• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coming soon: MiniDSP Flex with HDMI input

kadajawi

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why not support DLBC? Besides, eight channels are really not enough.

Ten42

Why not support DLBC? Besides, eight channels are really not enough.
You can do equally as good, if not better with MSO as long as you're willing to put in the time and effort to learn how to use it. That's worth saving $350. But you need one output channel per subwoofer for MSO so that eats into the channel count of the Flex HT :/

jaakkopetteri

You can do equally as good, if not better with MSO as long as you're willing to put in the time and effort to learn how to use it. That's worth saving $350. But you need one output channel per subwoofer for MSO so that eats into the channel count of the Flex HT :/
If required, I would see little harm using a separate 2x4HD for subs to spare some channels

Outrider_

This product really piqued my interest! My living room setup currently consists of LG C9 as a source, DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core processor/DAC, Genelec F One (A) and a pair of Genelec 8020B's. Anti-Mode is connected with optical cable. I'm pretty happy with the setup although I have been thinking about possibly upgrading to bigger Genelecs. I love the room correction on the Anti-Mode but the volume control is a hassle. Would this unit be able to do the same (and possibly more) than the Anti-Mode unit in my use case.

Last edited:

jaakkopetteri

This product really piqued my interest! My living room setup currently consists of LG C9 as a source, DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core processor/DAC, Genelec F One (A) and a pair of Genelec 8020B's. Anti-Mode is connected with optical cable. I'm pretty happy with the setup although I have been thinking about possibly upgrading to bigger Genelecs. I love the room correction on the Anti-Mode but the volume control is a hassle. Would this unit be able to do the same (and possibly more) than the Anti-Mode unit in my use case.
Dirac is at least as good as the Anti-Mode. For manual tuning with a UMIK and possibly MSO there's a bit of a learning curve, but shouldn't be a big deal getting results similar to the Anti-Mode

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An automatic hdmi 2.1 switch in front of this one to allow for expansion
Am I fooling myself that any (upstream) device to make use out of miniDSP flexHT needs to have dual (2x simultaneous) HDMI outputs?
There is no pass-thru HDMI, only an input. Odd...:oops:
And, I was not able to find any details (even in company FAQ) whether this flextHT is HDMI2.1, and/or HDCP2.2, and/or 10bit HDR.
Any upstream @4K (that is running >HDMI2.0) may have to adapt. Odd...:oops:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Am I fooling myself that any (upstream) device to make use out of miniDSP flexHT needs to have dual (2x simultaneous) HDMI outputs?
There is no pass-thru HDMI, only an input. Odd...:oops:
And, I was not able to find any details (even in company FAQ) whether this flextHT is HDMI2.1, and/or HDCP2.2, and/or 10bit HDR.
Any upstream @4K (that is running >HDMI2.0) may have to adapt. Odd...:oops:
Here's one possible setup w/o the need for dual HDMI out:
Blank diagram (7).png

And in case your TV doesn't have an eARC port, you could use an HDMI eARC extractor to send the video to your TV and the audio to the Flex.
They're inexpensive little boxes.

jonfitch

I feel like they need an updated NanoAVR with 40gbps ports. If you use the legacy one you have to use 2 of your graphics cards HDMI ports, one for video to your TV and one for audio input to the NanoAVR. Otherwise you are stuck buying a receiver with Dirac Live built-in.

xrqp

Forum Donor
I do believe the Shield will decode and output LPCM. What a great device. Mine is still going strong from 2015 as our bedroom Kodi box.
I agree. I got a Shield Pro for my LG tv about 2 or 3 years ago because the LG tv did not do DTS. The Shield Pro converts DTS to LPCM. The chain would be the diagram above by staticV3, except the Apple TV is replaced with the Shield Pro, and only gives stereo. I only use stereo when I do this.

This link says "...Shield outputs all PCM audio as 16-bit over HDMI. So any 24-bit content decoded to PCM, or originating as PCM, gets downsampled to 16-bit..." audiosciencereview

This link says "To be clear: Shield will NOT transcode any codecs to 5.1 PCM under any circumstances, regardless of what is enabled in Available Formats. You will get PCM 2.0 only no matter what." link

Here is some info from minidsp https://support.minidsp.com/support...hat-is-the-minidsp-flex-ht-and-what-it-isn-t-

Last edited:

juliangst

Do we know a price yet?

A marantz cinema 60 is just 1100€ and comes with full decoding and surround upsampling , build in amps with preouts and room correction.
If the Flex HT is nearly 1000€ in price it’s hard to justify getting it over a proper AVR

xrqp

Forum Donor
I cannot figure out how to get movies to play surround sound as LPCM over HDMI or over USB.

Has anyone figured out how to do either? If not, it seems the Flex HT is of no use for surround sound movies.

Last edited:

jaakkopetteri

Do we know a price yet?

A marantz cinema 60 is just 1100€ and comes with full decoding and surround upsampling , build in amps with preouts and room correction.
If the Flex HT is nearly 1000€ in price it’s hard to justify getting it over a proper AVR
I would personally make the comparison with the Cinema 70s due to the form factor, and even then the Flex HT is a lot smaller. Also has way better audio quality (audibility of course questionable), more capable room correction (Dirac + MSO), and WiSa (if they ever come up with separate receiver modules...). I guess nothing prevents making simple upsampling filters with the Flex HT either :)

Last edited:

juliangst

I would personally make the comparison with the Cinema 70s due to the form factor, and even then the Flex HT is a lot smaller. Also has way better audio quality (audibility of course questionable), more capable room correction (Dirac + MSO), and WiSa (if they ever come up with separate receiver modules...). I guess nothing prevents making simple upsampling filters with the Flex HT either :)
WiSA is a nice addition and could be the main reason some people will get it.

The deal breaker to me is that it can’t do surround upsampling.
The main reason I want to get into surround audio is the ability to use a Dolby or Auro upmixer.

tomasai911

Here's one possible setup w/o the need for dual HDMI out:
View attachment 285925

And in case your TV doesn't have an eARC port, you could use an HDMI eARC extractor to send the video to your TV and the audio to the Flex.
They're inexpensive little boxes.
so exactly what movies will output 5.1/7.1 LPCM from Apple TV so that I can use the flex HT for 5.1/7.1 dirac live processing??
As long as I can also add a streamer to another digital input channel then this would be a great usage for 2.1 and HT processing with center/surround WISA based speakers for a (potential) great all around 2 channel/home theater system!!

Joffy1780

so exactly what movies will output 5.1/7.1 LPCM from Apple TV so that I can use the flex HT for 5.1/7.1 dirac live processing??
All of them. Anything that is not Atmos is already output as LPCM and if you change the settings to 'Atmos off' any Atmos encoded films will be output as 7.1 LPCM.

tomasai911

All of them. Anything that is not Atmos is already output as LPCM and if you change the settings to 'Atmos off' any Atmos encoded films will be output as 7.1 LPCM.
Looks like the Flex HT would be winner for my situation then. I can still use my node to stream music over its digital outputs to the Flex HT and use Dirac Live room correction which will definitely be a step up from basic sub crossover that comes with the node.

Absolutely love my Apple TV 4K and 24b/48k is the output sample rate from Dirac Live which I doubt I will notice the difference at least for Apple Sound/movies.

Looks like a potential hit for me at least!!

Miniyouuuu

The HT lacks a 12v trigger out. No way to wake up the amp when ARC HDMI of the HT turns on the TV and the apple Tv.

Top Bottom