• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

Xcel

Where are the measurements? If I have time this weekend, I will perform measurements with the Dayton iMM-6, including a calibration file against the Audyssey microphone.

Keep in mind that the differences you find in these mics will throw off your Audyssey calibration. That could be why you hate the sound????

shellback

Audio Company
Anyone else experiencing HDMI issues? Frequently watch Netflix through Apple TV and it shows no signal when trying to go to the Netflix menu. I have to change to a different source and then back to the ATV.

AVRams

Hopefully there are still some activity in this tread :)
I just got the X3700 and now I'm looking for a power amplifier for my fronts.
Got a good offer on a Parasound Newclassic 2125 v.2.
Reading the rewiew and the specs on the Parasound, I believe (hope) it should be a good match.
The input sensitivity is 1 V for 28.28 V out (which apparently is THX standard) .
In his rewiew, @Amir says look for power amplifier with sensitivity of max. 1.1 V, so the Parasound should be OK, right?
https://parasound.com/2125-v2.php

BullBuchanan

Not sure if you got your issue solved but looking at the zip code on this, I see you’re in the Austin area?
AB TV shows the 3700 in their current ad. Not sure if it’s in stock but worth a check if you still need to replace your current one.

I am in Austin, but I didn't end up returning it. I couldn't find any justification for it. The power off issues never happened again after I reseated the power cable, so that took care of that, and I'm blaming the TV for now for the app-related audio distortion issues because they clear up as soon as the tv is turned off and on again.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am in Austin, but I didn't end up returning it. I couldn't find any justification for it. The power off issues never happened again after I reseated the power cable, so that took care of that, and I'm blaming the TV for now for the app-related audio distortion issues because they clear up as soon as the tv is turned off and on again.

I have never experienced a TV causing audio distortion with the Denon receiver. More likely that's a sign the HDMI board inside the Denon is failing?

BullBuchanan

I have never experienced a TV causing audio distortion with the Denon receiver. More likely that's a sign the HDMI board inside the Denon is failing?

lol, no. It's probably an app glitch, a problem with the TV OS or an issue with the cable. The apps have been crashign back to the home screen a lot too.

I know you really want this receiver to be faulty, but it's not.

patoulol

Forum Donor
I just had an image cut in the middle of a PS5 game with my x3700

the sound was not cut ... not reassuring

I am using both HDMI outputs to input on a single projector, may be a conflict

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just had an image cut in the middle of a PS5 game with my x3700

the sound was not cut ... not reassuring

I am using both HDMI outputs to input on a single projector, may be a conflict

Are you using the new Adapter provided free by Denon/Marantz to solve 4k/120Hz HDMI 2.1 issue with the PS5?

tpeter

Ok looking for a new receiver. Just bought a house "4500sq feet!!" with a bonus room that i want to turn into a HT room.. I bought the lg 77 oled cx on amazon last night for 2698.. Couldn't pass it up for that! I have had Polk LSi series 5 piece set forever.. They are great speakers but 4ohm... This 3700 looks like it would work just fine for this , i also have an Xbox Series X and see this is sort of compatible with some upgraded box...

I want to purchase by the end of this month which is around the time ill be moving into my much needed bigger house " have 4 kids"..

Thoughts?

Persik

I am using X3700H with Airmotiv T2+ fronts and C2+ center speaker that are rated at 4Ohms. Shall I set this specific AVR output to 4Ohms or 8 Ohms?
Does anyone know what Denon engineers think about Audioholics recommendation to always keep it at 8Ohms?

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You will cripple the amps if you set the Denon for 4 ohms. I would leave it set at 8 ohms.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes - just don't go crazy on volume.
And obviously, if you are using full pre-out mode none of this matters. You can blast the walls down. :D

tpeter

not to hijack this thread but has anyone looked into the new onkyo coming out soon thats full 2.1

vertrex

Hi,

I've read all the messages on this thread but some things are still not clear to me.

For the explanation I've change my X2600H for a X3700H that I should receive in few days because I bought some new speakers that seems to need more power.

I will use it with the 2x Focal 926, a focal 900CC and 2X SR700 (so in 5.0, I don't have any subwoofer so my front speaker are set to large and the 3 others to small), and I will also use a power amplifier for my two front speaker : a boXem Arthur 3409/N2, based on Hypex NCore with 4Ohm sensibility of 1.66 V RMS.

When watching movie or playing video game, should I use the 11.1 channel tricks to have the internal amp disconnected or will I loose somethings as I've only 5 speaker or does audissey will still dispatch the sound for the channel I don't have, in my speaker ? (like if I configured it for 5.0 and listening somethings made for more than 5 speakers ).

(If it I understand well for music listening it's not a problem as I can have a second preset that I can configure to disconnect all the power amp when listening to stereo.)

Does the fact that it clip at 1.4V means that I will not hear any difference until I put the volume at somethings like 84% of the capacity ? (1.66 * 0.84 = 1.4v ). A volume level that I will certainly never or very rarely use in practice.

Thanks

jgiannakas

Hi,

I've read all the messages on this thread but some things are still not clear to me.

For the explanation I've change my X2600H for a X3700H that I should receive in few days because I bought some new speakers that seems to need more power.

I will use it with the 2x Focal 926, a focal 900CC and 2X SR700 (so in 5.0, I don't have any subwoofer so my front speaker are set to large and the 3 others to small), and I will also use a power amplifier for my two front speaker : a boXem Arthur 3409/N2, based on Hypex NCore with 4Ohm sensibility of 1.66 V RMS.

When watching movie or playing video game, should I use the 11.1 channel tricks to have the internal amp disconnected or will I loose somethings as I've only 5 speaker or does audissey will still dispatch the sound for the channel I don't have, in my speaker ? (like if I configured it for 5.0 and listening somethings made for more than 5 speakers ).

(If it I understand well for music listening it's not a problem as I can have a second preset that I can configure to disconnect all the power amp when listening to stereo.)

Does the fact that it clip at 1.4V means that I will not hear any difference until I put the volume at somethings like 84% of the capacity ? (1.66 * 0.84 = 1.4v ). A volume level that I will certainly never or very rarely use in practice.

Thanks

Can’t help you with the gain question but owning this AVR and thinking that I may need external amps for my KEF R300s my advice would be to buy the external amps after you’ve setup the AVR. You may see that you don’t need them at all if you’re listening at normal levels.

vertrex

I already own the external amp, I buy it because someone told that I could use it with my X2600H rather than buying a new amp, by duplicating the main zone sound on the zone 2. But in fact it was not the case. I could connect it to the zone 2 / pre out of the 2600H and it worked for music (and give me a better sound than the X2600H alone), but when using surround for movie I couldn't use audissey on the pre-out and the other channel at the same time, so it make the sound strange, and also the volume for main and zone 2 was separate so it was not really usable.

Top Bottom