• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!
OP
RF Air

RF Air

Forum Donor
Home made product closer to D+M heart (ahhh!) or more likely Mr/Mrs D+M engineer on leave so Amir's numbers have just sat on someone's desk.
Actually, there was a Vacation last week in Japan (or maybe for Denon Japan) so it's likely the work did sit in the Inbox.

Actually, there was a Vacation last week in Japan (or maybe for Denon Japan) so it's likely the work did sit in the Inbox.
I don't think there has been a recent public holiday so maybe more like someone was on personal leave. Either way, please post tomorrow or else the conspiracy theorists will fill the vacuum :)

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I didn't I will try this when I get home tonight.
From my signature, download the Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers Guide. While written for Rythmik Audio subwoofers customers, it works the same with any subwoofer brand/model if you have a receiver equipped with Auddysey. Follow the steeps and recommendations and you will get a successful calibration/setup.

Carycinema

I didn't I will try this when I get home tonight.
I have my front speakers set to full range because they are and the subwoofer works great. I get big bass slam so I don't get why some are saying to put a crossover of 80hz. That's only if speakers are not full range. The subwoofer is supposed to be its own info separate from the fronts bass, hence the .1 track of ex. Dolby Atmos. Unless you choose option to run sub info through your fronts.

ArturoKiwi

Denon responded to Amir with the 3800 measurements. Denon asked him to wait on the 4800 until they could respond, which Denon has not responded yet. Amir has notified them earlier today (late night Thurs Japan) he will publish this week and he is still waiting to hear from them. It's just after midnight currently in Japan, Friday work day begins in 8 hours so I will not expect anything from Denon for at least another 10 hours later today, at the earliest.
As I suppose, it was me missing something.
I'll go searching the Denon reply. I'm curious

OP
RF Air

RF Air

Forum Donor
As I suppose, it was me missing something.
I'll go searching the Denon reply. I'm curious
It was in Amir's X3800H review where he stated: "I grabbed a preliminary set of measurements from the DAC section of the 3800H and ran it by the company. Within typical margin of error, the measurements were the same as company's own."

Rockman2

Denon responded to Amir with the 3800 measurements. Denon asked him to wait on the 4800 until they could respond, which Denon has not responded yet. Amir has notified them earlier today (late night Thurs Japan) he will publish this week and he is still waiting to hear from them. It's just after midnight currently in Japan, Friday work day begins in 8 hours so I will not expect anything from Denon for at least another 10 hours later today, at the earliest.
Totaly understand Amir wanting to give Denon time but......Like I said in an earlier post. They probably are not happy with him in regards to 3700 review. If I remember correctly, Amir has been reaching out to Denon for about 3 weeks and probably once or twice this week already. They are selling units every day. Just spit ballin, but every day it is not posted probbly generates more sales for them. Even if the test is better, Amir is covering the DAC's and may effect a purchase decision by a reader, which Denon hates. It is a given that they are not addressing this in a timely manner and purposely dragging their feet. Definitely hard to wait as I own one that may be going back. But I do understand Amir's position and appreciate what he dose for us! Thanks to Amir and the people who take the time to send equipment in.

OP
RF Air

RF Air

Forum Donor
Totaly understand Amir wanting to give Denon time but......Like I said in an earlier post. They probably are not happy with him in regards to 3700 review. If I remember correctly, Amir has been reaching out to Denon for about 3 weeks and probably once or twice this week already. They are selling units every day. Just spit ballin, but every day it is not posted probbly generates more sales for them. Even if the test is better, Amir is covering the DAC's and may effect a purchase decision by a reader, which Denon hates. It is a given that they are not addressing this in a timely manner and purposely dragging their feet. Definitely hard to wait as I own one that may be going back. But I do understand Amir's position and appreciate what he dose for us! Thanks to Amir and the people who take the time to send equipment in.
I can understand your frustration. I've been waiting for the unit so that I can set-up my HT with the new unit.

