• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 22.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 177 54.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 68 20.8%

• Total voters

Joost80

That’s a very reassuring review as a 4800
Owner !
Nice to read that review indeed, but after owning my 4800h for months I didn't need any additional prove it is a really good receiver! Best addition to my game and movie 7.1.4 setup i bought in years.

supermood

good day. does the 4800h really have an 100mbit card? Hard to believe in 2024! but I'm having an orange light here on a 10 port switch and only cat7 cables

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
good day. does the 4800h really have an 100mbit card? Hard to believe in 2024! but I'm having an orange light here on a 10 port switch and only cat7 cables
Yes. It's unfortunately quite common on consumer gear, including many TVs. Hopefully it does not negatively impact the performance of Roon streaming when that feature is released.

popej

does the 4800h really have an 100mbit card? Hard to believe in 2024! but I'm having an orange light here on a 10 port switch
If you have a switch, then speed of a single port doesn't hamper other ports. 100Mb is more than enough for uploading firmware, remote control and audio transfer. It would allow for 20 channels of uncompressed PCM 192/24.

supermood

I know that it doesn't affect the other ports? not the topic.

have problems to believe that shit decision of integrating a 100mbit card. and for some things you could do with the device that's by far to slow. Lucky me I'm using specific devices for that. you could sometime check your 20 channels pcm theory but thats completely wrong imho. the 10mbit effective is not even enough for a good tidal mqa quality, which could be streamed via internal heos I guess?
or maybe not I've learned about so many heos restrictions in the meantime... who know..

supermood

Yes. It's unfortunately quite common on consumer gear, including many TVs. Hopefully it does not negatively impact the performance of Roon streaming when that feature is released.
puhh bad... but thanks! they are hiding that info very good. not a word in the manual or spec sheets or every site I found..

I have a oled 4 or 5 years old with 1gig. and needed with dv movies without the receiver / external streaming device. sometimes 80mbit/s load...

ban25

puhh bad... but thanks! they are hiding that info very good. not a word in the manual or spec sheets or every site I found..

I have a oled 4 or 5 years old with 1gig. and needed with dv movies without the receiver / external streaming device. sometimes 80mbit/s load...
Yeah it's annoying. For my Sony X900H TV, I have to hang a USB dongle off of it to get GigE.

supermood

Yeah it's annoying. For my Sony X900H TV, I have to hang a USB dongle off of it to get GigE.
unbelievable! that's 3 eur more per device with their prices best guess... lucky you they've given you an usb 2 at least otherwise that wouldn't work...

supermood

What things?

20*24bit*192000/sek=92.16Mbit/sek
Or am I wrong?
these things.
streaming own dsd and flac and atmos and whatever files with it ?

as said the UI/UX is not for me I stream different but in general it's a good idea to minimize electronic devices and energy consumption...

yeah your math is great :) I was also always good in it :)
the problem is you don't get 100mbit with a 100mbit card. usually a 10th of it, maybe 12 mbit if I remember correctly there are calculators for it available with google etc...

you can be lucky to get 110mbit with a perfect 1 gig setup to my knowledge

popej

that's 3 eur more per device with their prices best guess...
Ethernet interface is probably a part of microcontroller, kind of freebie. Upgrading to gigabit could mean some major redesign.

ofc

Ethernet interface is probably a part of microcontroller, kind of freebie. Upgrading to gigabit could mean some major redesign.

This. And with Gigabit we might end up with more HF noise as well... And it uses (slightly) more power than Fast Ethernet. So why even bother if there is no benefit and only potentially negative impact?

In TV sets this is a different story as video streaming may actually require higher bandwidths, but in an AVR we are talking about audio only.

McRobert

I believe you are confused about this. I don't think there are any televisions with 1G ports, only 100M. There is no need for 1G ports because 100M is enough for streaming. If you have proof of some tv that has 1G port, please post the specs link.

Uhd bluray remux bitrate is about 50-100Mbps, so you can use a 100M port for that too. I have done it many times with a 100M router and apple tv 4k.

So why would you need 1G port for avr? You won't stream uhd blurays through avr ethernet anyway. You stream with external streamer and connect it to your avr via HDMI.

