• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 22.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 176 54.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 68 20.9%

• Total voters

drelldrell

Just got the Dirac Live license, ran first Dirac Live calibration (9 points because is in my bedroom setup) and calibration ran without a single issue, like perfectly smooth. Switching between Audyssey and Dirac while listening to music is literally shocking. No kidding, it's NIGHT and DAY difference. I'm already contemplating putting for sale my Living room X4700H and getting a second X4800H. I have Dirac Live in my office desk with a miniDSP FLEX TRS and Neumann KH150s + Rythmik Audio E22 subwoofer so I knew what to expect but switching on the fly between Audyssey and Dirac that's another history.
Did you use the MultiEQ app for the Audyssey calibration? I see a huge difference between AVR-based Audyssey calibration vs the app with few tweaks like limiting frequency range.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Did you use the MultiEQ app for the Audyssey calibration? I see a huge difference between AVR-based Audyssey calibration vs the app with few tweaks like limiting frequency range.
Yes, I have been using Audyssey app for the last 4 or 5 years.

OCA

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
in theory... if you had an external calibration file for the Audyssey mic... and used a 3.5mm mic input on a PC...

Someone out there must have developed a calibration file for these ubiquitous Audyssey mics surely?!

Attachments

• ACM1HB_90deg_calibration.txt
    4.4 KB · Views: 86

OCA

Forum Donor
Comparison was done with both, Dirac and Audyssey with their standard target curves. The only change I did with the Audyssey app was turning OFF mid range compensation for all the speakers.
My two cents on their comparison....

Dirac Live does some correction in the phase response and doesn't boost the dips like Audyssey so has less distortion overall (speaking from my measurement results) but it should be noted that it doesn't yet (earliest in 2024) come with bass control (which will be a $500 addition for multiple subs if Arcams are any reference) so unless you have a separate solution for your sub(s), free XT32 with a solution (although not an optimal one) for up to 2 subs will have the upper hand. I think if you have 4 subs and an AVR with 4 sub outputs, than DLBC will be a great improvement in the future but not at the moment.

Besides, Audyssey is massively customizable with just a $20 app as others here have pointed out while Dirac is a black box with which you cannot do more than playing around with target curves.

It should also be noted that you'll lose equal loudness adjustment without Dynamic EQ of Audyssey and at least one of these 3 slots will have to be saved for low volume night listening.

Newman

Major Contributor
I think the worst thing you can do with these RC apps is to run them full range on “auto everything” and expect good speakers to sound anything other than worse, outside the bass.

OCA

Forum Donor
I think the worst thing you can do with these RC apps is to run them full range on “auto everything” and expect good speakers to sound anything other than worse, outside the bass.
You can get a descent outcome from Audyssey standard calibration for a couple of minutes until you go deaf if you crank up the volume to over 100dB as this is where odd boosts of DEQ to mains and even more boosts to surrounds&heights will stop :)

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I agree, on the other hand, you can set the profile of your mains as the target... and then apply it to all the other speakers, so as to properly match tonality.... while avoiding full range EQ on those same mains.

I'm not sure whether Audyssey allows that - Dirac certainly does.

Newman

Major Contributor
you can set the profile of your mains as the target... and then apply it to all the other speakers, so as to properly match tonality.... while avoiding full range EQ on those same mains.
…and then all but 2 of your speakers will be sounding worse than before…

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can get a descent outcome from Audyssey standard calibration for a couple of minutes until you go deaf if you crank up the volume to over 100dB as this is where odd boosts of DEQ to mains and even more boosts to surrounds&heights will stop :)

By the way, I used to feel Audyssey over boosted the surround channels when deq is on, now that I have the AVM70 for 3 months I know that isn't the case. The Anthem boost the surround channels just the same without deq, obviously. So, I think, logically, that the perceived Audyssey boost on surr channels might have been just reflecting what the movie mix practice change in recent years.

Last edited:

EWL5

Apologies if this has been answered but I only made it through the first 4 pages of this thread (it really took off like a rocket!):

Is the main difference b/w this 4800 and a new 4700 about $1000 more for additional subwoofer outputs and the promise of DIRAC integration? At this point, they have identical DACs, right?

tobby

Apologies if this has been answered but I only made it through the first 4 pages of this thread (it really took off like a rocket!):

Is the main difference b/w this 4800 and a new 4700 about $1000 more for additional subwoofer outputs and the promise of DIRAC integration? At this point, they have identical DACs, right?
When comparing to the X4700H v2 then yes, same DACs.
DIRAC is already there, came last week with firmware U30.
More additions: Mono block amplifier like X6700H. Fully working HDMI 2.1 on all inputs (not only one input like X4700H). New DSP with more power (including power for DLBC and maybe DL ART). Pre amplifier mode (with disconnected amplifiers), up to 11.4 or 7.1.4/7.4.4. HD GUI. More (independent!) sub outputs. Maybe more?

EWL5

When comparing to the X4700H v2 then yes, same DACs.
DIRAC is already there, came last week with firmware U30.
More additions: Mono block amplifier like X6700H. Fully working HDMI 2.1 on all inputs (not only one input like X4700H). New DSP with more power (including power for DLBC and maybe DL ART). Pre amplifier mode (with disconnected amplifiers), up to 11.4 or 7.1.4/7.4.4. HD GUI. More (independent!) sub outputs. Maybe more?
Those are all great value adds, especially all inputs being HDMI 2.1 compliant!

How much does it cost to add the DIRAC and can it be a la carte? I don't think I need the DLBC since I own a single subwoofer.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Those are all great value adds, especially all inputs being HDMI 2.1 compliant!

How much does it cost to add the DIRAC and can it be a la carte? I don't think I need the DLBC since I own a single subwoofer.
Here you go:

Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 8.31.38 AM.png

EWL5

Everett T

Forum Donor
Thanks for this!

A $50 savings for the All-in-one packages?!!! Any idea if Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer plan to have their own version of this? If they did, I would imagine the pricing plans would come down to some equilibrium value rather than the monopoly pricing we see here.
Who do you think is setting the prices, D&M?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Thanks for this!

A $50 savings for the All-in-one packages?!!! Any idea if Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer plan to have their own version of this? If they did, I would imagine the pricing plans would come down to some equilibrium value rather than the monopoly pricing we see here.

Prices are done by Dirac, not by D&M, Onkyo, ARCAM or any other manufacture. DLBC cost the same for every manufacture with the exception of JBL, StormAudio and AudioControl which includes the licenses in the processor price.

ArturoKiwi

Thanks for this!

Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer are sell with Dirac Live license already included. What it will not be included is the DBLC possibility in the little one, like RZ50.
But it is better if you ask it in the right thread

EWL5

Agreed that DIRAC setting the pricing doesn't help. Having more machines out there capable of DIRAC may lower the price of admission down the road.

I have considered the RZ50 but the test results of the Pioneer 505 gave me pause, wondering if Onkyo may have also included protection that limits performance (unbenownst to the consumer).

I just installed my X3800H this past weekend and was searching for a cal file for the Audyssey mic! Thanks for posting this - it's exactly what I need since I found I now prefer the Audyssey mic due to it's ease of use with REW (and of course the new receiver!)

Top Bottom