Conversely, I see this situation differently probably due to my involvement with Amir and the testing of my AVR. I will say that there is nothing at this time that makes me feel negative about the purchase of the 4800. I expect it will exceed my expectations after the 3800 results disappointed me. Amir has stated that the 4800 is not as regressive from the 4700, compared to the 3800/3700.

My expectation is that the unit will be a keeper for me. The numbers are better than the 3800 and guessing they are pretty close to the 4700, as Amir has eluded. With respect, it's his work and relationship at stake. I honor his efforts and believe he has earned great respect. I infer that Denon considers his results are important for consideration and respects what ASR represents for their efforts of product development and reputation.

I appreciate that Amir has a working professional relationship among some of his colleagues in the industry. Not all manufacturers give him this courtesy which speaks volumes to me as to the character of Denon. I don't want to sound like a Fanboy, but my experience with Denon has been outstanding for a long time. It's great that Amir has the same.

This cooperation serves to benefit all parties. Amir has commented he has had some of the best cooperation with a manufacturer through his relationship with the Engineering team at Denon. Awkwardly, the Company is going through changes. This confusion and change is unfortunate and my guess, this is responsible for the delay. Regardless, Amir has drawn the line and will likely publish this week. He's communicated this to Denon and we'll have his Review. I am excited for the results!

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can understand your frustration. I've been waiting for the unit so that I can set-up my HT with the new unit.

Conversely, I see this situation differently probably due to my involvement with Amir and the testing of my AVR. I will say that there is nothing at this time that makes me feel negative about the purchase of the 4800. I expect it will exceed my expectations after the 3800 results disappointed me. Amir has stated that the 4800 is not as regressive from the 4700, compared to the 3800/3700.

My expectation is that the unit will be a keeper for me. The numbers are better than the 3800 and guessing they are pretty close to the 4700, as Amir has eluded. With respect, it's his work and relationship at stake. I honor his efforts and believe he has earned great respect. I infer that Denon considers his results are important for consideration and respects what ASR represents for their efforts of product development and reputation.

I appreciate that Amir has a working professional relationship among some of his colleagues in the industry. Not all manufacturers give him this courtesy which speaks volumes to me as to the character of Denon. I don't want to sound like a Fanboy, but my experience with Denon has been outstanding for a long time. It's great that Amir has the same.

This cooperation serves to benefit all parties. Amir has commented he has had some of the best cooperation with a manufacturer through his relationship with the Engineering team at Denon. Sadly the Company is going through changes. This confusion and change is unfortunate and my guess, this is responsible for the delay. Regardless, Amir has drawn the line and will likely publish this week. He's communicated this to Denon and we'll have his Review. I am excited for the results!

Agreed, and I think mainly because of Amir, there is a good chance in a year or so, D+M will use a dac that will result in 96 to 99 dB SINAD just to quiet down noises on forums. Oliver sort of hinted that in his Masimo video. As long as the 4800 measured a few dB better (such as 90 to 93 dB SINAD) than the 3800, it is a keeper class avr.

90 dB SINAD = 0.0031% THD+N

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hopefully the X4800H breaks 90 dB. The PCM5102 is only rated to 93 db THD. This it's like giving up some sinad in 2ch audio, but gaining Dirac, 4 subs, etc.

The Marantz AV8805 sounds pretty good to most people and that was only 91 dB. The 8805A got to 93 dB.

Rockman2

This cooperation serves to benefit all parties. Amir has commented he has had some of the best cooperation with a manufacturer through his relationship with the Engineering team at Denon. Sadly the Company is going through changes. This confusion and change is unfortunate and my guess, this is responsible for the delay. Regardless, Amir has drawn the line and will likely publish this week. He's communicated this to Denon and we'll have his Review. I am excited for the results!
Do you know if Amir and time to do the extra channel Peng spoke about in post #100?

bungle

I have my front speakers set to full range because they are and the subwoofer works great. I get big bass slam so I don't get why some are saying to put a crossover of 80hz. That's only if speakers are not full range. The subwoofer is supposed to be its own info separate from the fronts bass, hence the .1 track of ex. Dolby Atmos. Unless you choose option to run sub info through your fronts.
I have set the speakers large as well, but I route 2.1 to subwoofer (so 3 cables to sub inputs). Subwoofer then does cross-over at around 85 Hz. The mains get signal from subwoofer (so two cables from sub outputs). You don't in general want to play them at the same time the same frequencies. If they are not in exact phase (which is probably a case), all sort of problems may start to happen (shown as peaks and nulls in frequency response - together they may boost or cancel each other). It is in general advised to put a crossover. The .1 is special that it is recorded at -10db (more head room) (the .1 capable receivers in general boost it back +10db before feeding it to sub).

