• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 22.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 178 54.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 68 20.7%

• Total voters

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't it make a difference if the AVR is connected direct to outlet, to a line conditioner, or if a powerline ethernet adapter is part of the circuit?
Unlikely, but if it us louder than normal due to excessive dc offset, then some line condtioners that can reduce dc offset may help.

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unlikely, but if it us louder than normal due to excessive dc offset, then some line condtioners that can reduce dc offset may help.

Peng, does it make a difference if I have a 20A vs 15A outlet? I know they'd said something like that on Audioholics about the 8500ha getting 10% more power with 20A.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Peng, does it make a difference if I have a 20A vs 15A outlet? I know they'd said something like that on Audioholics about the 8500ha getting 10% more power with 20A.
What is the outlet used for? If it is for a single SR8002, then no it won't make a difference. If you know the maximim draw by each of the devices powered by the outlet, you can calculate the total draw based on the worst case scenario.

Regardless, if you have a choice, such as getting your house built, go with 20 A circuits for your HT room.

Svend P

No. Both circuit breakers have an impedance close to zero (it is around 0.01 ohm), and none of them will act as voltage or current limiting for your AVR

techsamurai

No. Both circuit breakers have an impedance close to zero (it is around 0.01 ohm), and none of them will act as voltage or current limiting for your AVR

I think Europe has more power per outlet.

techsamurai

What is the outlet used for? If it is for a single SR8002, then no it won't make a difference. If you know the maximim draw by each of the devices powered by the outlet, you can calculate the total draw based on the worst case scenario.

Regardless, if you have a choice, such as getting your house built, go with 20 A circuits for your HT room.

Yeah, TV, sub, avr, (well 2 now but one in pre-amp mode), consoles or video devices.

The other devices other than sub and Avrs top out at 400-450 watts maybe.

andyhi

I have a slight hum coming from the X4800H whenever it's on. In standby mode it's completely silent. I've tried disconnecting everything except the power chord, but it still hums when powered on. Is this to be expected?
New X4800H, purchased a week or so back from ADORAMA. Very slight low frequency hum when powered on. Can only be heard if within 3 - 4 inches of the internal transformer and the room is completely silent.

This is nothing I wouldn’t expect out of any sort of powered on electronics with a transformer of this size. I have older receivers, including a 4200 with similar ever so slight transformer hum.

The hum is caused by magnetic / electric field flux vibrating the metal plates in the transformer. All transformers of this type have hum due to the physics involved… it’s just a matter of how much noise is emitted by the resonation. Those saying their’s doesn’t hum in these circumstances have hearing loss ;)

If the hum is only a very slight back ground noise at ~12 - 24 inches inches or so - You might want to try see if you get different results out of mains power at another location serviced by a different distribution line or perhaps temporarily connect to a UPS in battery mode (preferably a pure sine model if you have one). If either of these make a significant difference, you should consider a power filter / conditioner. If the hum is audible at more than ~3 feet, I’d see about swapping the unit as the main power transformer might not be within manufacturing tolerances.

Last edited:

andyhi

Most of the EU has 220V outlets. P = V * I. So yes, average EU outlets / branch circuits can deliver about twice the power as US 110v circuits using similar size wiring at similar distances.

Svend P

Circuit breaker size has nothing to do with how much power your amplifier can or will consume. If you consume more than the rating of the circuit breaker, it will simply shut off. But there is no limitation on power up to that point.

techsamurai

Circuit breaker size has nothing to do with how much power your amplifier can or will consume. If you consume more than the rating of the circuit breaker, it will simply shut off. But there is no limitation on power up to that point.

Most outlets in the US are 15A so they have a maximum of 1800 watts. Clas A/B amps like the 4800h have a rating of 660 watts or so but they can actually draw more because of the inefficiencies of Class A/B - I think some can draw a theoretical 1,600 watts. If have a console that's 250 watts, a tv ~100-200 watts and the sub can be an issue since they have massive RMS and peak power ratings.

I would not have been worried with an AVR + sub but I'm definitely worried about 2 AVRs + sub

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Most outlets in the US are 15A so they have a maximum of 1800 watts. Clas A/B amps like the 4800h have a rating of 660 watts or so but they can actually draw more because of the inefficiencies of Class A/B - I think some can draw a theoretical 1,600 watts.

The power consumption of the X4800H, according to Denon, is 710 W, same for the Cinema 40. I have no idea where you got the 660 watts figure from.
Your estimated 1600 W draw is meaningless, it is yet another common misconception that one can calculate the draw based on an estimated efficiency. The fact is, practically speaking the average maximum power draw by an AVR depends on how it is used. For example, in my case, the AVR will on average, draw no more than 2 A, or 7 to 8 A if you really push the unit to overload conditions. That's average, for the highest peaks it will be much higher, but such peaks are typically or very short duration that will not present an issue to the 15 A circuit, and besides, for such peaks, the AVR's power supply block capacitors (2X15,000 uf for the X4800H, or 2X18,000 uf (irrc) for the SR8002) can easily take care of those momentary peaks such that the wall outlet won't even feel it.

f have a console that's 250 watts, a tv ~100-200 watts and the sub can be an issue since they have massive RMS and peak power ratings.

