• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 22.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 177 54.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 68 20.8%

• Total voters

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Today received Fosi ZA3 amplifier to power my rear heights with 11.1.4 setup setup, previously my rear heights were powered by my old behemoth Onkyo AVR TX-SR805. Connected Fosi ZA3 amp with mono 3.5mm trigger cable. When I turn on X4800 the Fosi amp turns on, but X4800 internal amps stay off, no relay click also, speaker setup shows only rear height channels as Pre-Out. Turn off X4800 and the Fosi turns off. The trigger function is working.
Also with connected trigger cable there is humming noise from speakers that are connected to Fosi. Turn everything off, unplug the trigger cable, switch on and the humming noise is gone and the X4800 internal amps are on. The trigger cable is OK, tested with multimeter 0.1 Ohm resistance and no short circuit. Can't figure out what is causing this, ZA3 or X4800 :(
Not sure about the first issue with the internal amps, however, the hum is caused by a ground loop. You need to run a ground wire from the Fosi to the ground lug on the X4800H (next to the phono input). I checked and the Fosi does not have a lug (what a POS!), so you will need to attach it to a screw on the chassis or otherwise improvise a solution.

GSil

Found the problem with the 4800X trigger. For Fosi ZA3 trigger input a stereo 3.5mm, jack must be used. Looks like the mono jack caused a short circuit in the 12v power line in the X4800 and the speaker amp relays did not turn on. Changed the trigger cable from mono to stereo, no humm and the X4800 amps turn on.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
This guy is using C weighting so he can’t measure the increase in bass in the front speakers below 100Hz as the level gets lower. The biggest facepalm moment of my life.
He is not someone I pay any attention to. I like to watch you tube reviewers..but he misses stuff that seems obvious. I always check after watching his videos.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
1) As you now realize I don't have the 3700, my potential candidates for doing what I want in one of my 2 ch system are:
a) X3600H, X3700H, even X3500H, but I don't thing I can find one new, and am always skeptical of used ones that are out of warranty.
b) MOTU M4, but I am not sure if I spent $400 on the M4, how would I do volume control, to pair it with a 4 channel preamp or 2X2ch preamp is not going to be tricky.
c) Give up on using 2 subs with my BMRs, but just 1, in that case DLBC would seem under utilized, though with the discounts I wouldn't complaining much about it.

Ideally, I would like to use a real 2.2 receiver or integrated amp but there is no such animal that I am aware of. If Dirac has a smart and more risk taking marketing team, they would work with the likes of D+M, NAD, Arcam etc., to market a real 2.2 device instead of settling on the silly subwoofer outputs that are simply connected to the left/right channels no different than using Y-connectors externally.

To be clear, there are no 2.2 or even 2.1 contents for HT, but in my opinion, manufacturers should take a risk and do try marketing such a product if they would bet on room correction such as DL will soon gain popularity.

May be they are smart enough to know that 2 channel audiophiles are too ignorant to know that they could have much better perceptible sound quality by using a mid range gear such as DRA-9000H, NR1200 if such unit can take advantage of DLBC, or the likes of MSO that can integrate the bass of capable tower speakers and multiple subwoofers. It is probably a fact that the 2 channel crowds typically get fixated on the so called sound signature myth, such that they believe for example, there are night and day improvements simply by "upgrading" from their NR1200 to an Anthem STR integrated amp, yet in a DBT they would not be able to perceive much difference if at all, whereas the difference between with and without the use of RC such as DLBC would be much more obvious. In other words, it is likely true that people don't know what they miss, and keep chasing the wrong thing that only work because of their tendency to get easily influenced by marketing information and the price points of the so called high end gear.
I see. I am always wanting this in between solution myself. A better stereo product with a subwoofer that I could use in integration with my multichannel HT. I am not technical enough to build a chain like the ones you are describing. I bought a NAD 3045 D and figured I could just switch speakers and a USB line and have a better solution but it's cheap and had an error light within three months. I have another two channel system but can only use it when thr six other people I live wirh are not home..never.

