• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crown Xti4002 Pro Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 37 21.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 66 38.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 51 29.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 18 10.5%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Crown XTi 4002 DSP stereo professional amplifier. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $1,345.
Crown XTi 4002 Stereo Professional Pro Amplifier Review.jpg

The design wants to look fancy and it kind of gets there with those vents. The segmented LCD and menu navigation is serviceable but the amplifier is really designed to be configured and managed using JB HiQnet software. There are no network connections so you use USB for that purpose:

Crown XTi 4002 Stereo Professional Pro Amplifier back panel XLR Balanced Speakon Review.jpg

Yes, the sample is pretty beat up physically but what makes these amplifiers "professional" is to take that kind of use and keep going. I like that standard binding posts are provided in addition to SpeakOn. The former is more likely to be usable in a home hi-fi scenario.

I was pleased to see multiple settings for the fan. Alas, as you see later, even at lower power usage the fan comes up and makes fair bit of racket. This is aggravated by major whining from internal transformer(s) when pushed to max power. So really not that usable in a standard hi-fi cabinet.

Note: our company, Madrona Digital is a dealer for Harman products and we are a heavy customer of Crown Amplifiers (for custom installs, not consumer). So feel free to read any level of bias into my subjective remarks.

If you are new to my testing, please watch this video on understanding amplifier measurements.

Crown XTi4002 Amplifier Measurements
I usually post the warm up at the end of the review but it is an interesting graph so let's look at it first:
Crown XTi 4002 Stereo Professional Pro Amplifier Warm up Measurements.png

I usually see amplifiers stabilize after a few minutes but the 4002 kept improving so I let it run for some 18 minutes (1100 second) where performance suddenly worsened. I was wearing headphones so I took them off only to hear pretty annoying whine from the fan going to full power even though total power being produces was just 10 watts. Clearly the amplifier wants to run warmer for optimal performance but priority is given to reliability. To that end, the design should have been optimized for a lower temperature. Fortunately we are talking about just 1 or 2 dBs.

Here is our standard dashboard:
Crown XTi 4002 Stereo Professional Pro Amplifier Measurements.png

We don't expect a whole lot from pro amps and that is where we are with the 4002:
Best pro stereo amplifier review.png

Best pro stereo amplifier zoom review.png

I should probably create a separate set of graphs for pro amps. Noise performance is not great:

Crown XTi 4002 Stereo Professional Pro Amplifier SNR Measurements.png

Not good numbers for any kind close in listening like in hi-fi applications.

Frequency response is flat and load independent which is good:
Crown XTi 4002 Stereo Professional Pro Amplifier Frequency Response Measurements.png

Looks like input is digitized at 48 kHz sampling rate. Distortion is naturally high by consumer amplifier standards:

Crown XTi 4002 Stereo Professional Pro Amplifier 19 20 kHz intermodulation distortion Measurem...png

Crown XTi 4002 Stereo Professional Pro Amplifier Multitone Measurements.png

Crosstalk was just "OK"

Crown XTi 4002 Stereo Professional Pro Amplifier Crosstalk Measurements.png

These amplifiers are sold almost completely on the basis of how much power they produce. As such, a lot of exaggeration goes on when it comes to that. Let's see how the 4002 does:
Crown XTi 4002 Stereo Professional Pro Amplifier Power 4 ohm Measurements.png

Crown XTi 4002 Stereo Professional Pro Amplifier Max and Peak Power 4 ohm Measurements.png

Considering that I am using a shared household outlet (12 gauge feed but 15 amp rating) this is impressive amount of power and consistent with company specs more or less.

Switching to 8 ohm load we still get plenty of power:
Crown XTi 4002 Stereo Professional Pro Amplifier Power 8 ohm Measurements.png

I then threw the PowerCube at it to see how well it does with both reactive and loads going down to 2 ohm. As if to to say, "come on, give me all you have" the amplifier made all kinds of noises and lit up its red LEDs in protest. But still managed to produce numbers that are just unbelievable:
Crown XTi 4002 Stereo Professional Pro Amplifier Reactive Power Measurements.png

Yes, the amplifier produced nearly 90 volts out of its speaker terminals (both channels driven). And didn't care one bit what load I fed it! To put this in context, this is how much power we have:
Crown XTi 4002 Stereo Professional Pro Amplifier Power 2 4 8 ohm Measurements.png

Stunning! Note that the measurement only lasts long enough for the analyzer to capture it so likely less than a second. But still, the amplifier robustly fought the difficult load and peaked to nearly 8 kilowatts at 2 ohm load!!! It never went into any kind of protection and just ran.

