• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RF Air

Forum Donor
Received the Denon notification and was able to add it to my Denon.com Cart for purchase. Not sure if I want to wait on Test results, still need an AVR with it's capabilities, but already expect disappointment after the 3800 Review. Undecided :confused:

OP
RF Air

RF Air

Forum Donor
Just ordered. I should have it next week. :)
Hello @NoCoYeti ,
I see you were viewing the X3800H when it came out in October. I was considering the same but was a little disappointed, and held off on my AVR replacement purchase. I am curious how you made the decision to buy the X4800H? I think we have similar considerations and expectations for performance, but would like your insight if you care to share. Thank you! RF Air

NoCoYeti

Hello @NoCoYeti ,
I see you were viewing the X3800H when it came out in October. I was considering the same but was a little disappointed, and held off on my AVR replacement purchase. I am curious how you made the decision to buy the X4800H? I think we have similar considerations and expectations for performance, but would like your insight if you care to share. Thank you! RF Air
Hey RF Air,

I was monitoring the information available for the 3800 since it was released first but my intentions were always to purchase the 4800 (preordered in September). I prefer the 4800 for the larger display, monolithic amp layout, and the fact that it is built in Japan.

At this point it is almost tradition for me to purchase the 4XXX series. :)

My first and probably favorite receiver was the original 4800 which I had to part with to upgrade to the latest HDMI standard at the time. Then I purchased the 4311 but it had a dolby digital bug so Denon swapped it out for the 4250 for only $300. Then due to HDMI again, I sold the 4250 and picked up my current 4400 which I will be moving to my family room and use the X4800H for my home theater which needs HDMI 2.1.

Did I mention I hate HDMI? :) I am hoping that HDMI 2.1 will meet my needs for hopefully 7 to 10 years. <fingers crossed>

What is your thinking between the two models?

OP
RF Air

RF Air

Forum Donor
Hey RF Air,

I was monitoring the information available for the 3800 since it was released first but my intentions were always to purchase the 4800 (preordered in September). I prefer the 4800 for the larger display, monolithic amp layout, and the fact that it is built in Japan.

At this point it is almost tradition for me to purchase the 4XXX series. :)

My first and probably favorite receiver was the original 4800 which I had to part with to upgrade to the latest HDMI standard at the time. Then I purchased the 4311 but it had a dolby digital bug so Denon swapped it out for the 4250 for only $300. Then due to HDMI again, I sold the 4250 and picked up my current 4400 which I will be moving to my family room and use the X4800H for my home theater which needs HDMI 2.1.

Did I mention I hate HDMI? :) I am hoping that HDMI 2.1 will meet my needs for hopefully 7 to 10 years. <fingers crossed>

What is your thinking between the two models?
Hi @NoCoYeti ,

I have a Denon AVR 5600 (recently popped to "Protect") which served me great for 5.1, but the Video and age of the unit had become obsolete for current world operation. I use McIntosh Amps for driving my 5 Channels, so it was fine since I connected directly to the TV for video. I have upgraded my TV recently so the need for updating my AVR was apparent, especially with advancements in DSP and REW. Added new Subs which are configured of FL & FR Stereo for 2 Channel with the consideration of 4 Subs for Home Theater. I am also using the HEOS with Denon for other Room Speakers, so married to D & M products if I want the advantage of convenience with the Denon Brand.

Because I saw the 2020 year 3800 and 4800 come out with orphaned HDMI that required Denon to fix, I waited for the Denon 2022 versions to come out. I like the X4800H because it was a Japanese Manufacture and had the new Amp Structure with the 2 Line Display and Jitter Chip. Basically the same reasons you mentioned. I intend to add more speakers for Atmos HT, so this added to my desire to go with the new Denon. I liked the X4800H Amp Output for my Surround's since I drive a good bit of power for 5 Channels and Subs.

The X3800H is probably a good unit for the price with 4 Subs, new GUI, Dirac and onboard upgrades. I think my disappointment from Amir's Testing of the X3800H made me hold off and wait to justify the X4800H as a purchase as long as there was a consensus of new X3800H users who were not disappointed with their purchases after a couple months of use and tweaking.