Rockman2

Update on my system. The 4800 just does great. As I said before. I had a Marantz SR8015 with my last system and then saved money trying the 4800. I am not disappointed. In fact I think this unit does a better job. I also paired it with a 3 channel amp to run the front 3 channels. I have also added 4 additional speakers to have 7.2.4 setup. Before I had 7.1. This system just blows me away. The scene in James bond Spectre (Day of the dead) At the end of that scene the helicopter in the square is just stunning. The separation and the helicopter circling over head. The 4800 is great!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Update on my system. The 4800 just does great. As I said before. I had a Marantz SR8015 with my last system and then saved money trying the 4800. I am not disappointed. In fact I think this unit does a better job. I also paired it with a 3 channel amp to run the front 3 channels. I have also added 4 additional speakers to have 7.2.4 setup. Before I had 7.1. This system just blows me away. The scene in James bond Spectre (Day of the dead) At the end of that scene the helicopter in the square is just stunning. The separation and the helicopter circling over head. The 4800 is great!
Are you using Audyssey (with the $200 or $20 app) or Dirac?

Lbstyling

Forum Donor
1) I had the 4700 with MEQX. I spent far more time on setups and measurements than is rational. I would guess I have ran 40 full calibrations and many targets.
There were several speaker/amp/sub improvements over that time.

First run with the 4800 just on the App gave much better results than I ever achieved with the 4700 MEQX or not.

And this is without MEQX.
The bass extension is deeper with MEQX of course.

2) I also seam to be finding that the SQ on Amazon HD audio through HEOS is just 'clearer' than lossless using the other sources. I have tried confirming all settings in both apps are lossless, no volume leveling/Atmos etc. all good. The SPL level is also higher.

I have no explanation for either observation.

My 4700 was an earlier AKM DAC one. The 4800 samples at 96khz rather than 48khz in the 4700. I wouldn't expect either to really factor in the outcome.

Best guess for item 1 is the supplied mic is just a lucky better one or something?

Most speakers are are KEF meta. Would I notice this with a lesser speaker? Don't know.

I like about 1db tilt down from 1khz in both setups regardless.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The 4800 samples at 96khz rather than 48khz in the 4700. I wouldn't expect either to really factor in the outcome.
Where did you get the info about sampling at 96 kHz when Audyssey is in use?

Lbstyling

Forum Donor
Where did you get the info about sampling at 96 kHz when Audyssey is in use?
Amir's review suggests it no?
Itwouldnt make any audible difference though.

Trdat

Forum Donor

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1) As you now realize I don't have the 3700, my potential candidates for doing what I want in one of my 2 ch system are:
a) X3600H, X3700H, even X3500H, but I don't thing I can find one new, and am always skeptical of used ones that are out of warranty.
b) MOTU M4, but I am not sure if I spent $400 on the M4, how would I do volume control, to pair it with a 4 channel preamp or 2X2ch preamp is not going to be tricky.
c) Give up on using 2 subs with my BMRs, but just 1, in that case DLBC would seem under utilized, though with the discounts I wouldn't complaining much about it.

Ideally, I would like to use a real 2.2 receiver or integrated amp but there is no such animal that I am aware of. If Dirac has a smart and more risk taking marketing team, they would work with the likes of D+M, NAD, Arcam etc., to market a real 2.2 device instead of settling on the silly subwoofer outputs that are simply connected to the left/right channels no different than using Y-connectors externally.

To be clear, there are no 2.2 or even 2.1 contents for HT, but in my opinion, manufacturers should take a risk and do try marketing such a product if they would bet on room correction such as DL will soon gain popularity.

May be they are smart enough to know that 2 channel audiophiles are too ignorant to know that they could have much better perceptible sound quality by using a mid range gear such as DRA-9000H, NR1200 if such unit can take advantage of DLBC, or the likes of MSO that can integrate the bass of capable tower speakers and multiple subwoofers. It is probably a fact that the 2 channel crowds typically get fixated on the so called sound signature myth, such that they believe for example, there are night and day improvements simply by "upgrading" from their NR1200 to an Anthem STR integrated amp, yet in a DBT they would not be able to perceive much difference if at all, whereas the difference between with and without the use of RC such as DLBC would be much more obvious. In other words, it is likely true that people don't know what they miss, and keep chasing the wrong thing that only work because of their tendency to get easily influenced by marketing information and the price points of the so called high end gear.
+1..

