• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 21.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 178 54.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 69 21.0%

• Total voters

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That verges on paranoia. I'm hearing what others are hearing so it's not like I'm the only one hearing it. Everyone that hears the 8002 talks about nuances, atmosphere, mids - even if you knew nothing about sound, you'd notice it.

Verges on paranoia? May be you are getting a little sensitive on this topic now for some reasons.:D All I am trying to say so far is that you did not compare SR8012 vs X4800H vs Cinema 70 under the same conditions, based on the way you described how you did it in you posts. For the 8012 and 4800, you involved using the 4800's pre out via the 7.1 analog input to drive the power amps of the 8012, am I wrong? I thought you confirmed that's how you did it. So, in that case you were using the preamp of the 4800+the preamp of the 8012 and the power amp of the 8012 to compare the X4800H AVR. When you add the Cinema 70 in the mix, you even mentioned stereo vs direct and was unclear about whether Audyssey was on or off. That's not really apples to apples is it? If it isn't then why even asked those questions, of course they could sound different to you.

I have never said you did not hear what you did not hear. If I remember right, I thought I have even said I believed you, but the narrative of how you heard one have wide soundstage vs the other one's narrow, and many other differences you described, were heard when the comparisons were not done under the exact same conditions. Lastly, the differences you and yes, others heard are what you and the others heard, but it may or may not be the same that yet many others might hear when compared under the same conditions or different conditions. It should be easy to understand no two AVRs will sound the same if they are compared under different conditions, however small the differences may be. So, that's all I am saying, no denial or challenge of what you heard or not heard, not at all, so what's the paranoia?

As to the often-mentioned sighted vs double blind or single blind test, I am not the expert, but can you at least try to understand why people, even the highly respected Dr. Olive and Dr. Toole advocate the use of such comparison test protocols? Do those PhDs in this field who have conducted lots of research and have many published papers also verge on Paranoia, when they didn't care too much about sighted listening tests? There are multiple threads on ASR and other forums on sighted vs blind, if you are interested to read what others have to say, but I guess you are far more interested in what others subjective measurements are, apparently only to those who's opinions aligned with yours. For example, if someone tells you they have their SR8002 and X4800H side by side and in direct mode, sounded no difference when compared under the same conditions such as in 2 channel music using your favorite pieces, would you then also believe them? I guess not, but then I could be wrong too.:)

Again, be very clear, I won't (not even try to) debate you on the topic of subjective vs objective tests, but simply highlighting the fact that you did not do your subjective comparison tests under the same conditions. If you had done the test on apples-to-apples basis and still heard the same differences as you described in your multiple posts, then I would just say based on your subjective reviews the duts sounded different in the way you described, no problem, case closed.

Anyway, I tried to be very patient and objective in trying to answer some of your questions (you asked and I tried to answer some of them), but it seems to me you just did not bother reading my posts, and instead, seemed to be getting defensive now. So, I do not think there is any point to continue as I would be repeating things.

And it will balance out - I might play the 8002 a bit louder but next time I might play the 70 or 4800h louder and if what you're saying is true, then the 70 would sound better but it doesn't. The only time the 70 or 4800h sound good or great is when I hear them without comparison.

That has no relevance to things I said in my posts.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
W

Well, i choose the 4800 . Bought it right now . Let´s see .Thank you all!

Congrats, you got a good deal on it, and the 4800 has decent measurements, not sota, but very decent.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"I hear what I hear and believe what I want to believe, and if you find fault with that, you all have tin ears. Also, you're ugly and your mother dresses you funny"
Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries.

evert

I have a slight hum coming from the X4800H whenever it's on. In standby mode it's completely silent. I've tried disconnecting everything except the power chord, but it still hums when powered on. Is this to be expected?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a slight hum coming from the X4800H whenever it's on. In standby mode it's completely silent. I've tried disconnecting everything except the power chord, but it still hums when powered on. Is this to be expected?
I take it that is from the device not from the speakers. If so it will be the transformer, and might be due to a small dc offset on your mains supply. Fairly normal and nothing to worry about if the noise doesn’t bother you while listening.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When you say "slight", I don't know if it means it still bothers you when watching movies and listening to music from your nearest seating positions. None of my Denon AVRs had hum that could be audible from even a few inches away, and I am very sensitive to hum and could hear transformer hum from my separate power amps (normal, because of their much larger toroidal transformers). The main power transformers of AVRs aren't that big so if well-made like D+M's, should be near silent.

