• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-A1H

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The A1H has 4x XLR sub-outs that can be configured as pre-outs for LCR. Can I use the RCA sub-outs at the same time? Example: 3 subs connected via RCA and the 4th sub at the back (longest distance cable) via XLR.

I'm nowhere near this setup yet, but it'd be good to know if it has the capability, in case I add more subs in the future.

I like the XLR outs of the AV10 but the A1H would be more economical, even if I have to add an external amp for LCR later on.

If I am facing such a choice, I would still pay the extra and get the AV10 because I have the power amps already, so 30 lbs lighter and a smaller box is attractive, based on the principle that it's only money...:( For people who don't have all the amp channels, but have enough for the LCR channels, then the A1H is definitely a better value as it offers the same preamp/dac performance, and the build in amps should have enough juice to drive the surround and height speakers. It goes without saying but I'd say it anyway, for those who much prefer a one box solution then the A1H is likely the best available right now, based on specs and measurements (predicted only).

soerenssen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But that'd be 17+4 channels, right?
10xESS9018K2M gives you only 20 channels.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But that'd be 17+4 channels, right?
10xESS9018K2M gives you only 20 channels.
I thought the A1H and AV10 have the VOG speaker which isn’t used simultaneously with Dolby layouts, such that for really nice home theaters with 21 speakers, you are only addressing 20 at any given time.

quattro98

Forum Donor
Thanks! I thought I'd read it, but it was probably from the video.

Great point, I remember something said about that too so I re-watch the info available and the Maximo video, and edited my previous post adding the link to the video, time mark approx. 21:00 minute. It is not entirely clear exactly what the presenter meant. If it is the way we interpret it, then we have to give Denon the credit that they did a perfect job on this feature.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought the A1H and AV10 have the VOG speaker which isn’t used simultaneously with Dolby layouts, such that for really nice home theaters with 21 speakers, you are only addressing 20 at any given time.
That is my understanding too. As far as I know VOG and Atmos are never used simultaneously, it is one or the other, as dictated by the contents anyway.

UK-Marky

I like the concept of DEQ, but I have found it to be too aggressive.
I also find DEQ a bit agressive in default settings so I set the offset to -15dB which reduces the amount applied. Obvioulsy you can try -5dB, -10dB and -15db and see which sounds best.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I also find DEQ a bit agressive in default settings so I set the offset to -15dB which reduces the amount applied. Obvioulsy you can try -5dB, -10dB and -15db and see which sounds best.

I know, but in some domestic situations, that is too much. Sometimes, when the volume is down, you do not want help with the bass. Such as when my wife is nodding off on the sofa next to me. When I turn it down, I want to turn it all down and do not want to have to fiddle with settings in the process.

squared80

Not only that, but also since there are only 10 ES9018K2M DAC ICs, it means if you assign 3 of the XLR outputs to LCR, you will have only 1 output left for the subwoofers. For example, if you use XLR subouts 2,3,4, then you can still use RCA Subout 1 for your subwoofers but not RCA Subouts 2,3,4 because the XLRs have already been assigned the DACs.

That's my interpretation, you should email Denon and see what they have to say in case I am wrong, and obviously I can be wrong. The reason I could be wrong is that in theory, Denon could re-assign the RCA subout(s) to the front and/or center channels that the XLR subouts re-assigned to via an automatic switching scheme.

Edit:

For example:

Let's say you reassigned XLR subouts 2,3, and 4 to front L, C, and R, Denon would then sense that, and would also re-assign the RCA front left, center and right channels to the subouts 2,3, and 4. If they did that, then we can in fact use the XLR subouts 2,3,4 as front left, center and right, and still get to keep all the RCA subouts fully functional.

That's the part that Denon, or a member who owns the A1H to confirm and share the findings.

For reference, in the Maximo training video, time mark 21:00 minute, product manager Oliver Kriete did seem to say that the XLR reassign function would only affect the XLRs, and that means the RCAs can still be used for 4 subwoofers. Again, if that it true, then Denon has really gone the extra miles to automatically reassign the front L,C,R to the subwoofers 2,3,4 and that would be a great and wonderfully useful feature for some users.

Not that I am doubting what Mr. Kriete said, but I doubt if our interpretation is correct, because I searched through the owner's manual and there is no mentioning of the 4 RCA subouts would still be fully functional, if the XLR subouts are re-assigned to the front L, R and C channels. My doubt is, as mentioned before, there are only 4 pieces of the ES9018K2M DAC ICs so there are a maximum of 20 channels available so for the RCAs and XLRs to work the way Mr. Kriete described, Denon would have to re-assigned not only the XLR subouts, but also the front L, R, and C DAC channels to the RCA subouts simultaneously. Have they really gone that extra mile? That seems highly likely, based on the linked video, but would be nice if someone can confirm it by testing.