I know, some of us may use subwoofer only for .1 and in that case it probably doesn't matter much if there is crossover or not (movie special effects).

Last edited:
OP
RF Air

RF Air

Forum Donor
Do you know if Amir and time to do the extra channel Peng spoke about in post #100?
I do not know if the 3rd Channel test was done. I asked for some tests that were similar in scope to see the behavior of the Preamp Mode capability and Driven Amplifier load for 3 and 5 channels at 4 ohms. I think he is aware of Peng's request, but I do not have anything yet. Waiting with everyone for the published review. :)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

In most cases, set to small will be better because there will be less chance for the truly full range speakers to interfere with the subwoofer's bass in a negative way.

Even with Dirac' DLBC that does both time and phase alignment, I found setting XO manually to 90 Hz yielded better results as my towers -3dB point is about 25 Hz and they don't play nice with the two subs.

In your case you may just have a great speaker/room combination that does not result in much cancellation between your full range speakers and subs.

Last edited:

Carycinema

In most cases, set to small will be better because there will be less chance for the truly full range speakers to interfere with the subwoofer's bass in a negative way.

Even with Dirac' DLBC that does both time and phase alignment, I found setting XO manually to 90 Hz yielded better results as my towers -3dB point is about 25 Hz and they don't play nice with the two subs.

In your case you may just have a great speaker/room combination that does not result in much cancellation between your full range speakers and subs.
Yes that's true. It's all about the room. I am using 1 sub now but I have another 2 to make it 3. I also have a Velodyne SMS-1 and I can tell you it works awesome to blend main speakers and all your subs. I can get my room response pretty flat and then save presets that boost what I want in bass region. It's a shame they don't make it anymore. When I get time I am going to set them all up and see how Audyssey with using app handles versus using the Velodyne Sms.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I owned a SMS-1 like 15 years ago and sold it after getting my first miniDSP 2x4. The miniDSP 2x4 HD or FLEX are miles away from the SMS-1. Fist, the SMS-1 only goes down to 15Hz. I get flat response with my miniDSPs down to 7Hz. Sell the SMS-1 and get a miniDSP 2x4 HD. You have no idea what you are missing for still using such an obsolete and limited DSP like the SMS-1.

Carycinema

I owned a SMS-1 like 15 years ago and sold it after getting my first miniDSP 2x4. The miniDSP 2x4 HD or FLEX are miles away from the SMS-1. Fist, the SMS-1 only goes down to 15Hz. I get flat response with my miniDSPs down to 7Hz. Sell the SMS-1 and get a miniDSP 2x4 HD. You have no idea what you are missing for still using such an obsolete and limited DSP like the SMS-1.
Nice! I am wondering about Dirac live with bass control coming soon how that will work out for us.

OP
RF Air

RF Air

Forum Donor
Nice! I am wondering about Dirac live with bass control coming soon how that will work out for us.
I am encouraged with the Masimo presentation that there is more technology being developed as future Dirac applications to the Denon products. Dirac has developed a product which Denon has obviously invested towards applying with great enthusiasm. I think that Denon is requiring time with development to implement Dirac full feature (and future features) in their products. Perhaps Denon can do this applying some market influence for lowering costs of use of Dirac products. We can hope this is one of the strategies.

OP
RF Air

RF Air

Forum Donor
Amir has been in contact with Denon late this evening. Amir is working the final touches on the test results and will Post the Denon AVR-X4800H Review Friday (US).

Last edited:
Top Bottom