So, to me, if you can hear the hum of the transformer only when your ears are touching or almost touching the unit, then it is normal. If you could hear it from inches away, then I would exchange it for another one, while you are still within the return/exchange window.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

No reason to accept hum on a new unit. If it was mine I would return it. My 4700 does not hum at all.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No reason to accept hum on a new unit. If it was mine I would return it. My 4700 does not hum at all.
Like I say above - it can be caused by DC offset on the mains resulting in hum from the mains transformer. If this is the case, not much to be done for it other than get a DC filter for the supply. More than likely a replacement would do the same.

I guess no harm in trying a replacement though in case it is a result of a poor quality unit.

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here are a few improvements that can be made to the 4800h:

1. An auto-display off which shows information and goes dark
2. A backlit better remote - come on, this is absolute cheeseland especially compared to the Cinema 70's remote
3. More presets - the RZ50 has 3 so aim for that bar
4. Ability to move up and down continuously in Option menu - it's annoying to have to go down all the way to reach Preset
5. Addition of Audyssey DEQ (on/off) in Option menu
6. More curve options (4-5) with 3 minimum centering on midrange choices (leaner/beefier, more present) as tone controls can affect bass and treble so there's no need to control them via curve as much
7. Silver option (looks gorgeous on a video)
8. Fixing Arc sound dropout issues caused by new firmware update (very annoying)

Of all these #6 is the most important by a factor of 1,000,000% over the rest. The ability to finetune Audyssey without knowledge of REW and the apps or Pro versions would validate Amir's technical findings which do not take into account the sound people will hear once Audyssey is running and it would benefit all D+M owners massively. Once Audyssey runs you either accept it or not.

Like TVs give us choices so we can pick the mode we like. I like the calibration aspect of creating your own curve but most folks won't get there.

rvsixer

This Denon X4800 is a nice piece of kit, love having these ASR reviews available!
I just finished the initial build-out and basic manual calibration of my new 5.4.4 home theater with it, sounds awesome. My first personal Atmos build, the bubble of sound takes things to a whole new level than base layer alone (I think the best decision I made here was to not go with typical way-off-listening-axis ceiling/flat mounted top speakers; but to use high output/low compression bookshelves on 3-axis mounts allowing proper dispersion aiming/time intensity trading across the listening area).

Now onto MultiEQ-X / REW / SACT calibration fun ...

Reactions: phn

evert

So.. just to be clear, when you power on your AVR - it's dead silent?

(my X4800H is humming like I mentioned, and all my other gear is totally silent)

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
So.. just to be clear, when you power on your AVR - it's dead silent?

(my X4800H is humming like I mentioned, and all my other gear is totally silent)
Mine is dead silent.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Gents, all such small, but large enough (say >500 VA power transformers) transformers will hum, though the high quality ones such as those found on D+M mid range AVRs should be near silent. Even then, if you have your ears touching the enclosure or within an inch from it, you will hear a very slight hum. The OP said even with nothing connected, except the power supply cable, the slight hum is there, so it is 99% just transformer hum. Someone mentioned it could be due to high dc offset, but I doubt it because the op also said everything else (presumably share the same power source) were silent. Larger power transformers tend to hum more, try getting close to your neighborhood utility/distribution transformers, the noisier ones will likely be audible to most people even from 10 ft away.

Some people are more sensitive to the hum frequency, mainly 60, 120 Hz (NA), or 50, 100 Hz in Europe, Japan etc., others are not so they may not hear such slight hum unless they try hard to hear it.

As others mentioned too, it is normal!!

If it can be heard from say, even 1-2 ft away, then it would seem excessive, at least for D+M avrs. Practically speaking, even if it can be heard from a couple feet, it will be silent to the ears from typical seating distance of 8 to 20 ft in a quiet room, though in my opinion, it is better to request for a replacement.

Last edited:

EWL5

Doesn't it make a difference if the AVR is connected direct to outlet, to a line conditioner, or if a powerline ethernet adapter is part of the circuit?

techsamurai

Doesn't it make a difference if the AVR is connected direct to outlet, to a line conditioner, or if a powerline ethernet adapter is part of the circuit?

Hopefully, it's at least connected to a decent surge protector.

Top Bottom