• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

patoulol

Forum Donor
I'd work on fixing the null at 45 Hz by moving one of your subs, or adding a 2nd if you only have one. No way eq is *actually* fixing that hole and leaving any headroom. Keep in mind however, that the key to fixing your response with a 2nd sub is with proper placement which likely won't be symmetrical front stage placement.

I would also try limiting correction to 3-400 Hz so that you don't muck up the overall sound of your speakers. However, pulling down the huge boost in response above 7KHz might actually help things? Engage DEQ *after* room correction and *before* turning your sub up to taste. Adjust subwoofer level up after DEQ, IMO.

very good idea the sub must be exactly the same as my first sub? if I want to put it at the back, diagonally from the first?

Last edited:

oupee

oupee
so you disabled audissey equalization ?
Absolutely. Last weekend I tried Audyssey on the stereo result was tragic. Basically, it completely removed the dynamics and naturalness, I had no problem in the stereo, I just tried it, because everyone here praised it in the stereo as well. So I deactivated it for the cinema and the result is excellent. Apparently I don't have a problem with the room. In addition, almost everyone here prefers to limit large speakers to 80Hz. I reset it to full and now I'm really happy. Audyssey can really help someone, a lot of advice is meant well but we don't have the same rooms or equipment.

oupee

If we think about it logically, after the calibration of Audyssey, the Dynamic EQ function will be turned on automatically. Apparently he knows about this problem, or it's something for something. And a lot of people don't care, you just add db to the subwoofer that beats everything. I started the calibration, had Audyssey adjust everything, and then Audyssey turned off.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Absolutely. Last weekend I tried Audyssey on the stereo result was tragic. Basically, it completely removed the dynamics and naturalness, I had no problem in the stereo, I just tried it, because everyone here praised it in the stereo as well. So I deactivated it for the cinema and the result is excellent. Apparently I don't have a problem with the room. In addition, almost everyone here prefers to limit large speakers to 80Hz. I reset it to full and now I'm really happy. Audyssey can really help someone, a lot of advice is meant well but we don't have the same rooms or equipment.
May I know how many microphone points you used when doing the room eq process? Where did you place the microphone?

At least in my rooms, using too few points hurts the sound quality. Try using the max available points and especially make sure you have back and forth variations.

oupee

May I know how many microphone points you used when doing the room eq process? Where did you place the microphone?

At least in my rooms, using too few points hurts the sound quality. Try using the max available points and especially make sure you have back and forth variations.
I used all eight points. After eight months of using the SR8015 with Audyssey, I will never return to Audyssey. Again, Audyssey can help someone.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not heard that Audyssey complaint before about "reduced dynamics". It does aim for a flat response, which you may or may not like. DynamicEQ is a loudness contour changing with volume below reference level....whether you find that useful at lower volume or not, YMMV.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I used all eight points. After eight months of using the SR8015 with Audyssey, I will never return to Audyssey. Again, Audyssey can help someone.
Hmm....

Maybe it is room modes for your sub. Audyssey maybe trying to tone down the bass peaks too much for your sub and set the sub volume too low.

Did you have a chance to measure your sub freq range using REW? There could be a strong peak in certain freq that maybe a minidsp could solve.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are the X3700's even available at any price now?

I would say yes, because according to Denon Canada:

AVR-X3700H (denon.com)

The ONECALL link did not work for me, but the eXpro and ListneUp did and was for $1,299, in stock..

1623781801315.png

oupee

Not heard that Audyssey complaint before about "reduced dynamics". It does aim for a flat response, which you may or may not like. DynamicEQ is a loudness contour changing with volume below reference level....whether you find that useful at lower volume or not, YMMV.
The biggest problem is that all Audyssey microphones can be considered broken because they are not calibrated. The cheapest calibrated microphone with a 3.5mm jack is the Dayton iMM-6 that I have. It has a serial number and I have to download a calibration file that corrects the frequency response in the range of -3.9db to + 2.3db. What tolerance does the Audyssey microphone have? Who knows and where it is written? Audyssey microphones are made as fast as croissants and are not controlled by anyone. Although I have Marantz and Audyssey, I consider Audyssey to be broken just because of the microphone.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would say yes, because according to Denon Canada:

AVR-X3700H (denon.com)

The ONECALL link did not work for me, but the eXpro and ListneUp did and was for $1,299, in stock..

View attachment 135813
Good to know. I'm torn between this AVR and the new models, even the higher end ones from Onkyo. Who knows if Onkyo will adopt the preamp disconnect feature...

Xcel

I would assume (but do not know for sure) that the provided Audyssey mic has a calibration file within the software. Using a better mic might not yield better results.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good to know. I'm torn between this AVR and the new models, even the higher end ones from Onkyo. Who knows if Onkyo will adopt the preamp disconnect feature...

I don't know, but in the past Onkyo, like Denon, only have preamp mode for their flag ship models and as far as I can remember they don't have the front left/right channel disconnect feature.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would assume (but do not know for sure) that the provided Audyssey mic has a calibration file within the software. Using a better mic might not yield better results.

According to Audyssey, the mics are specifically calibrated for the job.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The biggest problem is that all Audyssey microphones can be considered broken because they are not calibrated. The cheapest calibrated microphone with a 3.5mm jack is the Dayton iMM-6 that I have. It has a serial number and I have to download a calibration file that corrects the frequency response in the range of -3.9db to + 2.3db. What tolerance does the Audyssey microphone have? Who knows and where it is written? Audyssey microphones are made as fast as croissants and are not controlled by anyone. Although I have Marantz and Audyssey, I consider Audyssey to be broken just because of the microphone.

So you're just prejudiced? Okay....

ps How do you consistently position that mic plugged into a phone?

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
very good idea the sub must be exactly the same as my first sub? if I want to put it at the back, diagonally from the first?
Ideally, yes you would want it the same. The reason is that you want the roll off at low frequencies to match. If not, the subs will be out of phase at some point, which will, not might, will, cause cancellation. This results in *less* bass with two subs in the area where they are out of phase, then what you get from one sub. Since we pay the most $$$ for low frequencies(which requires larger drivers, more excursion, more power, larger cab which all = cost), I don't think it is wise to mix match subs and reduce SPL capability in the low frequencies.

This is a general rule of thumb and, IMO, applies in the very low frequencies where subs will mutually couple regardless of where you place them in the room.

Now, if two very similar subs have very similar low frequency extension and matching roll off frequencies and slopes, mismatch in phase won't be an issue and they should integrate fine.

So, if your single sub is really good and you are happy with it, add another IMO. On the other hand, if the single sub is a weak link, or doesn't have the extension or output or sound quality you prefer, I'd consider selling or repurposing and adding two matching subs.

Bear123

I've seen the Audyssey mic tested compared to calibrated mics, and they perform surprisingly well with better than expected correlation. What objective data do you have showing the Audyssey mics are so bad that they are "broken"? Or is this just your assumption?

oupee

I've seen the Audyssey mic tested compared to calibrated mics, and they perform surprisingly well with better than expected correlation. What objective data do you have showing the Audyssey mics are so bad that they are "broken"? Or is this just your assumption?
Where are the measurements? If I have time this weekend, I will perform measurements with the Dayton iMM-6, including a calibration file against the Audyssey microphone.

Bear123

Where are the measurements? If I have time this weekend, I will perform measurements with the Dayton iMM-6, including a calibration file against the Audyssey microphone.
It was an old thread on AVS forums. The images may not be working. When I went to find the thread in order to link, (almost)none of the images showing response comparisons are working, but maybe its just me. Here's the link in case anyone is able to see the images:
Audyssey mic measurements AVS

Top Bottom