ArturoKiwi

I think that, if you are ok with the dac performance of the x800 series (X3800H, X4800H) and you are using external aplification, there is no reason to buy a X4800H instrad of the X3800H.
Don't they have the same characteristics apart from amplifier power?

OP
RF Air

RF Air

Forum Donor
I think that, if you are ok with the dac performance of the x800 series (X3800H, X4800H) and you are using external aplification, there is no reason to buy a X4800H instrad of the X3800H.
Don't they have the same characteristics apart from amplifier power?
I like the X4800H because it was a Japanese Manufacture and had the new Amp Structure with the 2 Line Display and Jitter Chip. The unit will offer me a little more flexibility with some features that are not available in the 3800.

sask15

Picked up my 4800 today. No issues getting it up and running, no glitches. Sounds excellent. No flicker when locking on to video sources when first turned on like the 4700 would. Nice user friendly menu, no noisy fans. Very happy with it right out of the box.

Last edited:

sask15

Thats great. thanks for sending it to him to test, interested in the results although might not be too much for surprises over the 3800. Hopefully not for the worse.

Last edited:
OP
RF Air

RF Air

Forum Donor
Thats great. thanks for sending it to him to test, interested in the results although might not be too much for surprises over the 3800. Hopefully not for the worse.
That's my hope, everything I need for my HT is here including the Amp rating. I use Outboard Amps for LCR & SR SL, needing Amps for Atmos. Ultimately looking for 5.3.4.

NoCoYeti

I have had my 4800 for about two weeks and I am really enjoying it.

I am hoping his test results show no audible issues which would match my experience.

In other words, I don’t care about any specs that only a bat could hear.

Last edited:
OP
RF Air

RF Air

Forum Donor
I have had my 4800 for about two weeks and I am really enjoying it.

I am hoping his test results show no audible issues which would match my experience
THAT IS GREAT! I have been curious to know your experience with your 4800. If you are not experiencing any issues and are happy with the performance, that is an encouragement for me.

sask15

No problems for me either with the 4800 but still have the 5 flashes prior to the video locking on and staying on. I have a JVC projector and older Panasonic GT50 plasma tv connected and if either of them is unplugged or if one output is turned off it doesn’t do it. i only have one device turned on at a time but still does it. 4700 did it to and was hoping the 4800 wouldn’t with the higher HDMI voltage. Denon said it was EDID related. Not sure what kind of device/cable might help with this, overall not a big deal just that the picture flashes around 4-5 times before actually staying on for good. Other than that no issues whatsoever.

NoCoYeti

Hey RF air,

I am really enjoying my new 4800. I have had absolutely no issues with it and I really enjoy both the new GUI and the web interface. When I wanted to rename the HDMI ports I started doing it via the GUI then realized screw this and switched over to the web interface, which was much faster for typing.

My set up is a 7.2.4 with two sets of side surrounds. I have a 2022 Apple TV 4K hooked up to it along with a PS5 and Xbox series X.

When I first hooked up the game systems, I did not set up the ports correctly, so VRR was not working, but all I needed to do was set the ports to 8K in the Denon and I was good to go for both.

I did use the PC based Audyssey app but I need to run it again since one of my subs died right before I received the new AVR. I’ll run it again when it gets back from being repaired.

If there’s anything else you’d like to know, just ask.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey RF air,

I am really enjoying my new 4800. I have had absolutely no issues with it and I really enjoy both the new GUI and the web interface. When I wanted to rename the HDMI ports I started doing it via the GUI then realized screw this and switched over to the web interface, which was much faster for typing.

My set up is a 7.2.4 with two sets of side surrounds. I have a 2022 Apple TV 4K hooked up to it along with a PS5 and Xbox series X.

When I first hooked up the game systems, I did not set up the ports correctly, so VRR was not working, but all I needed to do was set the ports to 8K in the Denon and I was good to go for both.

I did use the PC based Audyssey app but I need to run it again since one of my subs died right before I received the new AVR. I’ll run it again when it gets back from being repaired.

If there’s anything else you’d like to know, just ask.

Can the MultEQ X do 4 subwoofer time alignment yet, or still waiting for a FW update?

Top Bottom