I would not have been worried with an AVR + sub but I'm definitely worried about 2 AVRs + sub

Assuming your 15 A wall outlet is a dedicated one, there is nothing to worry about unless you push everything to their limits and risk damaging your hearing. To calculate, or estimate the adequacy of the power supply feed you have to consider the following, not just the "15 A outlet":

1) A typical 15 A circuit feeds many outlets, 6 or more will not be uncommon.
2) Not all outlets are fed by the same length of cables as it depends on their locations, the longer the feeders, the more voltage drop can be expected at any given load current.
3) For continuous load, depending on your local electrical codes, you should assume safely 12 A is the limit, not 15 A.
4) As mentioned before many times, power consumption figures are not the "maximum", for D+M, such as yours, I have provided link at least once to an article written by Gene, who claimed he got the information from Denon (or Marantz).

So, unless your 15 A wall outlet is a dedicated one, you have to consider loads plugged into the other outlets that are fed by the same 15 A circuit. If your electrical panel is labelled clearly, you should be able to get a good idea of how many outlets it feed. Again, as you said, your 2nd 8002 is used as preamp only so as long as your 15 A circuit is used only for that outlet, you will be fine.

evert

New X4800H, purchased a week or so back from ADORAMA. Very slight low frequency hum when powered on. Can only be heard if within 3 - 4 inches of the internal transformer and the room is completely silent.

This is nothing I wouldn’t expect out of any sort of powered on electronics with a transformer of this size. I have older receivers, including a 4200 with similar ever so slight transformer hum.

The hum is caused by magnetic / electric field flux vibrating the metal plates in the transformer. All transformers of this type have hum due to the physics involved… it’s just a matter of how much noise is emitted by the resonation. Those saying their’s doesn’t hum in these circumstances have hearing loss ;)

If the hum is only a very slight back ground noise at ~12 - 24 inches inches or so - You might want to try see if you get different results out of mains power at another location serviced by a different distribution line or perhaps temporarily connect to a UPS in battery mode (preferably a pure sine model if you have one). If either of these make a significant difference, you should consider a power filter / conditioner. If the hum is audible at more than ~3 feet, I’d see about swapping the unit as the main power transformer might not be within manufacturing tolerances.
It's audible in the entire living room. I'm sending it back next week.

supermood

hi all,

proud owner of a x4800h after selling my beloved x4500h

a bit curios

1. In speaker config there's not possibility to set my 4 height and 2 surround to small. audissey measurements are done and cutover frequ is set to 80.
on the first speaker config page (as in all others) via setup there just no possibility for large / small. Just yes or no. also checked web access and app.
but the manuel says it should be there. any idea?

2. enabling Dolby vision on a shield pro 2019 with ycbcr 4.2.2 and 12 bit with 50hz gives me a black screen (hdmi set to enhanced, not to enhanced 8k).
on my 4500 that worked great and according to specifications see attached screenshot it should work. usually I'm using 24hz and that is working. but 50 should also. did I get a damaged one? seems unlikely...?

bonus question 3.
saw an enhanced setting possibility with a key on the bottom of the main setup page via web access but I do not have a password. any thoughts?

by the way. I really cannot belive that there is no detailed config page on how to process what kind of picture in terms of pixel, bit, color, hz...
to be honest in 2023 with that price, that is a key functionality of a av receiver?
a table what comes in and how it should get out would be sooo nice...

any hint / idea is much appreciated!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231102_143638.jpg
    Screenshot_20231102_143638.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 68

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
hi all,

a bit curios

1. In speaker config there's not possibility to set my 4 height and 2 surround to small. audissey measurements are done and cutover frequ is set to 80.
on the first speaker config page (as in all others) via setup there just no possibility for large / small. Just yes or no. also checked web access and app.

2. enabling Dolby vision on a shield pro 2019 with ycbcr 4.2.2 and 12 bit with 50hz gives me a black screen (hdmi set to enhanced, not to enhanced 8k).
on my 4500 that worked great and according to specifications see attached screenshot it should work. usually I'm using 24hz and that is working. but 50 should also. did I get a damaged one? seems unlikely...?

bonus question 3.
saw an enhanced setting possibility with a key on the bottom of the main setup page via web access but I do not have a password. any thoughts?

by the way. I really cannot belive that there is no detailed config page on how to process what kind of picture in terms of pixel, bit, color, hz...
to be honest in 2023 with that price, that is a key functionality of a av receiver?

1. If there is a crossover frequency, the speaker is set to small. If not, it is set to large.

supermood

1. If there is a crossover frequency, the speaker is set to small. If not, it is set to large.
would make sense yes, but do you have the manuel? I have the German here on my mobile. clearly a complete other menu page to maintain crossover and I read everything here ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231102_202702.jpg
    Screenshot_20231102_202702.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 39

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
would make sense yes, but do you have the manuel? I have the German here on my mobile. clearly a complete other menu page to maintain crossover and I read everything here ;)

I think it was changed in a recent firmware update and the manual may be incorrect. I set crossovers points 2 days ago, and that's how it worked in the on-screen menu system.

supermood

I think it was changed in a recent firmware update and the manual may be incorrect. I set crossovers points 2 days ago, and that's how it worked in the on-screen menu system.
alright. fine for me. even the online manual is wrong but I don't care.

any idea on 2. or 3.? ;)

hiphop_odc

hi all,

a bit curios

bonus question 3.

I have my shield set to 4k59 and denon set to 8k enhanced
Password is your denon model

supermood

I have my shield set to 4k59 and denon set to 8k enhanced
Password is your denon model
ha! pw works! not so thrilling that advanced setting feature but many thanks!!

are you watching movies with 59? I thought after reading 1000 posts 24 is the shit....

anyway it's working with 8k setting yes, but why. 4500 was able in 4k standard and it is not a 8k feature...

Top Bottom