• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X6800H now released.

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just noticed that the AVR-X6800H is now available on the U.S. Denon website. (Can add to cart for $3499).

The AVC-X6800H doesn't seem to be released in the U.K. yet, but the AVC-A1H is now selling for £4999 at Peter Tyson, Richer Sounds, Sevenoaks etc. (Down from £5999).

Anyone got an idea of the usual delay between U.S. and U.K. release dates?

Before it became available on the US site there was a page listing the AVR-6800H as out of stock (perhaps for a month or two). In the past week or so I've noticed a similar page on the UK Denon site with a price of £2899 for the AVC-X6800H (but out of stock).

Last edited:

soerenssen

You still have to pay additional for any Dirac-related products. I'd rather have the RZ70 all day, every day!
With the x6800h you get 2 more Atmos channels (processing only), 2 more sub outs and 2 more trigger outs, so it will come down to features. It would be nice to see some measurements too for the Onkyo / Pioneer / Integra. With the x6800h at least you have an idea, based on the measurements of lower and higher tier models.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
I'll consider an AV receiver from Onkyo, Pioneer, or Integra when it is confirmed Voxx/Sharp is no longer building current models with a circuit to throttle output power as measured by Amir in his reviews of the Pioneer VSX--LX505 and the Onkyo TX-RX50 AV receivers.

OP
M

-Matt-

...and front wides

...and Audyssey if not planning to use Dirac

...and directional bass

Can the Onkyo detatch its power amps to improve pre-out performance?

scotchrocks

Forum Donor
The S/N ratio is listed for the X6800H as 102 dB; this is the same that Denon claims for the X8500HA. Hopefully, third party measurements will be able to confirm this, but it's probably fairly representative since Masimo knows it's going to be measured. They don't bother listing S/N ratios for the X4800H.

This looks like it could be a real winner.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The S/N ratio is listed for the X6800H as 102 dB; this is the same that Denon claims for the X8500HA. Hopefully, third party measurements will be able to confirm this, but it's probably fairly representative since Masimo knows it's going to be measured. They don't bother listing S/N ratios for the X4800H.

This looks like it could be a real winner.
They do list the same 102 dB for the 4800. Sadly, I don't see anything remarkable about the 6800, I was hoping they would use a better dac such as the ES9010, but they stick with TI and one that is 1 dB better than the PCM5102A (based on what I read from somewhere, that it was the PCM1690, but I don't remember, and could not find the source, so the info may not be accurate) , why would they not at least go with the better TI dac chip such as the ones they used for the older flagship, the 4520 is beyond me.

Last edited:
OP
M

-Matt-

They do list the same 102 dB for the 4800. Sadly, I don't see anything remarkable about the 6800, I was hoping they would use a better dac such as the ES9010, but they stick with TI and one that is 1 dB better than the 5102A, why would they at least go with the better TI dac chip they used for the older flagship, the 4520 is beyond me.

Leaving a bit more incentive on the table for those who could afford the A1H I guess. Sadly that would be too much of a stretch for me (even at the reduced price), hence the appeal of the 6800. (I need/want front wides).

Where are you seeing the information about which dac chips the 6800 has?

The only document I've seen had 4800, 6700 and A1H but no 6800.
Here

1000024949.jpg

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Leaving a bit more incentive on the table for those who could afford the A1H I guess. Sadly that would be too much of a stretch for me (even at the reduced price), hence the appeal of the 6800. (I need/want front wides).