Can you elaborate, how would the 1G port benefit you in practice?

ban25

I believe you are confused about this. I don't think there are any televisions with 1G ports, only 100M. There is no need for 1G ports because 100M is enough for streaming. If you have proof of some tv that has 1G port, please post the specs link.

Uhd bluray remux bitrate is about 50-100Mbps, so you can use a 100M port for that too. I have done it many times with a 100M router and apple tv 4k.

So why would you need 1G port for avr? You won't stream uhd blurays through avr ethernet anyway. You stream with external streamer and connect it to your avr via HDMI.

Can you elaborate, how would the 1G port benefit you in practice?
Wrong.

jhwalker

Can you explain which of the multiple statements in the referenced post is "wrong"?

I am also unaware of any TV currently produced that includes gig Ethernet.

And since they obviously work with all the current streaming solutions, it's clear the 10 / 100 ports ARE sufficient for current streaming demands.

2therock

Hello, I am interested in this receiver in a stand alone setup streaming TV and music playback in a variety of ways from stereo to across my 7.1 setup.

Cutting through the chase my questions are about the unit heat and performance without external amplifiers? Will it be good to rock My 4 ohm & 6 ohm Speakers? I don't continuously blast but will turn up the fun parts and rewind to catch them again with more volume.
The page has not been updated in years but the speakers and SC-75 pioneer are still here and I run a LG OLED C3 55. Need to update the tech over the SC-75.
I see folks adding fan units and ponder how long it takes for them to need to be opened and dusted.

Thanks

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, I am interested in this receiver in a stand alone setup streaming TV and music playback in a variety of ways from stereo to across my 7.1 setup.

Cutting through the chase my questions are about the unit heat and performance without external amplifiers? Will it be good to rock My 4 ohm & 6 ohm Speakers? I don't continuously blast but will turn up the fun parts and rewind to catch them again with more volume.
This sort of questions keep popping up, it is a good example of the effects of exaggerated talks from print magazines and of course the internet in recent years.
The fact is, impedance is just one factor, to answer your question you have to consider at least the following:

- Distance, speaker sensitivity,
- Impedance curve, 4 ohm, 6 ohm etc., are just single values on the frequency axis, it is better to obtain the impedance vs frequency curve.
- Phase angle, to address your concern about heat dissipation in your receiver, or even external power amp, phase angle vs frequency could also be a factor.
- Most importantly, how "loud" you listen is an important factor.

Numerical examples in support of he above:

- The sound pressure level at your listening position is related to distance, example: a speaker that produces 90 dB at 1 meter, will produce 84 dB at 2 meters, 78 dB at 4 meters.
- A speaker that has impedance averaging 6 ohms in the range 20-200 Hz may be more "difficult to drive" than a speaker that has a couple of 3 to 4 ohms dip in the 20-60 Hz but above 8 ohms everywhere else on the frequency axis.
- An so called 8 ohm nominal speaker that has nominal impedance >35 degrees, or much higher in the 20-300 Hz (just an example) could cause the amplifiers/receivers to heat up more than 4 ohm nominal speaker that has phase angle below 20 degrees in the same frequency range.
- To perceive (probably not all but most people) twice as loud, you may need about 6 to 10 dB more "power", that means if you enjoy listening at say 80 dB average level, with peaks to 100 dB, you will need 10 times more power than someone who enjoys 70 dB average, 90 dB peak. That also means 4 ohms speakers may not be a concern for someone who sits say only 3 meters from their speakers and they enjoy 70 dB average, and could not even tolerate 80 dB average for any more than a few second, but it could be a real concern for someone who frequently listen to 80 dB average on material that have 100 dB peak or higher.

You can ignore all of the above if you just size your receiver or amp to allow for the worse case, for example, if the speaker spec says recommended 20-100 W, you get them an amp, or receiver conservatively rated 120 W to 150 W 8 ohms, or external amps rated 200 W/300 W 8/4 ohms (better, obviously).

My point in my long post is simply that it is not a Yes/No answer to your simple question.

Top Bottom