Now something on interest to me, perhaps a bit off-topics.
I may have to change my X-3400 because it is old. It functions well and Denon still send updated firmware (the latest one on the second week of December 2023).
I may swing toward the 4800 because of the performance, or the 3800 because performance is good enough for me.
Not because of Dirac. I am not yet convinced by the numerous threads and mentions. No one has come out and say it is better than Audyssey. I am however convinced by Audyssey MultEQ-X. It is a very good software , which add a great control to the capabilities of Audyssey. I find the value proposition better than anything DIRAC presently offers... I haven't tried DIRAC in my system , just read about t.

Happy holidays!

Peace.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir's review suggests it no?
Itwouldnt make any audible difference though.
In that case, no, Amir did not have Audyssey on in his measurements. As far as I know, if you use Audyssey, it will down sample to 48 kHz regardless of the source media contents you play. I would agree that it wouldn't make any audible difference, but as usual, there are people who will say yes it will make audible difference and you most likely can't change their mind.

Rockman2

Are you using Audyssey (with the $200 or $20 app) or Dirac?
Just Audyssey that came with. I also used the Martin Logan Base correction through the iPhone app. Again just free versions. I did not notice any real difference after using ARC. I had already run Audyssey. Did not seem like the extra correction did anything.

Joost80

Just Audyssey that came with. I also used the Martin Logan Base correction through the iPhone app. Again just free versions. I did not notice any real difference after using ARC. I had already run Audyssey. Did not seem like the extra correction did anything.
It is a great receiver. I love mine, sounds fantastic. A mate bought the 3800h and had a big grin after I set it up for him. He came from a Pio LX85. The app is a worthwhile purchase.

Lbstyling

Forum Donor
Audessey (non MEQX) has a 30hz high pass filter that requires wither MEQX or post amp EQ to defeat.

Can anyone confirm if DIRAC has a undefeatable high pass filter?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Audessey (non MEQX) has a 30hz high pass filter that requires wither MEQX or post amp EQ to defeat.

Can anyone confirm if DIRAC has a undefeatable high pass filter?
I do not know if that is true about Audyssey.

Dirac definitely does not have such a filter. You can actually increase bass extension if you do not need to worry about distortion.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If I remember right, D+M had a 20 Hz filter for a brief period in the early dates of the MultEQ Editor app. That would be in effect if the app is used to run calibration, not sure about if running it on the unit itself. Probably because people complained about the drop off shown on the predicted curves, D+M removed that in a hurry. If MultEQ X had such a thing, I doubt it would last long either, even if it can be disabled.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

appix

Hi. Does anyone know what frequency range is the signal (75dB) that Audyssey sends to the subwoofer during setup?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi. Does anyone know what frequency range is the signal (75dB) that Audyssey sends to the subwoofer during setup?

Based on the Audioholics.com's interview with Chris, probably all the way down to 10 Hz. The interview was down in Aug 2014 so things could have changed since.

Audioholics: What is the default frequency range corrections are applied to? In other words, is there a frequency ceiling or floor above/below which correction isn't applied? If correction isn't applied full band, please explain.

Chris Kyriakakis
: MultEQ is capable of applying correction from 10 Hz to 24 kHz. However, during the measurement process it first determines the roll off points of each speaker and subwoofer, and limits the correction below that point.

Audioholics: The top frequency for correction is 24kHz, implying that Audyssey is functioning at a 48kHz sample rate. Does this mean that high resolution content (for example 192kHz or 96kHz sample rate PCM) will be downmixed?

MultEQ is capable of applying correction from 10 Hz to 24 kHz.
Chris Kyriakakis: There are two parts to this answer. A loudspeaker does not reproduce acoustic energy above about 24-30 kHz even if it was in the content (with the exception of super-super tweeters), and a microphone cannot capture acoustic energy above that range. So if there is no information captured then, there is nothing for the filter to do up there.

Top Bottom