out of the subs changing the settings like you recommended not a lot, but they are actually producing bass. My poor MartinLogans are still lifeless and harsh sounding, and they sound worse with Audyssey turned on. When I went to demo the speakers at a few places they were running Denon AVR's so I know they can sound great. I'm going to mess around with it more this weekend.

Are you using the Audyssey app or just the receiver's Audyssey? I would strongly recommend getting the Audyssey app if you have not. It's only $20.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

It is likely that Audyssey removed the room gain that you might have been used to. Below is an example from my FR graphs plotted a few years ago when I was just playing around:

Here you can see that Audyssey flatten the bass between 15 and 300 Hz significantly as it was supposed to do because Audyssey's default target curve in that range is flat.
In doing so, it cut the bass between 20 and 37 Hz, and also between 70 and 120 Hz.

The combine effect would be noticeable weaker bass. Now if your in room response has more room gain than mine, then the perceived bass cut effects could be much more.
If you purchase the $20 Editor app, you can easily put a tilt to the target curve to get the bass back to the level you prefer.

1678455637317.jpeg

Another example:

1678456097551.jpeg

And if you spent enough time on the app, you can also get it very flat, and then add a tilt to increase the deep bass:

1678456284094.jpeg

Last edited:

CyrusTheGreat_600BC

I am wondering how hard it’s to design a modular DAC board. So AKM got fire, just release another board. Later when things get better offer upgrades to that board. It’s N-channels in N-channels out easy PCB. People pay astronomical licensing fee for DIRAC, I for one willing to pay another $200 to $300 to upgrade my DAC board if Denon releases one. They make more money too.

Last edited:

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Friday is here and so the X4800H :)

74D09E36-BAD9-47A3-9109-FBAD87342302.jpeg

OP
RF Air

RF Air

Forum Donor

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Congrats! Since 1910, and 3 triggers caught my attention.. Since you sell subs, I hope you have use for all 4 subouts lol..

If the AKM version 4700 has all the features you need, and it still offers full manufacturer warranty for significantly less money than a deal on the 4800 then go for it. Otherwise may as well go for the 4800. Don't expect to hear a difference just because the 4700 (with the AKM dac chip) has a few dB higher SINAD.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Congrats! Since 1910, and 3 triggers caught my attention.. Since you sell subs, I hope you have use for all 4 subouts lol..

I have 7 subwoofers in my 2 beds apt. In the living room I have 3 subwoofers (2 x G22s + 1 x FV25HP) and in my bedroom, where the X4800H is going to be installed I have a pair of E22s but in all my systems I have a miniDSP 2x4 HD to EQ and time align the subwoofers and that is not going to change. In my office I have a single E22 and also a miniDSP FLEX TRS with DL.

CyrusTheGreat_600BC

I have 7 subwoofers in my 2 beds apt. In the living room I have 3 subwoofers (2 x G22s + 1 x FV25HP) and in my bedroom, where the X4800H is going to be installed I have a pair of E22s but in all my systems I have a miniDSP 2x4 HD to EQ and time align the subwoofers and that is not going to change. In my office I have a single E22 and also a miniDSP FLEX TRS with DL.
Wow! You’ve good neighbors! When I was up north, my condo association called in every week for noise complaints, and I only had two 10 inch subs.

ArturoKiwi

Expecting the Post anytime Today!
How could be so difficult to publish a review already written, at least the most part of it?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Heads-up for those with Harmony Elite remotes. The X4800H is still not in Harmony’s database. You have to select X4700H until the X4800H is added.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It is likely that Audyssey removed the room gain that you might have been used to. Below is an example from my FR graphs plotted a few years ago when I was just playing around:

Here you can see that Audyssey flatten the bass between 15 and 300 Hz significantly as it was supposed to do because Audyssey's default target curve in that range is flat.
In doing so, it cut the bass between 20 and 37 Hz, and also between 70 and 120 Hz.

The combine effect would be noticeable weaker bass. Now if your in room response has more room gain than mine, then the perceived bass cut effects could be much more.
If you purchase the $20 Editor app, you can easily put a tilt to the target curve to get the bass back to the level you prefer.

View attachment 270651

Another example:

View attachment 270653

And if you spent enough time on the app, you can also get it very flat, and then add a tilt to increase the deep bass:

View attachment 270655
Very informative post. I had the same feeling of 'missing' bass when I switched from an Onkyo receiver without sub EQ to my current Denon. It is very easy to assume something is wrong!

Top Bottom