Where are you seeing the information about which dac chips the 6800 has?
Sorry, I don't remember the source, but I believe it was a credible one, otherwise I would not have said anything about it. Regardless, I will edit the post accordingly just so people don't take it as fact. If I can find the original source I will post link this time.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
They do list the same 102 dB for the 4800. Sadly, I don't see anything remarkable about the 6800, I was hoping they would use a better dac such as the ES9010, but they stick with TI and one that is 1 dB better than the PCM5102A (based on what I read from somewhere, that it was the PCM1690, but I don't remember, and could not find the source, so the info may not be accurate) , why would they not at least go with the better TI dac chip such as the ones they used for the older flagship, the 4520 is beyond me.
Has AKM brought chips back to market,yet? I could not find any information for the Dac either. I cannot imagine paying over 3k for this product with the TI dac.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I'll consider an AV receiver from Onkyo, Pioneer, or Integra when it is confirmed Voxx/Sharp is no longer building current models with a circuit to throttle output power as measured by Amir in his reviews of the Pioneer VSX--LX505 and the Onkyo TX-RX50 AV receivers.
Similar circuits are present and have been noted in Denon, Yamaha and other brands...

Onkyo have theirs set a bit more sensitive than many of their competitors - on the other hand, I have seen no reports of it being triggered in real world use.

This is constantly raised - but find me someone who has actually experienced it in their setup!

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Similar circuits are present and have been noted in Denon, Yamaha and other brands...

Onkyo have theirs set a bit more sensitive than many of their competitors - on the other hand, I have seen no reports of it being triggered in real world use.

This is constantly raised - but find me someone who has actually experienced it in their setup!

Perhaps. My speculation is Voxx International and Sharp inherited this design from Onkyo and that Onkyo made their circuit more sensitive to reduce the risk of warranty claims when Onkyo was losing money. I think Denon has shown that a less sensitive circuit can be performant.

OP
M

-Matt-

Has AKM brought chips back to market,yet? I could not find any information for the Dac either. I cannot imagine paying over 3k for this product with the TI dac.

<pure_speculation>
I think AKM dacs would be highly unlikely (but would be happy to be proved wrong). It is slightly more possible that the 6800 might get ones similar to those in the 8500. But this is just dreaming - in all liklihood they will be the same as were in the 6700 (which were fine by the way).
</pure_speculation>

Last edited:

rana_kirti

will it be able to beat the Yamaha A8A/A6A twins in sound quality?

Im keenly interested in the x6800 for it's number of channels.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
will it be able to beat the Yamaha A8A/A6A twins in sound quality?

Im keenly interested in the x6800 for it's number of channels.
I was trying to do the weird math of Denon. I spent 1k on the 3800 and didn't like it. I was prepared to spend 1k on the Dirac suite with the sneaky hope that the DART would be usable in the 3800. I assumed another 1k for that. That is close to the cost of this amp. Maybe if I invested in this now and got a paper route I could do it over time.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
With the x6800h you get 2 more Atmos channels (processing only), 2 more sub outs and 2 more trigger outs, so it will come down to features. It would be nice to see some measurements too for the Onkyo / Pioneer / Integra. With the x6800h at least you have an idea, based on the measurements of lower and higher tier models.
Features mentioned sound reasonable for massive price difference.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The value on this relative to the 3800 or 4800 at current discounts is pretty terrible tbh, especially if you want to use Dirac ART(eventually )and need to consider the license costs as well.

That said it's all relative, it's still a lot better value than Storm Audio or whatever. :)

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I was trying to do the weird math of Denon. I spent 1k on the 3800 and didn't like it. I was prepared to spend 1k on the Dirac suite with the sneaky hope that the DART would be usable in the 3800. I assumed another 1k for that. That is close to the cost of this amp. Maybe if I invested in this now and got a paper route I could do it over time.
Audibility of the differences between the AVR's (at least at the prepro level) is highly arguable - there are however feature differences.
The amps do have differences and so do the power supplies, so if you have speakers that require more power or (more likely) more current - there can be reasons to go up the range... on the other hand, you can achieve the same result more economically by purchasing appropriate external power amps... so there can be different approaches to the value equation.

If the X3800 has sufficient channels and features to meet your needs, then it, in combination with external power amps if needed, is likely to sound just as good (in fact identical) to even gold plated flagship models (like the A1)

Top Bottom