Varying frequencies doesn't seem to change the response much:
Crown XTi 4002 Stereo Professional Pro Amplifier Power 4 ohm vs frequency Measurements.png

Finally, you are likely going to hear the amplifier powering down:
Crown XTi 4002 Stereo Professional Pro Amplifier Power on off pop Measurements.png

Conclusions
By consumer hi-fi standards, the noise and distortion is quite high. That is not the target of this amplifier class though. It is meant to produce a lot of power and do it day in and day out. And provide in-built DSP to handle jobs like crossover, delay, etc. To that end, the XTi 4002 delivers on its promise in an impressively way -- better than any amplifier I have tested to date. Even using 15/20 amp rated 120 volt supply we have in US, we get copious amount of power.

Noise is a major issue for home use though so only proper application is in a remote location or at least locked up in a cabinet.

I am going to recommend the Crown XTi4002 based on its intended market, or home use for driving subwoofers and such.

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For huge amounts of power but costing more I would definitely buy NC2k instead. Measures better, no fan, tons of power.

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For huge amounts of power but costing more I would definitely buy NC2k instead. Measures better, no fan, tons of power.

The Apollon is €6000 a pair. US$6700.

The Crown is US$1300, 1/5th the cost.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is built for stage use or similar. You can get speakon for the VTV units at least, but I'd be wary of throwing them in the back of a van. They're just not built for the same use case. I used to produce shows in college, the choice for that type of use isn't even a question. The DSP can be a big help, too. The mixer may not have as convenient a way to set up crossovers etc.

If you only need X,000 watts, sure, you have options. If you need to take something from gig to gig for PA use, that won't break, I think this is obviously the better option. Nobody can hear 60 vs. 80 vs. 100 SINAD in a crowded bar over the drum kit. But they will throw beers at you if the amp dies in the middle of a set.

To me this seems decent for the money if you actually want stage gear and not just something that pumps out a decent voltage.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This amp is maybe near lethal or could be lethal with this kind of DC voltage. Wow!

index.php
Yeh, I meant to point that the dangerous high voltages this amplifier produces. You definitely don't want to touch the speaker terminals when it is running near or at full power.

Surprising how the more affordable Crown XLS appears to have slightly better SINAD compared to the XTi.
But with that reactive load test and a wide-voltage power supply, it's pretty much bulletproof to any tough scenarios out there.

And with the ante upped, would it be possible to see maybe the i-Tech HD or MacroTech in the future?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
And with the ante upped, would it be possible to see maybe the i-Tech HD or MacroTech in the future?
Hopefully someone will offer them for testing. I considered buying one myself for testing but even dealer cost is way up there.

TheWalkman

If you’re playing loud music through a PA to a bunch of drunks clubbing, I suppose this amp fits the bill. I’m really quite surprised at how poorly it performs relative to what we expect at ASR.

A brute force amp, clearly emphasizing quantity over quality!

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you’re playing a loud music through a PA to a bunch of drunks clubbing, I suppose this this fits the bill. I’m really quite surprised at how poorly this amp performs relative to what we expect at ASR.

A brute force amp, clearly emphasizing quantity over quality!
I seriously doubt you could tell a "PA" amp to others except when you're unreasonably drunk with pre-assumed bullshit.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, amazing to see a modern amplifier with TO-3 transistor packaging!
Yeah, I was amazed at that too. It looks nice and the 125 V caps at the power supply output are nice too.

Reactions: pdb

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So what amps other than these Crowns use such components/characteristics?

Reactions: pdb
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I've never seen TO3 metal case transistors used in a class D amp. This is a new one for me.
These are not class D but standard AB amplifier driven by two rail supply voltages.

Top Bottom