• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 20.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 186 54.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 76 22.1%

• Total voters
Can someone confirm if there is any difference in using the digital coax input vs the optical toslink input on the the X4800H? I want to connect a Wiim Pro to the AVR to use as my music streamer, and I'm not sure if there are any considerations between the two that I should be aware of? This could be related to digital signal capabilities for hifi audio signals, or it could simply be in terms of simplicity of switching between sources on the AVR.
The bandwidth will be the same, probably 24b/192k, in either case. Toslink is not electrically coupled, so it can avoid the introduction of ground loops into your system. Probably not an issue for the Wiim, but I generally prefer optical for this reason.

Here it is:

Thanks. I clicked on the video but it says it won't be active until December 20th. Were you somehow able to view this video to get the Roon information?

According to Peter Lie from Lumin, the Roon Ready Uncertified Message occurs "when the manufacturer includes the RAAT SDK in the firmware. If it has not gone through the Roon Ready certification, then it will show as Uncertified and users will not be able to use it, until the certification is completed." (from the Roon forum). So maybe this is very good news for owners of the Denon x4800h.

Quick review of my 4800:

I have a 4800 because my 4700 died after only 2.9 years. First, it started going into Audyssey calibration mode randomly. Then, it went into protection mode, which persisted after a factory reset with nothing plugged in. Denon support said it needed to be repaired and indicated it would take "quite a while" to get it back, so I purchased a 4800 on sale for ~$1700 to have something to use.

The Cons:
1. I really miss the front HDMI port, as I used it for calibration. I bought a 2' pigtail to reach the back and find it annoying
2. The Audyssey mic arrived broken and was replaced by Denon support with a round(?) one in a few weeks time
3. Sending an Audyssey profile from the MultiEQ app overwrites the Dirac slots on that preset
4. Sending a Dirac profile to a Dirac slot overwrites the Audyssey profile on that preset

The Pros:
1. It sounds exactly the same as my 4700 did, save for differences in the the DRC calibration, which means it sounds great
2. It has fewer nonsense inputs on the back
3. Speaker layout configuration is much simpler--especially for disconnecting internal amps
4. It supports Dirac, including DLBC!

With some effort using MultiEQ app and editing the JSON files directly, I was able to get very good results from Audyssey as usual. I have made one calibration attempt with Dirac and achieved very good results, but I can improve it with further iterations.

Overall, I am pleased with the features and performance of the 4800. However, it needs to last at least 10 years for it to compare with the Sony and Yamaha units I have used in the past, which have lasted 20+ years.

I have researched this and have not found an answer. Is the 4800 supposed to be able to hold both Audyssey and Dirac profiles and allow the user to switch between them for comparison?

Last edited:
Is the 4800 supposed to be able to hold both Audyssey and Dirac profiles and allow the user to switch between them for comparison?
Yes. It has two fully independent speaker presets. Use button "Option" on the remote to choose current preset. Then you can run setup for this preset.
For Dirac it also allows to save three configuration slots (within one speaker preset).

Yes. It has two fully independent speaker presets. Use button "Option" on the remote to choose current preset. Then you can run setup for this preset.
For Dirac it also allows to save three configuration slots (within one speaker preset).

OK. It's a per preset thing. I use preset 1 for 7.2.2 movies / television and preset 2 for music. I was hoping preset 2 could hold both Audyssey and Dirac profiles for easy comparison, but that is not part of the feature set. Thanks for the clarification.

I am currently using Audyssey on preset 1 for the aforementioned video sources and Dirac on preset 2 for audio sources. I have only had time for 1 round of calibration of each and plan to spend more time with both to maximize my results.

Just for fun, here is Audyssey limited to 1100Hz:

F206 LR XT32 1100 Sub+.png

And here is Dirac with my custom target limited to 1000Hz:

F206 Dirac Custom 1000 Left Right.png

Here is Dirac with its default target:
F206 Dirac Default Full Shelved Left Right.png

Here is what I managed with Audyssey limited to 100Hz on the 4700 after some work:

F206 Left Right Def Sub+ 1100.png

All are good, but more work to be done as I find the time...

I have to wonder if DLBC is worth the cost consider the results I am getting without it?

Last edited:
I won't be getting DLBC since I don't have subs (my main full range can reproduce bass down to 20Hz) and I'm glad to confirm that I won't be forced to purchase it as an upgrade to ART. It was also confirmed that the processor in the 4800 has enough power to run ART, lets just hope that Denon introduces it.

I won't be getting DLBC since I don't have subs (my main full range can reproduce bass down to 20Hz) and I'm glad to confirm that I won't be forced to purchase it as an upgrade to ART. It was also confirmed that the processor in the 4800 has enough power to run ART, lets just hope that Denon introduces it.
Where has that been confirmed?

Also, can anyone confirm that the delays and trims can be adjusted after Dirac calibration. My speakers need pretty precise distances post calibration.

Where has that been confirmed?
Me, directly with Dirac. Via Flavio (flak)who is a Dirac tech support and public relations guy that participates a lot on the audioholics forum. He confirmed it there, as well as through personal conversation with me.

Last edited:
Me, directly with Denon. Via Flavio (flak)who is a Denon tech support and public relations guy that participates a lot on the audio helix forum. He confirmed it there, as well as through personal conversation with me.
I believe you but point of clarification: flak works for Dirac

I’m either looking at the Marantz AV10, Denon X4800, or the Marantz Cinema 40.

Also, can anyone confirm that the delays and trims can be adjusted after Dirac calibration. My speakers need pretty precise distances post calibration.
I would not recommend touching the delays after calibrating by Dirac. Dirac will properly time align your speakers. Distance is not involved beyond contributing to that delay as a result of sound propagation.

Yes, sorry, that's what I meant. Correction to my earlier post
He answers the customer service emails for Dirac, and participates on the forums

Gene asked Maimo's Phil Jones in a recent YT video and Phil Jones basically confirmed it, that AVRs that have 4 subouts will be able to do it, he wouldn't comment on the time frame.

Reactions: phn
Gene asked Maimo's Phil Jones in a recent YT video and Phil Jones basically confirmed it, that AVRs that have 4 subouts will be able to do it, he wouldn't comment on the time frame.
yes, he pretty much confirmed it for the flagship AVR's and I tried through the chat to get him to confirm it for the x800 series, but they didn't answer it.

I would not recommend touching the delays after calibrating by Dirac. Dirac will properly time align your speakers. Distance is not involved beyond contributing to that delay as a result of sound propagation.
I agree but

if you’re ever in Wisconsin and you want I hear the result of 7.6ms on the left channel and 8.1ms on the right and the impact to the stereo image in my listening position, DM me and I’ll show you why it needs to happen. My speakers are crazy and highly seating dependent (Polk L800’s with SDA, a selfish speaker).

I agree with subs it can matter for the crossover but it’s very nominal as it relates to flattening

He said “should”. So basically, yes, but if youre not in a pinch, I’d wait to see how it turns out

The SDA series was awesome. A heck of a lot less critical seating position than Carver's original Sonic Holigraphy though. Most people here probably have no idea what I'm talking about with regards to your speakers or carver

Back
Top Bottom