• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 22.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 177 54.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 68 20.8%

• Total voters

EWL5

Thanks. Yeah, you need the full bandwidth license in order to add on DLBC. The whole thing for multi subs normally costs $800. So I guess with 30% off it would have been around $560. For someone who has not been paying attention, does Dirac typically have a Black Friday sale? Any other sales?
Yes, I was told they do BF sales and that is why I waited 4 months to make the purchase!

I don't think it's $800 anymore. If you check the official site, DL FB is $349 and DLBC multi-sub is $499 (for my 3800 at least).

dave999z

Yes, I was told they do BF sales and that is why I waited 4 months to make the purchase!

I don't think it's $800 anymore. If you check the official site, DL FB is $349 and DLBC multi-sub is $499 (for my 3800 at least).

There's a bundle offer at the bottom of that page for $799 (so you save $50 by buying the bundle all at once).

EWL5

There's a bundle offer at the bottom of that page for $799 (so you save $50 by buying the bundle all at once).
Ok, got it! So figure 30% off the bundle come Black Friday!

I'm not aware of any other sale period other than when DLBC was rolled out to the Denons but that's a one-time thing! You can possibly wait until ART comes out to see if they do "celebratory discounting" again but highly doubt it!

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Martin Logan stats - depending on the model, the impedance can drop to 1 ohm... and they can as a result really push a lot of amps - a heck of a lot of amps don't do well with them.

If the X3800 drives them well it is a very positive sign.

Quite a few ML-stat users, have used Crown XLS amps to excellent effect, as they handle 1 ohm without trouble.

pogo

Major Contributor
If the X3800 drives them well it is a very positive sign.
... or a sign that the protection does not apply properly. You should keep an eye on this case, as the MTBF is reduced here.

Your signature appears to imply that your Bedini BA-801 amp is driving those MLs. Is this the case or driving only w/the 3800?
Correct, the Bedini BA-801 is currently driving the MLs as when I added rear surrounds, it would not allow me to have the rears as the only self-powered speakers to achieve a 7.0.4 configuration (the tactile transducer is not considered a sub.) I did not want to drag out the old amp and add it to my setup, but I was forced to by receiver limitations. I suppose taking the load off the receiver may help extend it's life some, though my 10 year old Pioneer (edit VSX-820 was made in 2010) rated at 80W/8ohm lasted just fine driving the Sequels, only shut it down twice (thermal breaker) by filling the entire neighborhood full of sound on a spring day :D . I perceived no difference in sound between the similarly rated BA-801 and the X3800H - can drive either arrangement to deafening 100dB levels in my smaller 12' x 14' room. The ML Sequel towers are 9' from the listening position.

Last edited:

JoetheLion

Forum Donor
So it's actually built into the AVR and into Roon. From Roon, if you go to Settings -> Audio and scroll down to "Other network devices", you should see your AVR listed twice, once with "via AirPlay" and again with "via Chromecast streaming". Choosing Chromecast should get you higher resolution.
Unfortunately, only Airplay is displayed for me. What do I have to do so that Chromecast is also displayed?

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unfortunately, only Airplay is displayed for me. What do I have to do so that Chromecast is also displayed?
I thought the Denon supported Chromecast, but unfortunately I was wrong. :(

Top Bottom