At the approx. 21:10 mark:

View attachment 343501

Yes, you can assign the XLR as LCR and use the RCA's as Subwoofer outs. That's what I do.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, you can assign the XLR as LCR and use the RCA's as Subwoofer outs. That's what I do.
I know you can do that, but my question is whether you can use XLR for LCR, that is, used 3 of the 4 available, and still use the RCAs for 4 subwoofers, not 1,2, or 3, but all 4. By the sound of it, it can do that, but just want to be sure that you are using all 4 subwoofers on the RCAs. Thanks.

CJ4life

I know you can do that, but my question is whether you can use XLR for LCR, that is, used 3 of the 4 available, and still use the RCAs for 4 subwoofers, not 1,2, or 3, but all 4. By the sound of it, it can do that, but just want to be sure that you are using all 4 subwoofers on the RCAs. Thanks.
Yes you can. All four RCA outputs remain active, even if using the XLRs for your LCR speakers.

This was also discussed at some point in the AVR-A1H webinar hosted by Denon, though I can't remember the time stamp.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes you can. All four RCA outputs remain active, even if using the XLRs for your LCR speakers.

This was also discussed at some point in the AVR-A1H webinar hosted by Denon, though I can't remember the time stamp.
If you are referring to the Masimo one, I posted the link, and time stamp. I felt it wasn't explicit enough in Oliver's comments in that video webinar, so I asked an owner to confirm. Thanks again. It really is a useful feature.

squared80

Yes.

Unplugged

I just got my Denon A1H set up.

when it is on, I can hear the 2 front speakers + center hissing if I put my ear within 12 inches from the tweeter. The hiss seems constant level with volume set from 0-80 or so.

However, If I raise the volume past 85 or so the hiss increases and becomes audible in the room. This happens regardless of input selected.

is this normal? I was somehow hoping to find dead silence since this is Denon’s top tier model.

I have a set of Klipsch connected. However, I don’t know why this would be relevant.

I guess it’d be ok if this were my previous $500 receiver. But Is this expected at this price range?

Unplugged

I’d consider to undo the setup (after saving it), in order to check whether the hissing is present in an un-setupped stage too.
you mean like a factory refresh? Also you mean saving it to a USB I assume?

Quick update on findings:
I noticed hiss goes out when the amp is set to pre out only ( no surprise)

Unplugged all connections from the A1H except the speakers. Same hiss.

Last edited:

Grandzoltar

Forum Donor

I plugged my old Denon receiver in. AVR-S760H. I just plugged in the hdmi, and one speaker. And to my surprise, same hiss. However half the level as in the A1H. I can only hear it from 6inches out. Instead of 12 inches out as with the A1H.
Horn speakers with high sensitivity are prone to hiss

Grandzoltar

Forum Donor
Either A get an external amp with better snr or B get different speakers

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Can you try connecting just 1 speaker cable at a time (as you did, no other connections, just one speaker cable), a shorter one if possible, and make sure the cable is clear from any power source, say at least 12 inches away? That is just to see if the hiss is from the cable picking up noise.

In any case, if you can hear hiss from your listening position of more than a couple meters it is not acceptable as it shouldn't be the case given the specs of a flag ship level AVR/AVC, even an AVR-X3400H would not have such an issue, the only time I could hear hiss like you did was with my Marantz AV8801, that does have much poorer SNR based on bench test results. Denon's SNR should put them in the near silent level from a couple meters as long as there are no major noise pick up issues from the cables.

So if you cannot eliminate the audible hiss, you should request a replacement and make sure the seller knows that if the replacement does the same, you would want a refund.

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just got my Denon A1H set up.

when it is on, I can hear the 2 front speakers + center hissing if I put my ear within 12 inches from the tweeter. The hiss seems constant level with volume set from 0-80 or so.

However, If I raise the volume past 85 or so the hiss increases and becomes audible in the room. This happens regardless of input selected.

is this normal? I was somehow hoping to find dead silence since this is Denon’s top tier model.

I have a set of Klipsch connected. However, I don’t know why this would be relevant.

I guess it’d be ok if this were my previous $500 receiver. But Is this expected at this price range?
"when it is on, I can hear the 2 front speakers + center hissing if I put my ear within 12 inches from the tweeter. The hiss seems constant level with volume set from 0-80 or so."

If this is coming from the AVR transistors (which I assume it does), then hiss should get louder as you turn the volume up. Not constant but louder.

Unplugged

"when it is on, I can hear the 2 front speakers + center hissing if I put my ear within 12 inches from the tweeter. The hiss seems constant level with volume set from 0-80 or so."

If this is coming from the AVR transistors (which I assume it does), then hiss should get louder as you turn the volume up. Not constant but louder.
That’s what I expected. Which is why I found that peculiar and out it in my comment.

It does get louder once I pass volume 85 or so. At which point I can hear it from my listening position.

But pretty much constant before then. At least to my ears.

Top Bottom